Duquette: "Extensive Conversations a Couple Years Ago" with Manny

TonySoprano

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said Friday that the Orioles’ attempt to sign Machado to an early multiyear extension failed for the obvious reason: They couldn’t agree on a number.

“There are advantages to that,” he said. “We tried to do that with Manny but we didn’t quite get a deal done. We had extensive conversations a couple of years ago. We closed the gap but we didn’t get a deal done.”

Duquette is quick to remind everybody that there’s a reason why the Angels were so quick to throw all that money at Trout. He was American League Rookie of the Year in 2012 and finished second in the Most Valuable Player balloting in 2013. After he signed the extension, which was added on to a record third-year salary of $1 million, he was elected American League MVP two of the next three seasons.

“To this point of his career, he’s the most productive young player in the history of the game,’’ Duquette said. “If you got to baseball-reference.com and look up his WAR [wins above replacement], you can see he’s on pace to have an incredible career. He’s an incredibly talented player.”

So the two sides are where they are, which is where they’ve been all along. Now Machado holds all the cards.

“We were looking for a number and we couldn’t reach to that,” Machado said. “We decided to wait a little bit and we’re still waiting.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-schmuck-machado-trout-20180630-story.html

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

PR move.  Making sure the fanbase knows the team did what they could.

The timing of this article makes it seem that way. Schmuck does get a little more info than Roch, Melewski, Encina, etc. sometimes. This was put out perfectly. A few weeks or a few days before Manny is traded.

43 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

PR move. Making sure the fanbase knows the team did what they could.

o

If anything, I think that it's a bad PR move because of how obvious it is.

Fans at-large may be naive, but they aren't THAT naive.

o

12 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Agree its a PR move but its a weird one.  I don't think anyone ever thought they were gonna resign him. 

I'm ready for him to be traded at this point. 

Casual fans are a whole different animal than we are.  I met an O's fan the other day and he started praising Trumbo.

1 hour ago, Lucky_13 said:

Agree its a PR move but its a weird one.  I don't think anyone ever thought they were gonna resign him. 

I'm ready for him to be traded at this point. 

It's a PR move for Duquette's future employment.  Just like when he came out and explained that it was ownership's decision to stay out of the international market and posting fees because he is "philosophically against it."  He's done a great job working within the confines of the restrictions the Orioles put on him, and he's trying to make sure that his future employers know it's not him.  Personally, I'm happy in what he's disclosed since the winter meetings on how the team works.  It just proves how dysfunctional things really are, and how I can't get my hopes up for them to change until ownership does.  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm sure that gap that was between them a couple years ago doesn't look so big all of a sudden.  

Should have paid him and kept him at 3rd.  

The Orioles were probably afraid of Manny’s knees breaking again and didn’t want to risk paying him for not playing.

Meanwhile Davis and O’Day...

8 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

It's a PR move for Duquette's future employment.  Just like when he came out and explained that it was ownership's decision to stay out of the international market and posting fees because he is "philosophically against it."  He's done a great job working within the confines of the restrictions the Orioles put on him, and he's trying to make sure that his future employers know it's not him.  Personally, I'm happy in what he's disclosed since the winter meetings on how the team works.  It just proves how dysfunctional things really are, and how I can't get my hopes up for them to change until ownership does.  

How so? He negotiated and closed the gap? Bottom line is he didn't get a deal done with a generational talent. However he did get a deal done with Davis albeit with help from Angelos. 

What this looks like is a newspaper article to try to appease the casual fans as a precursor to a deal that is getting close. I don't think the casual fans have any illusions about where this team is and the 0% chance that Manny will extend or resign here.

11 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

“There are advantages to that,” he said. “We tried to do that with Manny but we didn’t quite get a deal done. We had extensive conversations a couple of years ago. We closed the gap but we didn’t get a deal done.”

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-schmuck-machado-trout-20180630-story.html

Sure, Dan.   I had extensive conversations with Penelope Cruz a couple of years ago about running away with me.  We closed the gap but we didn’t get a deal done.

Archived