What will we watch for the rest of this season?

Frobby

A terrible team just got much worse, for now.    Our most exciting player by far is gone.   A couple of other long time O’s will probably be gone before the end of July.   

So what are we watching for at this point?    What will you want to see when you turn on the games (assuming you do)?

For me, it’s previous little at the moment.    I’m still a big Dylan Bundy fan, and I’ll still keep an eye on how he’s doing and tune in when I see he’s got a good game going.   Even so, I can see plenty of logic in trading him away this winter for guys who haven’t reached the majors yet, or who are just getting there.    

If they bring up Mullins and Stewart at some point, I’ll be interested in how they do at the major league level.    

That’s about it for me.   You?

Gausman and Bundy are tops for me along with Mullins who I hope is called up now.  

I also think once the trades are made the club will play a better brand of baseball even with less talent. I think we will see more energy. This trade stuff has been hanging over their heads all year.  

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Gausman and Bundy are tops for me along with Mullins who I hope is called up now.  

I also think once the trades are made the club will play a better brand of baseball even with less talent. I think we will see more energy. This trade stuff has been hanging over their heads all year.  

I agree with this. Not that we will win more games but I think there will be a renewed energy because the remaining players know the rest of the season is a trial. Those that play well have a chance to be here and the ones that don't will be expendable. Kind of like the year that Buck was hired.

17 minutes ago, Mountain Bird said:

I agree with this. Not that we will win more games but I think there will be a renewed energy because the remaining players know the rest of the season is a trial. Those that play well have a chance to be here and the ones that don't will be expendable. Kind of like the year that Buck was hired.

It may even take some pressure off now that we are officially, as an organization, in "win tomorrow mode" instead of "win today mode". Not that there was a lot of pressure after the middle of May, but this team was expected to be at least near .500. Now it's like we've accepted where we're at and can let the veterans go contribute elsewhere. Guys can just play without trying to dig out of a hole or worry about the missed team expectations. 

26 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I would let Mullins finish the year in Norfolk, unless Jones is traded sometime this month. I dont see the rush to promote prospects at all unless the major league team starts losing players. I'll be following minor league box scores alot more closely with the new prospects coming in. Hopefully the O's get another good return for Britton. 

4 minutes ago, Ripken said:

If Dan is able to move out 3-5 more vets the next 6 weeks, I'll be watching all the new players.

I agree, I'll be checking out the new players when they come up. And the playoff race is starting to really heat up, I'll probably be checking in on some good matchups of other teams.

I need to see this team playing competent baseball again. The end of the 2011 season when Buck took over left us feeling very positive for things to come even in the midst of a terrible season. 

I'm not sure we have what it takes to do that right now, but guys need to start playing for 2019 starting tomorrow.

Probably won't watch much until September unless Buck is fired before then which seems incredibly unlikely. I just think being so stringently stuck in your outdated ways even though you’re staring down 110+ losses is just insane. I have no interest watching Chris Davis, Mark Trumbo and Joey Rickard. I have no interest in watching  Adam Jones and Trey Mancini play in positions they are obscenely unequipped for. The pitching is bad but surprisingly more watchable than I expected and can only get better if a true dedication to improving the defense was put in place. I just can’t see that happening under Buck this year.

Archived