Frobby

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. NATIONALS, 6/20)

BACK-TO-BACK SAC FLIES !!! ll O.o

Manny Machado AND Danny Valencia BOTH hit Sac-Flies that began with a runner on 2nd base and 0 outs, in the top of the 6th inning.

Adam Jones advanced to 3rd base on Machado's Sac-Fly, then scored on Valencia's Sac-Fly, increasing the Orioles' lead to 3-0.

o

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

There was a time, more than 80 years ago, when a fly ball that advanced a runner to 3rd base was considered a Sac-Fly.

But that hasnt been the rule for a very long time.

http://www.theoleballgame.com/when-was-the-sacrifice-fly-rule-changed-to-only-include-fly-balls-that-resulted-in-a-run-scoring.html

o

Thanks.

Officially it was not back-to-back Sac-Flies, but seeing an Oriole base-runner advance from 2nd Base to home plate on 2 consecutive long fly balls must have had Roy pinching himself to see if it were for real.

o

8 hours ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BRAVES, 6/22)

With runners on 2nd and 3rd Base with one out in the top of the 9th inning, Chris Davis hit a Sac-Fly to plate the go-ahead run.

o

Maybe the lamest sac fly I’ve ever seen, but hey, it counts!   What a terrible throw from the outfielder.    

On 6/21/2018 at 7:01 AM, Moose Milligan said:

Where is @DrungoHazewood haven't seen him lately

The season has made it hard to pay attention.  Also been really busy with work and life.  But I'm still around.

And sac fly ability isn't really a thing, as far as I can tell.  It's mostly how much you hit fly balls, how many times you come up with a runner on third, and randomness.  I'm sure someone will come up with an example of a player who hit sac flies at several standard deviations above or below what you'd expect, which is fine.

31 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The season has made it hard to pay attention.  Also been really busy with work and life.  But I'm still around.

And sac fly ability isn't really a thing, as far as I can tell.  It's mostly how much you hit fly balls, how many times you come up with a runner on third, and randomness.  I'm sure someone will come up with an example of a player who hit sac flies at several standard deviations above or below what you'd expect, which is fine.

Glad you're ok.  Was getting a bit worried there.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/28)

With the Orioles desperately clinging to a 9-4 lead in the bottom of the 8th inning, Joseph Anthony Mancini hit a Sac-Fly to give the Orioles a much-needed insurance run.

Later in the same inning inning, Chris Davis added 2 more runs for the Birds with a double to increase the lead even more.

o

9 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. BLUE JAYS, 8/28)

With the Orioles desperately clinging to a 9-4 lead in the bottom of the 8th inning, Joseph Anthony Mancini hit a Sac-Fly to give the Orioles a much-needed insurance run.

Later in the same inning inning, Chris Davis added 2 more runs for the Birds with a double to increase the lead even more.

o

Good for Mancini, but "much needed?"
Even with Mancini's SF, the Orioles remain in last place in that category.

Archived