Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, clapdiddy said:

Archer is under team control until 2021.

Thought he was an FA after this season. Rays still probably asking for less though because they're well-run and know how to operate with low payroll. We'll see soon enough.

4 minutes ago, vab said:

That would only matter if the asking price for both was similar. The Orioles I'm sure are asking for more because Gausman still has two years before free agency. Now maybe whoever misses out on Archer will meet the price for Gausman out of desperation. That's the only question now.

Archer has one more year then Gausman left on his contract and is cheaper money wise.

2 minutes ago, vab said:

Thought he was an FA after this season. Rays still probably asking for less though because they're well-run and know how to operate with low payroll. We'll see soon enough.

His contract has him making 7.6M next year with team options in 2020 and 2021 for 9M and 11M. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Archer is also in the AL East.   I think it’s reasonably close between them but Archer is slightly better and his contractual situation is better (he’s locked up for 3 more years but the latter two are options so there’s maximum flexibility).   

Yep but given the asking price me thinks KG better bargain.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, I am suggesting that the offers will only go down as the time the player is under control diminishes. 

I don't think two months will make a big difference when he will still have two years left in the off season.  And there could be more teams looking for starting pitching then.  More teams think they can contend in November and December.

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

No, I am suggesting that the offers will only go down as the time the player is under control diminishes. 

This, of course, is dependent upon both Gausman's performance and market demand.  I think it is entirely possible, likely even, that more teams will be interested in traded for a SP like Gausman in the off-season than right now.  To say that the quality of offers can only possibly go down is quite a stretch.

Just now, Number5 said:

This, of course, is dependent upon both Gausman's performance and market demand.  I think it is entirely possible, likely even, that more teams will be interested in traded for a SP like Gausman in the off-season than right now.  To say that the quality of offers can only possibly go down is quite a stretch.

I think it depends entirely on how he pitches. There will be more teams involved in the offseason, but urgency will be lessened, however, as more options will be available, too. If he pitches the same as he has, I think the offseason value could be similar or a bit lower. If he pitches better, however, that will certainly help the value.

Archived