Who is available for LF???

bigbird

BTW the Buerhle trade talks are active again and the Dodgers are interested. I'd say offer Bedard their way and we could get back Kemp and Kershaw and maybe Loney if we offer Mora and $ as well.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/dodgers/la-sp-dodrep2jul02,1,2898874.story?coll=la-headlines-sports-mlb-dodger

LA is gonna have to do something with Schmidt out for the year and the Padres arent going to sit on there hands as we are seeing with Barrett and Bradley.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Dodgers are 10th in the NL in runs scored, but 3rd in starters' ERA.

So you'll need to explain to me how the Dodgers would be better now, or ever, by taking away two of the better bats from an anemic offense, and replacing them with a guy that pitches once every 5 days.

Your plan would have the Dodgers losing a lot of 3-1, 2-0 type games on days when Bedard pitches. (Well every day, actually.)

I don't think anyone here is saying that the Dodgers should make a trade like this. But it seems like something that's up Colletti's alley. They seem to like pitching and defense oriented teams. And honestly that does make sense considering their stadium and the stadiums they play lots of games in (SF, SD). No sense trying to hit lots of homers.

I wish the Orioles would start building the team based on their home ballpark more. They have done it by looking for groundball pitchers but they have signed a lot of impatient contact hitters instead of looking for patient sluggers who may K a few more times.

Anyway, whether it's the right or wrong thing to do, the Dodgers are looking for another starter.

I think the thing to do is go after the guys who have really lost value.

Crisp and Baldelli are 2 guys i would target.

I still think a Ray/Burres type deal may entice the DRays. if they do indeed want to trade Rocco, no contender is likely to give up this for a guy who won't even start playing until August.

Now, the DRays are also likely to just hold onto Baldelli but if they are afraid he won't even stay healthy, it may be worth it to them to trade him now.

Burres would be their third best starter and Ray would be a cheap, young closer for them...Also makes it easier for them to trade Reyes or even keep Reyes and put Ray in the set up role for now.

I would also think you could Crisp cheaply. He is banged up again and the Sox have called Ellsbury up...Crisp may have no position on the team anymore.

I disagree with going after these 2. Rocco is never healthy and I dont think he is as good as people say he is.

Crisp is like another Patterson, great defense but terrible at the plate.

Id rather keep Ray and Burres then trade them to the Rays for Baldelli.

The Dodgers are 10th in the NL in runs scored, but 3rd in starters' ERA.

So you'll need to explain to me how the Dodgers would be better now, or ever, by taking away two of the better bats from an anemic offense, and replacing them with a guy that pitches once every 5 days.

Your plan would have the Dodgers losing a lot of 3-1, 2-0 type games on days when Bedard pitches. (Well every day, actually.)

Well Dave not being a Dodger fan and following that organization daily would not put me in a position to judge if it is a move the SHOULD make. However you implied Bedard was not worth two premium prospects and another player. This is just not true IMO.

That's mainly park illusion.

Is it?

Home ERA: 3.69 (4th in NL)

Road ERA: 3.87 (4th in NL)

Home OPS: .734 (10th in NL)

Road OPS: .720 (10th in NL)

Seems to me that they pitch well and hit poorly wherever they're playing.

Well Dave not being a Dodger fan and following that organization daily would not put me in a position to judge if it is a move the SHOULD make. However you implied Bedard was not worth two premium prospects and another player. This is just not true IMO.

So what you're saying is that Bedard is worth two premium prospects and another player, but that's not a price a team with lots of premium prospects, plus a need for another starter should pay.

That begs the question...

Bedard is worth two premium prospects and another player to whom?

Here is the way I see it.

Trade Cabrera and Penn/Fio for Rios

Trade Trax, Gibbons, and Patterson at the deadline and get whatever you can.

Sign Zambrano

Zambrano

Bedard

Guthrie

Loewen

Olson

2b Roberts

rf Markakis

lf Rios

ss Tejada

1b Huff

c Hernandez

3b Mora

dh Millar

cf Payton

I think a Cabrera / Rios deal would be the move I try to make. The Blue Jays apparently love Cabrera, so they'd probably be more inclined to make a move than TB would.

We might have to add in a little bit more, but I think Rios would be a terrific acquisition. Maybe something like Cabrera + Liz?

Rios would be perfect batting third in our lineup, moving Nick to 2nd or 5th.

I think Bedard is one of the 6-8 best starters in the AL right now, but he wasn't selected for the All Star team so I don't think he is viewed as such around the league. His value is high and likely higher than it has ever been, but it isn't "ask the world" high. Those two players from the Dodgers would be an excellent return for him IF they are as good as advertised. I've never seen either of them play, but both are projected as all star level players.

Especially not in a climate where throughout baseball, top ML-ready prospects like Kemp and Loney are guarded like the Hope diamond.

I don't seewhy the O's don't consider Rowand. He's a good defender and a much more consistent hitter than CPat and he's 29, so he has a few years left in him. And he probably won't cost that much.

We'll have to see about that last part.

Especially in light of the Matthews and Pierre deals of last offseason.

We'll have to see about that last part.

Especially in light of the Matthews and Pierre deals of last offseason.

Yeah, I think Rowand will get quite expensive. He's a solid player, but I don't think I'd want to give him a 4/$32M+ deal.

Archived