Who here has had enough?

gtman55

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

Good post.

Yes, the minor league system is vastly improved and with room to still improve, its no longer the worse in MLB.

Yes, losing sucks, but i dont feel like I did, in the 14 year black hole, of course, nobody wants to see this losing keep going on either.

Hopefully the organization makes some good moves between now and the trading deadline that helps reduce the anxiety of Oriole fandom. There are tons of pessimistic posts about the ability the organization, a few authored by me. We are all anxious to some extent. If the organization pulls off some quality trades and promotes the players knocking on the door by the deadline then I think a lot of fanatics will feel some relief. It would be great to see the outfield defense dramatically improve, some energy from young players, etc., especially if the Orioles pull off some good trades and bring more talent into the organization. The Orioles have set the bar pretty low at this point, so hopefully they can do some good things to restore some of the confidence/optimism for the future.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Ohfan67 said:

Hopefully the organization makes some good moves between now and the trading deadline that helps reduce the anxiety of Oriole fandom. There are tons of pessimistic posts about the ability the organization, a few authored by me. We are all anxious to some extent. If the organization pulls off some quality trades and promotes the players knocking on the door by the deadline then I think a lot of fanatics will feel some relief. It would be great to see the outfield defense dramatically improve, some energy from young players, etc., especially if the Orioles pull off some good trades and bring more talent into the organization. The Orioles have set the bar pretty low at this point, so hopefully they can do some good things to restore some of the confidence/optimism for the future.

I dont think the org has reach the point as in the Syd era, when players refused to come to Baltimore to play.

2 hours ago, DRJacobs said:

Nope. Not even close. Syd wasn't all there mentally. Embarassing.

Syd was certainly not a very good GM when he was with us, however, he did great things over his career...including the great KC Royals teams of the mid 1970s with Brett, Frank White, and the Royals baseball academy  and then did great work with Pittsburgh in the mid to late 1980s, hiring Jim Leyland to the manager post, drafting Barry Bonds, trading for Bonilla, Andy Van Slyke and really building a 104 loss team to a winner...  And Angelos had a big hand in interfering with Syd too as he has done with every GM.  

On 6/4/2018 at 3:36 PM, OFFNY said:

o

I've been a COB since I was a little boy in the Fall of 1971, and I always will be.

I signed an emotional contract with those teams at that time, and it is a lifetime contract that is non-negotiable.

So if the Orioles go 2-160 over the course of a 162-game season, no, I have not (and will not have) had enough.

When I went to Fenway Park in September of 2009, the Orioles were in last place, 34 games behind the Yankees. When a Red Sox fan saw the way that I was dressed, he looked at me and said, "You have issues." 

I was just as proud to be an Oriole fan then as I was in 1971, 1979, 1983, or any other season that the Orioles have played since I jumped on their bandwagon 47 years ago. The players, managers, and coaches have changed, the teams' annual W-L records have changed, but the emotional contract remains the same.

At Fenway Park

o

o

The Orioles are 2-0 in games that I have attended this season.

They are 16-41 in all of the rest of their games.

o

20 hours ago, JR Oriole said:

I will say that I am extremely impressed with everyone who has NOT had enough.  For me (and I know for many others on the Board), it is this awful fear that we don't have the right people in place to execute a rebuild.  If we could be the Astros, or Cubs, or Braves even and do this the right way, I would be thrilled.  But we are so slow with everything that it seems less like careful deliberation and more like complete incompetence.   In terms of Angelos, long after his reign as owner is over, I will remember him for getting rid of a beloved announcer who many of us grew up listening to and a manager who would be named manager of the year and was responsible for taking us further in the playoffs than we have been since, as well as having a tenure as owner that produced org structure disarray, blocked trades, and minimal postseason success. I remember thinking when he became principal owner that he wanted to be another Steinbrenner.  Well, the difference is George was a tyrant who won his fans 11 pennants and 7 championships.  PA....0 on both counts.  Congrats on your legacy dude.....small shoes to fill.

First, don't sell yourself short and I would say you are spot on in drawing the line of what I call ACCOUNTABILITY and noting the question of do we have the right people in place to be successful.   I would only comment that while during the Reign of PA, or should it be the Rain of PA, we have had smart baseball people.  The issue frequently comes down to impediments to doing the job.  I was a fan of Andy MacPhail, but his time here is frequently over credited with DD's success.  But where we line up poorly, it almost always comes down to interference.  That of course is not to gloss over mistakes of baseball folks from Davey Johnson, to Buck, to AM and DD.  The job is just harder here than it needs to be.  But JR Oriole...keep the faith, my friend.

20 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

This year sucks and last year was pretty bad, but it's no where near the level of hell that was the middle and later parts of the 14 year losing streak. This year is a real stinker, but the O's are actually in better shape than they were during much if not all of the losing streak. They have a lot of cash coming off the books and their minor league system is significantly better (and yes, still not as good as it should be/we want, but better). There's some chaos in the FO now, but these aren't the Syd Thrift days. 

...another good post.  There are things about where we are that give me hope and the highlighted above is a big big part of that feeling.  Of course, the question raised by JR Oriole above stands.  Do we have the people in place to manage this successfully...IDK.  Honestly, IF PA announced DD, Buck and Brady all stayed and all answered to DD and were accountable to DD, and announced a budget I would feel better.  I think the process is more broken than the people....but my problem is I love the Orioles so its easy for me to "like our guys".  

11 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Syd was certainly not a very good GM when he was with us, however, he did great things over his career...including the great KC Royals teams of the mid 1970s with Brett, Frank White, and the Royals baseball academy  and then did great work with Pittsburgh in the mid to late 1980s, hiring Jim Leyland to the manager post, drafting Barry Bonds, trading for Bonilla, Andy Van Slyke and really building a 104 loss team to a winner...  And Angelos had a big hand in interfering with Syd too as he has done with every GM.  

Thanks for posting this. TNTORIOLE...

I played in college with guys that personally knew Syd and he really was a baseball legend who's name and reputation were sullied here.  I don't mean unfairly really as you note above, it is difficult to say he was a good GM while with us.  Most importantly, he did not manage the process of interference as well as say AM or DD.  

6 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Orioles are 2-0 in games that I have attended this season.

They are 16-41 in all of the rest of their games.

o

Ok, NOW I HAVE HAD ENOUGH!!!!

I KNEW this team was better than it has performed.  I KNEW there was a reason for this disaster.  I just couldn't put my finger on it.  Couldn't lay blame!!!!!  Until now!

OFFNY, clearly, this mess is your fault.  I want you held accountable.  IF you would only attend ALL of the rest of the games, we can still pull this thing out!  Get OFF your NY tail and get to the games man!!!!
FOR THE LOVE of Earl Weaver!

This portion of post is clearly in jest as the mess of 2018 could not possibly be the work on one person...certainly not one who would venture into Fenway Park dressed as an Oriole Superhero!!!  But seriously man...get to some games already.

Archived