Tuesday's (7/31/18) Trade Deadline

Greg Pappas

Tuesday's 4 p.m. (ET) non-waiver Trade Deadline is approaching fast.  The August 31st waiver deadline begins thereafter, but for purposes of this thread, I'd like to focus on Tuesday's deadline.

Jones, Brach, Schoop, Gausman, and every other O's player not named Machado or Britton are still with the team.  Are you confident that DD will get things done to your satisfaction by this upcoming deadline?

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

Tuesday's 4 p.m. (ET) non-waiver Trade Deadline is approaching fast.  The August 31st waiver deadline begins thereafter, but for purposes of this thread, I'd like to focus on Tuesday's deadline.

Jones, Brach, Schoop, Gausman, and every other O's player not named Machado or Britton are still with the team.  Are you confident that DD will get things done to your satisfaction by this upcoming deadline?

With John seemingly in charge and  him letting DD do his job then I think things could happen. But if not I am not going to blame DD. It takes two to dance. If a team wants Kevin G. but what they offer is lacking I won't blame DD and or John for not doing the deal. 

I wonder, at this juncture, whether DD can get a deal or two done by Tuesday AND have it be something notable.  When I say notable, I mean Schoop or Gausman, as it appears they are our two best remaining trade chips.  I won't be surprised to see Brach dealt, but the return will be middling.  I'm hoping to see something done where the return moves the chains, so to speak.

Just now, Tx Oriole said:

With John seemingly in charge and  him letting DD do his job then I think things could happen. But if not I am not going to blame DD. It takes two to dance. If a team wants Kevin G. but what they offer is lacking I won't blame DD and or John for not doing the deal. 

Yeah, it does take two.

2 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Will fans be satisfied if no one else is traded?

I'll be very disappointed.  Players like Jones and Brach could still be moved by August 31st, but the returns would be less than they would be now.  We get nothing for them after the season, as they're FA's.

2 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I'll be very disappointed.  Players like Jones and Brach could still be moved by August 31st, but the returns would be less than they would be now.  We get nothing for them after the season, as they're FA's.

Can’t move Jones if he won’t allow it.

I can respect Jones not wanting to move his family. He has been the heart and soul of the O's during his time here. I love remembering 2012 when he walked all over NY posting Orioles stickers everywhere, "Put a bird on it". I think he would like to stay and I could appreciate bringing him back on a 3 year deal to play RF and mentor our young players.

3 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I can respect Jones not wanting to move his family. He has been the heart and soul of the O's during his time here. I love remembering 2012 when he walked all over NY posting Orioles stickers everywhere, "Put a bird on it". I think he would like to stay and I could appreciate bringing him back on a 3 year deal to play RF and mentor our young players.

I've seen this sentiment before... resign Jones and have him mentor the younger players.  I'm not in favor of it, for one main reason: A rebuild means giving younger players a shot to play... Mullins in CF, Diaz in RF, perhaps DJ Stewart (or even Ryan Mountcastle if we determine he can't play 3B) in LF. If they brought Adam back on a 1-year deal, I wouldn't be upset, but still disappointed.  A multi-year deal makes zero sense, and I'd be very surprised to see the O's offer that.

Archived