John Angelos and Adam Jones dined, discussed Orioles and the community of Baltimore's future

Greg Pappas

30 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I love YAZ, I really do. feel in love with his play at Bowie.

But, everything I have heard, some are not even sure, his game will play at the major league level.

Maybe, maybe not.  But they won't truly know until they give him the chance.  He has nothing left to prove in the minors.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Yaz is a 6 year minor leaguer who can be a minor league free agent and also exposed to the Rule 5 draft. But not too many 28 year olds get taken in the Rule 5 draft. 

I assume he’s been available in the Rule 5 draft since 2016, so he’s been passed over twice already.   Of course, it wouldn’t be shocking if he left the organization.   

5 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think I said this awhile back (in another thread), but I actually work in marketing. If it was me, I would embrace the rebuild. And focus the whole 2019 PR campaign around "the kids". Maybe tie it in with that song by the Who "The Kids are Alright" an run a a bunch of commercial spots profiling a different young player at each position. It would be better to address the problem (i.e., young players, inexperienced team, heavy learning curve, lots of losses, etc.) head on then by trying to cover it up by resigning someone like Jones. If he played an infield position it might be a different story, but we have plenty of OF depth. It's time to find out who sticks and who doesn't. 

All that said, I'm a big Jones supporter. I greatly appreciate everything he's done for the franchise, but I think it's in our best interest (and his as well) to move on. 

Marketing?  You mean you haven’t seen the Bobby Dickerson infield coaching vignettes?  Next ST we will be getting training montages of Brady working with guys carrying logs and running in the snow ala Rocky IV. 

Bringing back Jones does not go with the whole dumping O’day with Gausman thinking. My heart says bring him back, it’s not my money. My head says then why did we do that with Gausman?

It’s going to be really boring to be an O’s fan between now and next June 1st. After June 1st we will probably see Hays, Diaz, Mountcastle, Kremer, Ortiz, and Akin up. Or really close to being up. Right now, we’re in the boring part of the rebuild where you have to just fill time with retreads until the prospects are ready and it’s after June 1. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s going to be really boring to be an O’s fan between now and next June 1st. After June 1st we will probably see Hays, Diaz, Mountcastle, Kremer, Ortiz, and Akin up. Or really close to being up. Right now, we’re in the boring part of the rebuild where you have to just fill time with retreads until the prospects are ready and it’s after June 1. 

Spring training will be mildly interesting since a lot of the top minor leaguers will get some playing time and we’ll get a glimpse of who may be about ready to make the leap.   But I agree that we won’t see many immediate promotions.    I guess the build-up to the draft will be interesting, though I’ve never been someone to watch video and try to guess who outranks who as a prospect.   But I’m sure there will be a lot of debate about that.   

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Marketing?  You mean you haven’t seen the Bobby Dickerson infield coaching vignettes?  Next ST we will be getting training montages of Brady working with guys carrying logs and running in the snow ala Rocky IV. 

Bringing back Jones does not go with the whole dumping O’day with Gausman thinking. My heart says bring him back, it’s not my money. My head says then why did we do that with Gausman?

Since we do not know who the O's GM or Manager will be next year, we also don't know what management will do if a player has a good ST.  

I love Adam Jones.  One of my all time favorite Orioles.  You don’t bring him back.  You allocate those dollars to acquire more international players.  Trade for international slots, load up on young players and see who comes through the funnel.  This is purely a decision on what is the best use of say $10 million. 

It would be better to keep it in the bank for the future than to spend it on Adam.

13 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If they resign Jones it will only be for PR/marketing. So they have someone to continue to serve as the face of the franchise until someone else emerges. From a pure baseball perspective resigning him makes absolutely no sense. 

They gotta sell some tickets. They need to appeal to the casual fan somehow. A Renato Nunez bobblehead can only do so much.

11 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think I said this awhile back (in another thread), but I actually work in marketing. If it was me, I would embrace the rebuild. And focus the whole 2019 PR campaign around "the kids". Maybe tie it in with that song by the Who "The Kids are Alright" an run a a bunch of commercial spots profiling a different young player at each position. It would be better to address the problem (i.e., young players, inexperienced team, heavy learning curve, lots of losses, etc.) head on then by trying to cover it up by resigning someone like Jones. If he played an infield position it might be a different story, but we have plenty of OF depth. It's time to find out who sticks and who doesn't. 

All that said, I'm a big Jones supporter. I greatly appreciate everything he's done for the franchise, but I think it's in our best interest (and his as well) to move on. 

People aren't stupid. Unless the team is winning or the young players are putting up rookie of the year type numbers no one is going to buy a triple a quality team being a draw because they are young. Also I am don't think the Who appeals to people under 50.

9 hours ago, atomic said:

People aren't stupid. Unless the team is winning or the young players are putting up rookie of the year type numbers no one is going to buy a triple a quality team being a draw because they are young. Also I am don't think the Who appeals to people under 50.

So people aren't stupid, but they're going to believe that resigning Adam Jones is going to make the Orioles a better team? The Orioles are going to lose 70+ games next season with or without Jones. All I'm saying is don't insult the fans' intelligence by pretending that a few minor tweaks / signings will make this team better. Because it won't. They only thing that will keep me interested next season is if I get to watch the younger players get regular at bats and develop. 

As for the Who, I'm under 50 and I know that song.I think it's probably been featured in quite a few movies and commercials in the 00s.  But if you have a problem with it how about MGMT's "Kids". Does that appeal to your millennial sensibility? The sentiment's the same. Call a spade a spade. Be up front about this being a "process" and embrace the youth of the team. Like it or not the "kids" are going to determine the success of this team over the next few years. 

10 hours ago, theocean said:

They gotta sell some tickets. They need to appeal to the casual fan somehow. A Renato Nunez bobblehead can only do so much.

Does the casual fan really care about the standings? I mean, I know "winning" helps pack the stadium to an extent, but I feel like a good portion of casual fans go to the games for the experience. pregame at Pickles, Eat at Boog's, walk the concourse, etc. I think they might lose some of the knuckleheads who call in to sports radio stations, but honestly is that such a bad thing? 

19 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Frank was actually somewhere else and came here and then left here. [Much like Adam might]

Cal considered the free agent market at one point, when the team was clearly dragging its feet in negotiating and low balling him, and he wasn't even asking for the moon either.

Eddie was run out of town by the Front Office, and it was a huge mistake.

The Orioles said that they would have retained Frank had they known the DH was about to be instituted. 

Cal Ripken was the highest paid player in baseball, signing the largest contract ever in 1992.

Eddie was run our of town by racist sportswriters more than by the front office. Some of those writers are still active in Baltimore.

Just now, Beef Supreme said:

The Orioles said that they would have retained Frank had they known the DH was about to be instituted. 

Cal Ripken was the highest paid player in baseball, signing the largest contract ever in 1992.

Eddie was run our of town by racist sportswriters more than by the front office. Some of those writers are still active in Baltimore.

MMM, this site lists Bobby Bonnilla as the richest contract in 1992.

https://sabr.org/research/mlbs-annual-salary-leaders-1874-2012

Yet, the post disagrees

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/sports/1992/08/25/ripken-signs-the-largest-baseball-contract-ever/9a22ad66-0c74-47b1-9e9b-0beb96b61b79/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.523f0c97347a

The months of off-and-on, stop-and-start negotiations ended with Ripken accepting an offer slightly higher and with a considerably different look to it than what had been proposed by the team in spring training. Lucchino said today that he began contract talks with Ripken's Baltimore-based agent, Ron Shapiro, on Sept. 26, 1991.

I believe you about Frank and the DH and thanks for the memory clarification about Eddie.

20 hours ago, jamalshw said:

I think it's safe to assume Hays and Diaz start next year in the minors with a chance (health and production pending) to join the team mid-year. If that's the case, you need someone to man the corner. As noted above, that could easily be Mancini and Rickard. Or Stewart. Or a slew of other options (Rule-5, scrap-heap signees, etc.). If, however, Jones is cheap, on a one-year deal, and we're willing to vastly reduce his playing time in the second half, then it makes sense. The problem is: there's no way he's on board with that last part. He wasn't willing to do it for a competing team this year. I don't see him willing to for a rebuilding one next year.

I'm actually not opposed to bringing Jones back, but it's got to be under the right circumstances. I don't think you can bring him back with Buck as manager. I don't trust Buck to sit him enough in the second half when Hays and Diaz prove themselves ready.

This is almost exactly how I feel.  I'd rather see Jones out there than Rickard, but if the kids are knocking on the door in July then he needs to be willing to reduce his time.  I would love it as a Jones fan, but I don't see it happening.

Archived