Could the leader we desperately need already be here?

Greg Pappas

It's still early, but, so far, so good. Kudos to John (and Lou to some extent.)  I love the Elias hire and am genuinely excited to be an Orioles fan again (it's been awhile.)

Hopefully I'll still feel positively about ownership at this time next year. Having seen a full season unfold should provide further insight into how this franchise will operate moving forward.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

It's still early, but, so far, so good. Kudos to John (and Lou to some extent.)  I love the Elias hire and am genuinely excited to be an Orioles fan again (it's been awhile.)

Hopefully I'll still feel positively about ownership at this time next year. Having seen a full season unfold should provide further insight into how this franchise will operate moving forward.

Agreed.

17 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

So you weren't an Oriole fan when they won more games then any American League team 2012-2016?

1 minute ago, Going Underground said:

So you weren't an Oriole fan when they won more games then any American League team 2012-2016?

I'll admit 2012 was a good time.

I'll also say that 2013-2016 the winning was tempered by the knowledge that the organization wasn't interested in producing a consistent winner and was instead focused on producing a nice run before the window slammed shut.

14 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

We did it the wrong way and many prognosticators knew we would be bad again in the future. Plus, Peter Angelos.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'll also say that 2013-2016 the winning was tempered by the knowledge that the organization wasn't interested in producing a consistent winner and was instead focused on producing a nice run before the window slammed shut.

See. I was typing!

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

McLouth hit the pole. And Wieters called Yankee pitches. The traitor among us. 

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What many may not want to hear is that it is possible that the Orioles don’t have the funds to do both. Top teams are better than ever at locating and developing talent.  Moreover, it isn’t like Oriole attendance was so great during their run that it created a large infusion of cash similar to what you see in St Louis with their consistent great attendance.   

Even the Red Sox have had to sacrifice their farm system to compete   The idea that the Orioles can somehow do both is difficult to imagine

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

What many may not want to hear is that it is possible that the Orioles don’t have the funds to do both. Top teams are better than ever at locating and developing talent.  Moreover, it isn’t like Oriole attendance was so great during their run that it created a large infusion of cash similar to what you see in St Louis with their consistent great attendance.   

Even the Red Sox have had to sacrifice their farm system to compete   The idea that the Orioles can somehow do both is difficult to imagine

If you don't have the funds to cut a Matusz you don't tender him a contract in the first place.

A lack of funds didn't cause the Parra trade.

A lack of funds didn't cause the Davis or O'Day signings.

There is a difference between trading a valuable piece in the minors for a Miller and giving up a draft pick for Gallardo.

I don't see how you can look back at how the team was operating and think that they cared at all about what happened after Dan and Buck's contracts were up.

5 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Some point to Tampa and Minnesota and Oakland as examples of how to do both. Not me. I'm an Oriole fan and I don't care if other folks can be happy with their way. I just want our way to work. And to not get cheated. They've done that to us too many times. I don't care about Peter Angelos. I hope his sons keep the team in Baltimore. 

Archived