TonySoprano

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

3 games now
1988 27-59
2018 24-62

'03 DET 21-65.  They subsequently won 5 of their next 7.  Look out below, we may fall below them soon, but I expect they'll keep the 162 game record for futility.

That 2003 Tigers team had some awful pitching but they didn't have anyone hitting .153.  It will be close. 

I am really lazy and thus asking for help, but who did we draft in 1989 after that terrible 88 season?  Did we at least get "something" out of being so bad.  I'm holding out hope that we can get that number 1 pick next year, but the Orioles will probably go on a meaningless winning streak late in September to screw that up as well.  (see Teixeira, Mark)

Edit:  It was Ben.  I did the research.  lol

1 minute ago, Dipper9 said:

I am really lazy and thus asking for help, but who did we draft in 1989 after that terrible 88 season?  Did we at least get "something" out of being so bad.  I'm holding out hope that we can get that number 1 pick next year, but the Orioles will probably go on a meaningless winning streak late in September to screw that up as well.  (see Teixeira, Mark)

We got Ben McDonald.  White Sox got Frank Thomas at No. 7.  Ouch. 

3 minutes ago, JR Oriole said:

No. 1 pick is nice (although I still think the Royals will get it....just to keep the salt applied from 2014), but it isn't necessary.  Trout, Altuve, Betts.....those guys seem pretty good.

Well, the O's could have drafted Trout. But we had a better player in mind: Matt Hobgood.

Not sure where I would rank that in the best drafts in Orioles history...

1 minute ago, Mondo Trasho said:

Well, the O's could have drafted Trout. But we had a better player in mind: Matt Hobgood.

Not sure where I would rank that in the best drafts in Orioles history...

Trout went 25th...so a lot of teams missed that one.  Betts went 172nd.  But being on the Red Sox automatically makes everyone better. 

This No. 1 pick thing is completely overblown. 

This team is tied with the '62 Mets now at 24-62. And think about this - last year's team started out 22-10. They could have gone 3-51 from there and they would still have had a better record than this club.

1 hour ago, JR Oriole said:

We got Ben McDonald.  White Sox got Frank Thomas at No. 7.  Ouch. 

Yeah, and the teams between the Orioles and the White Sox drafted such illustrious players as Tyler Houston, Roger Salkeld, Jeff Jackson, Donald Harris, and Paul Coleman.  What exactly is the point of such comments?  The Orioles got 13.8 WAR out of McDonald during his time here.  I'd be ecstatic if Gausman or Bundy end up with that by the time they're gone.

For me, it's a matter of being skeptical that having the #1 pick next year is how this team is going to get better. This isn't basketball, having a lottery pick isn't going to propel you to greatness. There needs to be a sustained, concerted effort to have a lot of guys from a variety of sources in order to really compete on a regular basis. I'm not convinced this team has the infrastructure to do this.

18 minutes ago, Mondo Trasho said:

For me, it's a matter of being skeptical that having the #1 pick next year is how this team is going to get better. This isn't basketball, having a lottery pick isn't going to propel you to greatness. There needs to be a sustained, concerted effort to have a lot of guys from a variety of sources in order to really compete on a regular basis. I'm not convinced this team has the infrastructure to do this.

If you think that drafting Strasburg, Harper, and Rendon (who was a consensus #1 pick if not for injury concerns) haven’t made the Nationals a great franchise to cheer for, you’re wrong. But it only took several years of being a disgustingly bad franchise to do it.

Not that I disagree with your other points. The Orioles need to scout foreign players, they need to make TIMELY trades and scout other teams players, they need to be able to lock up the correct talent (right player, right price), and they need to know when to be sellers and when to be buyers.

On these four things, and really on these four things alone, are why the Orioles are a bad team today. They’ve done none of it, and not even attempted any of it. Armchair GMs are doing better jobs of this.

4 hours ago, Dipper9 said:

Edit:  It was Ben.  I did the research.  lol

Olson 88

McDonals 89

Mussina 90 

Not to bad. 

We do win any tiebreaker over KC since they had a better record than us last year.  

Archived