Chris Davis Trade Possible in 2019-20?

Bradysburns

Looking ahead at the various factors that will impact our rebuild...

CD's OPS is back over .700 for July, and has improved every month since May. 

If he reverts to form (say roughly OPS of .800 and 35 homers)... do you think we could trade him in the next couple years? Maybe the Orioles eat the deferred part of his contract ($47 million between 2023-2037), and move him for his annual base of $17 million? 

He becomes a free agent after 2022.

His up-and-down career numbers would suggest a possible re-emergence at some point. 

Either way, I am very curious to see how the CD saga plays out. I hope for his sake and ours that he rebounds. And I still think it could happen. 

Do you think he's a hopeless case? Could he rebound? Why or why not? And could he become a trade-able asset again? 

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could only happen if he returned to form, we paid the vast majority of the contract, AND the HR trend around the league came back down to earth.

Right now, even if he was a productive hitter, it's just too easy to find the given year's Yonder Alonso or CJ Cron who will give you 25 or 30 HRs on the cheap. 

2 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

Chris Davis is staying an Oriole unless the Orioles can find a team that is trying to unload another bad contract or contracts in return.  

You can't even pair him with a prospect and expect to move him. 

I'm rooting for one of two things.

1- He bounces back to replacement level production the next couple of years.

2-A season or two more like this one forces the team to DFA him or him to retire.

Chris has a decent OPS in July, but it’s only because he’s managed to hit a few homers this month.   His BA is still .177 for the month, and while I realize BA isn’t everything, I just don’t see any team wanting a guy who is well under the Mendoza line on a monthly basis.   

Fantasy land is fun. Nobody is taking Davis with or without us paying the majority of the contract. He is literally one of the worst regulars in the history of baseball. I get the hope but not gonna....not gonna happen.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm rooting for one of two things.

1- He bounces back to replacement level production the next couple of years.

2-A season or two more like this one forces the team to DFA him or him to retire.

I don't have much hope for either.  Specifically two, I'm not confident the Orioles are to the point in their approach where they are ready to accept Chris is sunk cost. To play devil's advocate Matt Kemp seemed done he's producing now.  

8 minutes ago, awannabegeek said:

To play devil's advocate Matt Kemp seemed done he's producing now.  

Kemp had some terrible WAR totals due to his defense, but his offense never got awful.  The lowest OPS he ever put up was .723.  The only analog to Davis that I know of is Adam Dunn, who posted a .569 at age 31 but bounced back to .773 over the next three years.     Honestly, I’d be astounded if Davis did that, but then again, I was very surprised when Dunn did.   

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Kemp had some terrible WAR totals due to his defense, but his offense never got awful.  The lowest OPS he ever put up was .723.  The only analog to Davis that I know of is Adam Dunn, who posted a .569 at age 31 but bounced back to .773 over the next three years.     Honestly, I’d be astounded if Davis did that, but then again, I was very surprised when Dunn did.   

True but I include defense in producing, which has improved due to slimming down. At least that's what I've read. 

Nonetheless, Dunn is a much better comp.   

They should just cut him while they're rebuilding and, presumably, carrying a much lower payroll over the next few years. No need for this guy to take up a roster spot that could be filled by a younger player with some upside.

Archived