2018 Trade Deadline

Yardball85

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones has his numbers pretty much back to his career norms. .780 OPS. 

Britton has looked solid in 4 IP. Plus K.Herrera was traded early, so Britton could be the best reliever available. 

Brach, O’day, and Cashner could be dealt if we kick in some money or teams get desperate.  

Toss in Valencia, and we are looking a lot better off trade wise than we did a month or two ago. 

I think Valencia would be a smart pickup by a contender. Are not going to get a bunch for him but need to hold on to him.  

I would be very surprised to see O’Day get moved unless we ate a ton of money. I don’t see any starters being dealt. 

14 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think Valencia would be a smart pickup by a contender. Are not going to get a bunch for him but need to hold on to him.  

I would be very surprised to see O’Day get moved unless we ate a ton of money. I don’t see any starters being dealt. 

Valencia shouldn't even be on the roster. At best he's a pinch hitter on a good team. He has zero trade value (and rightly so). 

1 minute ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Valencia shouldn't even be on the roster. At best he's a pinch hitter on a good team. He has zero trade value (and rightly so). 

The guy can hit LHP. I agree he may not be a fit here but why just let him go? He isn’t blocking some star prospect. They can deal him around the deadline. Any AL team would take him as a DH in the playoffs vs LHP.  

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

This is a ridiculous statement.  He is a top 100 hitter in MLB this season.  These guys not only make teams but are also the kind of player playoff teams look for to fill out their rosters. 

5 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

This is a ridiculous statement.  He is a top 100 hitter in MLB this season.  These guys not only make teams but are also the kind of player playoff teams look for to fill out their rosters. 

He’s a decent role player.   He’s worth about 1 WAR per season over the last six seasons.   You might get slightly more for him than we got for Miguel Tejada (round 2), Derek Lee, Aubrey Huff or Steve Trachsel (round 1).   But not a lot more.   

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

The guy can hit LHP. I agree he may not be a fit here but why just let him go? He isn’t blocking some star prospect. They can deal him around the deadline. Any AL team would take him as a DH in the playoffs vs LHP.  

What purpose does he serve on a last place team? All he's doing to blocking ABs for a younger player. Valencia has no future on this team. In terms of the market for him, lets look at the playoff contenders in the AL. I don't see him as an upgrade over any of these DHs, including Morrison (who's probably the worst of the bunch). So your comment that "any AL team would take him as a DH" doesn't really hold water. Guys like Valencia are a dime a dozen and pass through waivers unclaimed all the time. 

American League DHs

Yankees - Rotation ofStanton, Sanchez, Judge and Andujar.

Red Sox - Martinez

Indians - Rotation of Encarnacion and Alonso.

Astros - Primarily Gattis.

Twins - Morrison

Mariners - Cruz

Angels - Pujols

A's - Davis

38 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I agree Valencia should be elsewhere. But what do we get in return? Mid-range catching prospect would work for me.

...a bag of balls / salary dump would work for me. He's just wasting a roster spot on a terrible team. 

23 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

What purpose does he serve on a last place team? All he's doing to blocking ABs for a younger player. Valencia has no future on this team. In terms of the market for him, lets look at the playoff contenders in the AL. I don't see him as an upgrade over any of these DHs, including Morrison (who's probably the worst of the bunch). So your comment that "any AL team would take him as a DH" doesn't really hold water. Guys like Valencia are a dime a dozen and pass through waivers unclaimed all the time. 

American League DHs

Yankees - Rotation ofStanton, Sanchez, Judge and Andujar.

Red Sox - Martinez

Indians - Rotation of Encarnacion and Alonso.

Astros - Primarily Gattis.

Twins - Morrison

Mariners - Cruz

Angels - Pujols

A's - Davis

Boston? Hanley is gone. Martinez can play the OF. 

Playoff teams always want quality depth pieces. National league teams would like a bat like Valencia off the bench. He is blocking nobody. 

2 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Boston? Hanley is gone. Martinez can play the OF. 

Playoff teams always want quality depth pieces. National league teams would like a bat like Valencia off the bench. He is blocking nobody. 

Boston already has Bradley, Betts, and Benintendi in the OF. And they're not benching Bradley because of his glove. I'm not going to go through the same drill with the NL contenders, but I'm guessing the majority of them have better options than Valencia. 

19 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

At the risk of sounding ridiculous, Valencia has no trade value. Imo

This is why reading this board is so frustrating at times. I know we're all homers to an extent, but are we really taking it to the extreme of inflating someone like Valencia's trade value? One team's trash is another team's trash...unless you're the Orioles. Then one teams trash is your starting 3B for the bulk of the season. 

2 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Believe it or not, Valencia is the Orioles' second best hitter this season. Granted, that probably says more about the team than about him, but he's had value to the club.

If you can trade him, sure, do it. But if not, you might as well keep him around. He may not be a part of the future, but you still need to have some competent hitters in the lineup in the meantime.

7 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

Believe it or not, Valencia is the Orioles' second best hitter this season. Granted, that probably says more about the team than about him, but he's had value to the club.

If you can trade him, sure, do it. But if not, you might as well keep him around. He may not be a part of the future, but you still need to have some competent hitters in the lineup in the meantime.

When Beckham comes back he should be played at 3B everyday so we can see what we have to work with next year. Then they should call up one of the young OFs and make Trumbo or Mancini the DH (put the other at 1B). That should be their roster for the rest of the season. There's no place for Valencia. 

Archived