The three most disappointing things about this season so far (other than losing)

Frobby

Of course, the shear fact that we played ourselves out of any chance of contention within the first 30 games of the season is the most disappointing thing about this season.    But beyond that, there are three things really gnawing at me:

1.   The incredibly disappointing performance of Austin Hays in AA this year.    I had this guy pegged as our RF for the next 6-7 years, with the only question being exactly when this year he’d be ready.    Now, I don’t know what the hell to think about him.

2.    The up and down performance of Dylan Bundy.     Just like last year, he started the season looking like a stud, and this time, I thought he’d maintain it.    I still expect him to have some more great performances this year, but he just doesn’t seem cut out to consistently excel every fifth day.   Very frustrating.   

3.   The Orioles’ refusal to deal with the Tillman and Davis situations.    It’s bad enough that these guys have been as bad as they are, but the O’s reluctance to address either situation with urgency has really shaken my confidence in management at all levels.    It’s an organization that can’t admit its mistakes and minimize the damage, and that’s a terribly dangerous thing.    

There have been countless other negatives this year, but those are the three that really gnaw at me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Davis is owed $130+Million. Not sure what you expect from the Angelos clan on that contract. Do you really expect them to eat that contract so early? After Buck rallied for it? Please. If you are frustrated at that, you haven't been watching the Orioles for the past 20 years.

Oh and my boy Hess looks better than the 4A fodder tag you labeled him as:)

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

4. Not only are they losing they can't even play aesthetically pleasing ball.  Doesn't matter if they win or lose it's going to be ugly.

I agree with this too.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Of course, the shear fact that we played ourselves out of any chance of contention within the first 30 games of the season is the most disappointing thing about this season.    But beyond that, there are three things really gnawing at me:

1.   The incredibly disappointing performance of Austin Hays in AA this year.    I had this guy pegged as our RF for the next 6-7 years, with the only question being exactly when this year he’d be ready.    Now, I don’t know what the hell to think about him.

2.    The up and down performance of Dylan Bundy.     Just like last year, he started the season looking like a stud, and this time, I thought he’d maintain it.    I still expect him to have some more great performances this year, but he just doesn’t seem cut out to consistently excel every fifth day.   Very frustrating.   

3.   The Orioles’ refusal to deal with the Tillman and Davis situations.    It’s bad enough that these guys have been as bad as they are, but the O’s reluctance to address either situation with urgency has really shaken my confidence in management at all levels.    It’s an organization that can’t admit its mistakes and minimize the damage, and that’s a terribly dangerous thing.    

There have been countless other negatives this year, but those are the three that really gnaw at me.

Add to this list:

4. (Edit. Make that 5. CoC beat me to 4)

I can’t even focus on a game anymore, even for five minutes. There was a time when I’d not even miss an inning. Even in the dark ages. Meaningless baseball with a bumbling team and directionless front office and stubborn ownership. 

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Add to this list:

4. (Edit. Make that 5. CoC beat me to 4)

I can’t even focus on a game anymore, even for five minutes. There was a time when I’d not even miss an inning. Even in the dark ages. Meaningless baseball with a bumbling team and directionless front office and stubborn ownership. 

They are not a real easy team to root for.

1 hour ago, Rene88 said:

Oh and my boy Hess looks better than the 4A fodder tag you labeled him as:)

For the record, I never said this, and it’s the second time you’ve falsely accused me of it.    But perhaps you should have waited beyond the third inning before making your proclamation.    Tough fifth inning there.   

1 minute ago, Roy Firestone said:

i think the Hays pronouncement was a bit premature. He had some minor injuries andI believe he will heat up and hot for average and power. 

When he does, I’ll be happy.    But my pronouncemt is about what’s disappointed me so far.   He’s been extremely disappointing.

Completely unwatchable.

No belief at all that they can properly handle a rebuild, which includes a Machado trade.

Lack of good prospects.

Fascination with terrible vets.

I mean, there's so little good here.

The Tillman thing is particularly disappointing.  While it doesn't come at the expense of giving someone who is immensely qualified a better shot at accumulating ML innings, it's still terrible to see.  

I don't think they can get out of the Davis contract anytime soon.

I'll agree with Frobby's 3, but for me it's the continued lack of interest in the South American market.  @Frobby that gives me much hesitation to trust management to do anything correct, even more so than the Davis/Tillman situations.  

It would have been nice to see Hays come out absolutely raking and take the RF job by June.  I hope Firestone's assessment that he's got some injuries is true but he still seems to be playing regularly.  They can't be that serious.

Archived