John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

33 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

I mean, I get that, it just seems weird to me...someone writes their name in cursive is something to feel good about, just seems odd...

I'm happy to admit (and have admitted in this thread) that I'm the odd one here...

My point is...its not about the autograph for many. It's about the experience. Some people do it for monetary gain. A baseball jersey with an autograph is usually worth more than one without (depending on the player). 

I for one can't wait to get Kane Hodder to autograph a hockey mask for me. It will hang framed on my wall lol.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I stopped seeking autographs about the same time I was tall enough to ride the scary amusement park rides. I was also a kid (just) before the age of camera phones and selfies. I might have preferred photos to signatures. Regardless...

Hanging out waiting for autographs was always fun for me. Got Bobby Bonilla and Eddie Murray on one ball when they were sharing a ride after a night game. Raffy was always amenable. Palmer stopped occasionally. B.J. Surhoff made a lot of time. So did Cal, though that always came with bruises from the crowd. 

My favorite signature came from Cleveland, though. I was standing around the hotel that housed a lot of All-Stars that year. A grizzled, veteran autograph seeker next to me said (to no one in particular) "well, there's Feller." I asked if he meant Bob, which he did, but he also added that Rapid Robert rarely signed autographs in those situations, and only with his favored blue pens. Undeterred, I called out, "Mr. Feller, do you have time for an autograph?" He scrutinized me, my A.L. baseball, and my black ballpoint pen. And then he signed, right on the sweet spot. For a while, it was one of my most prized possessions, but now the memory takes priority.

That's why showing up to autograph sessions should be important to ballplayers, IMO. For the kids who'll eventually be adults, and for when things like WAR overtake ice cream and hotdogs when it comes to baseball. Just my two cents. 

1 hour ago, MurphDogg said:

I am not a big autograph person, it is just cool to share a few seconds of face time with the players. I was surprised at how many players were wearing the giveaway shirt from Thursday (with the throwback Orioles logo). Most everyone was really friendly, Mancini was a trooper signing all of the bobbleheads that were the giveaway yesterday. I shared a laugh with Paul Fry when a pre-teen girl handed him a new official MLB ball and asked him to sign it. He asked whether she had any preference where he signed it and after she left, I joked that she probably wasn't going to leap across the table if he had signed it on the sweet spot.

There are a handful of people that bring a whole bunch of merchandise in that they will presumably sell, but it is mostly just families and fans that attend a lot of games to see a losing team. I would have loved the opportunity to attend such an event when I was a kid, it is a really cool event. 

I asked Mancini if he got any bobbleheads to practice signing beforehand, and he laughed and said he was doing them on the fly, but preferred to sign the bottom versus the helmet.  Then the person behind my friend's father gave him a game ball to sign that Mancini threw at him, asked if he wanted the sweet spot signed and then my friend's father said Cal didn't even know why they called it the sweet spot and his whole table laughed.  It's all about the experience, and it's so much different than Fan Fest.  

If Adam didn't come because he didn't want to hear people asking him about the trade, I think there are ways around it to make it work, from announcing a statement not to ask him about it, or to have ushers bring him items to sign and have him at a different table, or sign a bunch of items for at least the first 150 guaranteed spots.  

19 minutes ago, MrOrange82 said:

I stopped seeking autographs about the same time I was tall enough to ride the scary amusement park rides. I was also a kid (just) before the age of camera phones and selfies. I might have preferred photos to signatures. Regardless...

Hanging out waiting for autographs was always fun for me. Got Bobby Bonilla and Eddie Murray on one ball when they were sharing a ride after a night game. Raffy was always amenable. Palmer stopped occasionally. B.J. Surhoff made a lot of time. So did Cal, though that always came with bruises from the crowd. 

My favorite signature came from Cleveland, though. I was standing around the hotel that housed a lot of All-Stars that year. A grizzled, veteran autograph seeker next to me said (to no one in particular) "well, there's Feller." I asked if he meant Bob, which he did, but he also added that Rapid Robert rarely signed autographs in those situations, and only with his favored blue pens. Undeterred, I called out, "Mr. Feller, do you have time for an autograph?" He scrutinized me, my A.L. baseball, and my black ballpoint pen. And then he signed, right on the sweet spot. For a while, it was one of my most prized possessions, but now the memory takes priority.

That's why showing up to autograph sessions should be important to ballplayers, IMO. For the kids who'll eventually be adults, and for when things like WAR overtake ice cream and hotdogs when it comes to baseball. Just my two cents. 

That's a great story.  

One of the reasons one of my favorite non-Orioles is Todd Frazier is that he is always the first guy out of the opposing dugout, usually by 6:35. He does some stretches, and then goes to sign stuff, or take selfies with fans (honestly, that's quickly becoming the new autograph if you will, and no one can take that away from you once it's taken.). He will play catch with a group of kids, mess with the mascot, etc.  He's sending not only his fans home happy, but our fans as well.  He's truly an ambassador for the game.

It’s Adam’s right that he earned to choose his destiny here. Nothing to be upset about. He’s not bringing anything of value back anyway. He’s owed 7 million more this season and he’s a replacement level player. I wouldn’t be surprised if Philly wanted him as a 4th outfielder/platoon player.

2 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

Sometimes it's more about nostalgia. I could care less about getting a current baseball players autograph. But I will be waiting in line to get Kane Bidder and Robert Englunds autograph because it brings back memories of being a kid watching those guys playing iconic slashers.

#respect HUGE horror fan. Never met Englund but have a Doug Bradley autograph he made from turning George Washington on a dollar bill into pinhead. Both were classically trained stage actors.  I also have Kane Hodder signed Jason Takes Manhattan lol. Halloween is the best overall slasher series forcme though, Donald Pleasance was the best.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Has anything changed to make us think he would accept a trade now? Last I read he said he wasn't leaving until after he throws his tailgate party.

No, as I guess playing in October for a title isn't as appealing to him as playing for a 36-85 team.

1 minute ago, weams said:

Is anyone hurt. On one of the teams not named Phillies? 

I read something that somebody wrote, that claimed AJ wanted to stay in the AL, where he could DH and play the OF. I dont buy that, but you know how the sports information media world is.

Archived