Buck Voted "Manager You Would Not Want to Play for"

TonySoprano

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

He's wanted overwhelming control of the baseball side of operations at every stop. It's the same here. With the same thing coming out at the end of his tenure with the Diamondbacks and the Rangers, and the reporting by Tony, Ken Rosenthal, and others, it's kind of hard to deny. 

He either wants to be the GM/President or wants someone who is his puppet to him to be the GM/President.

So basically he and Bill Parcells share some similarities.  Except Parcells has two championships.

Wasn't that long ago people wanted to play for Buck.  I guess when you're a "control enthusiast" winning makes that much more difference.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I just wouldn’t expect him to be there for the next decade, or anything like that.  Likely, in three or four years, his act will have run thin, he’ll have alienated too many people, and someone else will be brought in to try to take what Showalter has built to the next level.

Well, Texas broke the streak.  Both NY and AZ win the Series in year one AB (after Buck)

I hated playing for my college coach but he drastically improved the program as well as my own game, knowledge and character.  I wouldn't change a thing now.  I am often critical of Buck, but he is quite good.  Notice the top managers are on this list.  I'm sure Leyland would be on it if he were still coaching, too.  Someone once said "Jim Leyland eats rusty nails and pisses vinegar."  Being coached hard isn't fun, but getting good sure is!  How many of these players really know what is best for them?  

A very simplified example:  When Buck made AJ run balls out, he lead the league in infield hits and became TWICE the player he previously was.

8 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

So basically he and Bill Parcells share some similarities.  Except Parcells has two championships.

Wasn't that long ago people wanted to play for Buck.  I guess when you're a "control enthusiast" winning makes that much more difference.

I've always loved the comparison of Buck to Parcells.  Both are the master franchise rebuilders of their respective professional sports.  Parcells is HOF material b/c of the championships.  I'd honestly give Buck the nod if he won just one championship.

Surprised we were even on the list of mentions for “worst fans”. 

19. Which city has the worst fans?

Top result: Tie — Tampa (19.7% of the vote), Miami (19.7%)

Runners-up: New York (both): (13.1%)

Also receiving multiple votes: Boston, Baltimore, Angels, Dodgers, Toronto

And where the hell is Philly on that list?

10 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

Buck's problems are Angelos and Brady. 

2 hours ago, LocoChris said:

I'm surprised that we were even on the list of mentions for worst fans.

And where the hell is Philly on that list ???

1 hour ago, Catch 8 said:

Hi, Santa !!!

o

He died, in 2015.

Frank Olivo, Philly’s Most Hated Santa Claus, Dead at 66

(By Nicole Hensley)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/frank-olivo-philly-hated-santa-claus-dead-66-article-1.2208859

Image result for Frank Olivo oooooooo Image result for Frank Olivo

o

3 hours ago, LocoChris said:

Surprised we were even on the list of mentions for “worst fans”. 

And where the hell is Philly on that list?

Why are TB and Miami on that list?  Because their teams are in last place?  They are just naming the last place teams in their answers. Same thing with manager. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why are TB and Miami on that list?  Because their teams are in last place?  They are just naming the last place teams in their answers. Same thing with manager. 

Check out the Rays' attendance numbers when they are good.  Their team is doing a heck of a job this season and the bandwagon fans down here are still acting like they understand hocky.

You hit a big box stores down here and their is more Lightning gear than Rays gear.

19 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

Before the Orioles, Buck had a strong reputation for being a serious pain-in-the-butt for players. He was very controlling and frustrated a lot of players. 

Thats not what I read, when I read Jeter's autobiography. The players liked and respected Buck, and thought he got the shaft, when King George fired him for not firing and replacing his entire coaching staff.

44 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Check out the Rays' attendance numbers when they are good.  Their team is doing a heck of a job this season and the bandwagon fans down here are still acting like they understand hocky.

You hit a big box stores down here and their is more Lightning gear than Rays gear.

I think the Rays understand the fan base, pretty well, did I hear right last week, that their new stadium plans, calls for 33K seats?

Archived