Orioles hire new COO for Business Opps

Deadwood Fan

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

And the people hiring him will be around for awhile also. 

There is no talk the team is for sale. I think this is a John and Lou hire. Trying to get the MASN situation resolved. At some point Peter will have to turn over the reigns officially. 

I think things are setting up for John and Lou to officially take over. 

As you said earlier, certainly a lot of smoke the last several weeks.  But generally I agree a sale is not part of the smoke. 

Another poster mentioned that MLB will have to approve the transfer of the team to the sons, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

Here's a good article that goes in some depth about the situation in Detroit after their owner died last year.  If P. Angelos goes the route of the Detroit owner he could create a trust and the trust would assume his stake in the Orioles (and MASN).  Seems like the problem COULD be that they can't value the assets b/c of the MASN dispute

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20170218/NEWS/170219847/who-owns-the-tigers-family-plan-is-a-matter-of-trust

IMO, the most likely cause of all the "smoke" is that Angelos's health is fading faster than has been made public.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think things are setting up for John and Lou to officially take over. 

I've got a Fight Club scene in mind...where Lou Angelos descends onto the OH and goes "I'm Lou...who the F are you?"

And then @Tony-OH like, "Aw, Lou...come on man!  We really like this place!" while laughing and taking a tremendous beating.  And then all of the OH minions are getting ready to pounce on Lou.  And then Tony's all like "YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I'VE BEEN LOU!! YOU DON'T KNOW WHERE I'VE BEEN!!!" 

And then Lou's all like "F'ING USE THE MESSAGE BOARD LET ME OUT OF HERE!"

1 hour ago, eddie83 said:

I hope we get Colby Rasmus chia pet garden gnome night this year myself. 

Comes with a miniature TV set where Game of Thrones is on instead of the O’s games (per the report he didn’t even follow his own team when he was on the DL). 

The Orioles already have one of the best Season Ticket deals in the country, allowing fans to trade for tickets for any game on a dollar for dollar basis. Lowering merchandise prices this year was also a fan friendly decision, as is the free tickets for kids 9 and under. I think Woody the DJ does a great job and I like that they mix it up with patriotic songs instead of jamming God Bless America down our throats. The in-stadium experience is pretty good, the team is just lousy.

My worry is they will add too much loud stuff interactive stuff between innings that you can't ignore like trivia and tee-shirt cannons and whatnot. I am pleased with the stadium experience and greatly prefer it to what the Nationals do with all the fake enthusiasm and yelling by the PA announcer (DANNNYYYY ESSSSSSPINNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!).

2 hours ago, LC_O's_87 said:

As you said earlier, certainly a lot of smoke the last several weeks.  But generally I agree a sale is not part of the smoke. 

Another poster mentioned that MLB will have to approve the transfer of the team to the sons, but I don't think that's necessarily the case.

Here's a good article that goes in some depth about the situation in Detroit after their owner died last year.  If P. Angelos goes the route of the Detroit owner he could create a trust and the trust would assume his stake in the Orioles (and MASN).  Seems like the problem COULD be that they can't value the assets b/c of the MASN dispute

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article/20170218/NEWS/170219847/who-owns-the-tigers-family-plan-is-a-matter-of-trust

IMO, the most likely cause of all the "smoke" is that Angelos's health is fading faster than has been made public.

It's kinda like trying to discern if the gray smoke coming from the Vatican chimney is white or black. Is this latest news the sign that dad and sons have reached an understanding? A chess move as part of some game of thrones? Or did Brady get his man?

7 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

It's kinda like trying to discern if the gray smoke coming from the Vatican chimney is white or black. Is this latest news the sign that dad and sons have reached an understanding? A chess move as part of some game of thrones? Or did Brady get his man?

During the Cold War the CIA had a team of Kremlinologists who did nothing but try  to figure out the Soviet power structure based on subtle clues such as who was seated closest to Brezhnev at a military parade or the order of the signatures on a document.

15 hours ago, eddie83 said:

Ok. So what does this mean for the baseball side?  Interesting news.  

Pay toilets at the stadium. This free toilet thing has gone far enough. We need to recoup money.

10 minutes ago, Natty said:

Pay toilets at the stadium. This free toilet thing has gone far enough. We need to recoup money.

If you go to a fast food place here in Europe, they charge you for the condiments. They’ll give you one tiny one with your order for free, but for extra packets of BBQ sauce, hot sauce, etc it’s about 19 cents each. Maybe the days of unlimited Camden Yards mustard and ketchup near the napkins are gone. 

14 hours ago, MurphDogg said:

The Orioles already have one of the best Season Ticket deals in the country, allowing fans to trade for tickets for any game on a dollar for dollar basis. Lowering merchandise prices this year was also a fan friendly decision, as is the free tickets for kids 9 and under. I think Woody the DJ does a great job and I like that they mix it up with patriotic songs instead of jamming God Bless America down our throats. The in-stadium experience is pretty good, the team is just lousy.

My worry is they will add too much loud stuff interactive stuff between innings that you can't ignore like trivia and tee-shirt cannons and whatnot. I am pleased with the stadium experience and greatly prefer it to what the Nationals do with all the fake enthusiasm and yelling by the PA announcer (DANNNYYYY ESSSSSSPINNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOSSSSSSAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!).

I agree with this 100 percent!  Man, I went once to a Florida Marlins game..it had so much going on electronically I thought I had walked into the world’s largest Chuck E. Cheese restaurant.  I thought I was going to have a seizure. 

17 hours ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I think the point is that a change in the ownership structure gives the Commissioner the opportunity to not approve that change.  In the case of the Tigers the Commissioners did not intercede.   But because the Angelos family has been a thorn in the Commissioner side he could not allow an O's trust to take over.   He could form a committee of owners to back him in requiring a sale of the team.   Therefore its important to the Angelos sons to solve the long standing dispute with he Commissioner office.

Archived