2018 overall draft grades

15 hours ago, weams said:

When all the signings are in, the drafts can be graded. 

As others have noted, I think we have to wait a few years before getting a true grade for this draft, not just who we sign and for how much money.

16 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

Ha, I forgive you.

Grenier could be a great pick, but the swing is garbage and needs to be completely reworked, and that's too much risk for me at that draft slot.

This is obviously speculative but you'd think if they really wanted Grenier they could have offered him overslot at 87 to try and buy him down to the 3rd round, he definitely didn't sound like he expected to get picked so highly. It might have required another senior or two in the top 10 rounds, but I think it's a realistic scenario.

I agree on Grenier, an all glove/no bat SS shouldn't be picked in the 1st round.  You can pick up a Paul Yanish type ML free agent every offseason very cheaply, so no reason to spend a 1st round pick on someone with the same profile.  The 1st round should be about picking prospects with the potential upside for impact major leaguers.  And you certainly don't draft for need in the 1st round.  That being said, if they can save enough money on Rodriguez and Grenier to sign a couple high upside overslots from later in the draft, I'll feel a lot better about the draft.

Archived