Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

25 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

I know were your politics are and don’t like them so don’t bring that bs here. She is qualified, there have been numerous articles written on this topic. 

She is more than qualified. 

Hiring the best isn't political.  If anyone is pushing politics it's you.  There are several qualified candidates, but I'm sure you're well versed on all of them.    Here's a list http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-gm-candidates-20181004-story.html

giphy.gif

20 minutes ago, Rene88 said:

She is qualified, there have been numerous articles written on this topic. 

She is more than qualified. 

I am glad you are educated enough to provide that professional opinion.

And Joe Torre is enamored with her, so thats supposed to make us feel warm and fuzzy all over?

Overall, I still think the O's did reasonably well at the trade deadline. The Manny deal is pretty strong particularly with how well Dean Kremer looked down the stretch. The Schoop deal looks really good, particularly if Villar can yield something next trade deadline. Carmona has upside and Ortiz has a good floor. I even like the Britton deal. I think Carroll and Rogers can at least be usable pieces in the pen (Rogers possibly starting next year until the better prospects are ready). Tate isn't a great headliner and may not stick in the rotation, but he could be solid pen arm. That's not bad for a rental relief arm with health concerns. I think the returns for Schoop, Manny and Britton help make the total package back at the deadline look reasonable. It's just too bad the Gausman deal drops things so much.

In order for the Gausman deal to not be a disaster, they needed VVM. They didn't get him. Encarnacion is intriguing, but he's a second or third piece at best. Zimmerman and Cumberland are fine throw ins. The money saved is good. Really, this trade is missing the headliner. They needed to get someone like Anderson, Toussaint, Allard or even Wilson to make this a good deal. VVM would've counted as the headliner, but without that. this trade falls WAY short.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

Overall, I still think the O's did reasonably well at the trade deadline. The Manny deal is pretty strong particularly with how well Dean Kremer looked down the stretch. The Schoop deal looks really good, particularly if Villar can yield something next trade deadline. Carmona has upside and Ortiz has a good floor. I even like the Britton deal. I think Carroll and Rogers can at least be usable pieces in the pen (Rogers possibly starting next year until the better prospects are ready). Tate isn't a great headliner and may not stick in the rotation, but he could be solid pen arm. That's not bad for a rental relief arm with health concerns. I think the returns for Schoop, Manny and Britton help make the total package back at the deadline look reasonable. It's just too bad the Gausman deal drops things so much.

In order for the Gausman deal to not be a disaster, they needed VVM. They didn't get him. Encarnacion is intriguing, but he's a second or third piece at best. Zimmerman and Cumberland are fine throw ins. The money saved is good. Really, this trade is missing the headliner. They needed to get someone like Anderson, Toussaint, Allard or even Wilson to make this a good deal. VVM would've counted as the headliner, but without that. this trade falls WAY short.

Can't disagree with any of that.  That sad part is, if they hadn't stuffed O'Day in the deal, they probably would've gotten their headliner, and still been able to make the ultimately futile play for the Mesa's and Gaston.  But hey, they saved $9M off this years' payroll, so alls well that ends well.  Right?  Right???

Now watch O'Day go out and return to form this year, solidifying their 'pen and helping them make a deep playoff run.  Probably not very likely, but that's how the O's luck is back to running....

46 minutes ago, esmd said:

Can't disagree with any of that.  That sad part is, if they hadn't stuffed O'Day in the deal, they probably would've gotten their headliner, and still been able to make the ultimately futile play for the Mesa's and Gaston.  But hey, they saved $9M off this years' payroll, so alls well that ends well.  Right?  Right???

Now watch O'Day go out and return to form this year, solidifying their 'pen and helping them make a deep playoff run.  Probably not very likely, but that's how the O's luck is back to running....

It is more than 9 million.   As the Braves also picked all of O'Day's deferred salary. So  they saved something over 15 million on O"Day. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

The only good news is that this is sort of the last deal of the old regime. The Orioles will hopefully make a very good move with their hires and things will get better. There's still room for optimism about the future. Right!!??? :) 

No. Not sure how anyone can be optimistic after last season. It should be obvious they had no intention on bidding for the Cuban players at all. On top that no GM, President and Coach at this point while other teams are moving forward during the off-season. I certainly don't believe this ownership can be so secretive in today's era of the media. If you believe the Sons are going to be a different style ownership then their Father you might want to re-evaluate your opinion. Hopefully all of this is posturing towards selling the team sometime in the near future.

If you want optimism, look towards the MiL. We do have some good young players that hopefully make the step forward in the next 2-3 years. A majority may not be elite but there's enough talent to build upon.

18 minutes ago, atomic said:

It is more than 9 million.   As the Braves also picked all of O'Day's deferred salary. So  they saved something over 15 million on O"Day. 

Link please.  Where did you read or hear that the Braves picked up O'Day's deferred salary?  They picked up the rest of 2018 and all of 2019.   That total a little under 12m  plus the pick up 1.8m of Gausman's 2018 salary.  That is 13.8m

The only deferred salary the Braves picked up that I have read is the 1M in 2019 that was part of his 9m 2019 salary.

For that the give up what should have been more than what the O's got for 2 months of Machado.   The 2 1/3 years of Gausman should have been worth a couple of core players for the O's rebuild.

Here is what Cots says:

Darren O’Day rhp
4 years/$31M (2016-19)

• acquired by Atlanta in trade from Baltimore 7/31/18 with $11,951,613 remaining on contract ($2,951,613 in 2018 salary and $9M in 2019)

Kevin Gausman rhp
1 year/$5.6M (2018)

• acquired by Atlanta in trade from Baltimore 7/31/18 with $1,836,559 remaining on contract

7 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

No. Not sure how anyone can be optimistic after last season. It should be obvious they had no intention on bidding for the Cuban players at all. On top that no GM, President and Coach at this point while other teams are moving forward during the off-season. I certainly don't believe this ownership can be so secretive in today's era of the media. If you believe the Sons are going to be a different style ownership then their Father you might want to re-evaluate your opinion. Hopefully all of this is posturing towards selling the team sometime in the near future.

If you want optimism, look towards the MiL. We do have some good young players that hopefully make the step forward in the next 2-3 years. A majority may not be elite but there's enough talent to build upon.

Neither the Giants nor the Mets have announced their selection for GM/VP of Baseball Ops or whatever they want to call that position.

38 minutes ago, atomic said:

Well I don't know about you, but that makes me feel a lot better about the deal.

23 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Link please.  Where did you read or hear that the Braves picked up O'Day's deferred salary?  They picked up the rest of 2018 and all of 2019.   That total a little under 12m  plus the pick up 1.8m of Gausman's 2018 salary.  That is 13.8m

The only deferred salary the Braves picked up that I have read is the 1M in 2019 that was part of his 9m 2019 salary.

For that the give up what should have been more than what the O's got for 2 months of Machado.   The 2 1/3 years of Gausman should have been worth a couple of core players for the O's rebuild.

Here is what Cots says:

Darren O’Day rhp
4 years/$31M (2016-19)

• acquired by Atlanta in trade from Baltimore 7/31/18 with $11,951,613 remaining on contract ($2,951,613 in 2018 salary and $9M in 2019)

Kevin Gausman rhp
1 year/$5.6M (2018)

• acquired by Atlanta in trade from Baltimore 7/31/18 with $1,836,559 remaining on contract

It is from the MASN blogs.  O'Day was owed around 3 million in 2018.  8 million in 2019 and 1 million for each of the years 2020 to 2023.  That equals 15 million. 

15 minutes ago, atomic said:

It is from the MASN blogs.  O'Day was owed around 3 million in 2018.  8 million in 2019 and 1 million for each of the years 2020 to 2023.  That equals 15 million. 

Cots does not show that the Braves paid the deferred money for anything but 2019.  Do you have a link to MASN blog entry?