Nightingale: Dodgers in lead for Manny

Rene88

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, atomic said:

Too bad trades can't be made during All Star break.   We could secretly trade Manny to the Nationals 5 minutes before game time.   Manny could walk on to the field with the National League team and take off his Orioles cap and put on a Nationals Cap when he got to Shortstop. 

Crowd would love it. 

mj1-300x169.jpg

2 minutes ago, weams said:

Like I said there would be. Manny doesn't cost 16 million dollars anymore.  Teams know if they are in the playoff hunt and they know where the wholes in their line up are. 

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So I say the numbers pretty much agree with you and you respond by launching an irrelevant attack on the numbers?

OK.

I do that regarding fielding metrics. But I am consistent. 

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

So I say the numbers pretty much agree with you and you respond by launching an irrelevant attack on the numbers?

OK.

A charitable interpretation of what he said is that yes, the Pythag is a measure of one thing that a manager can affect-- the # of  Ws and Ls compared to how many runs a team scores and gives up.

But a manager can also affect how many runs the team scores by putting Chris Davis out there every day, or how many runs the team gives up by how he uses his pitchers and the defense he puts out.

So in other words, if Pythag is -4, if Buck isn't doing those other things well, then he actually is worse than -4 in terms of his total contribution to the team.

27 minutes ago, SteveA said:

A charitable interpretation of what he said is that yes, the Pythag is a measure of one thing that a manager can affect-- the # of  Ws and Ls compared to how many runs a team scores and gives up.

But a manager can also affect how many runs the team scores by putting Chris Davis out there every day, or how many runs the team gives up by how he uses his pitchers and the defense he puts out.

So in other words, if Pythag is -4, if Buck isn't doing those other things well, then he actually is worse than -4 in terms of his total contribution to the team.

And do you think that's an accurate interpretation?

6 hours ago, NashLumber said:

Not sure if it’s the fair thing, but if he has more votes than the NL SS,  if he doesn’t get the start for the NL, he should surely be allowed on the team. So that it would not be at the expense of someone voted or named to the NL squad, I guess he is put on the NL team (an extra roster spot is allowed) but doesn’t get the start, but does get two at bats. 

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

He couldn't be troubled to come to FanFest and now we want to go out of our way to get him on the all-star team. My oh me we have short memories. 

Don’t look at me. I don’t really care. I’m ready for him to find a new home. Someone just asked how the All-Star game scenario would play out if he’s traded before the break. 

2 hours ago, Rene88 said:

Sooner the better and yes, the Nats have been a train wreck after they played Baltimore. Talent is there. I am still bitter that Dusty wasn’t brought back. I bet they would be up 3 games with Dusty as manager but owner refuses to pay any manager market value.

That's really a shame. 

35 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Don’t look at me. I don’t really care. I’m ready for him to find a new home. Someone just asked how the All-Star game scenario would play out if he’s traded before the break. 

Don't worry. He won't be. 

43 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

7 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Don't worry. He won't be. 

Again, I’m not losing sleep over it. Someone asked a hypothetical. I put out a guess. 

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think Santana and/or Lux are good targets.  I agree I would take on Forsythe and someone else's salary to even the money if the Dodgers give a couple of good prospects.   I don't want a left fielder.   I would much rather have a skill position player or a starter.

Which Santana?  Dennis or Cristian?  I like them both, though Cristian has serious K concerns.

Archived