Grade the Gausman Deal

Frobby

Grade the Gausman Deal  

187 members have voted

1. 1. What’s your grade for the Gausman deal

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 01:24

46 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Neither the Giants nor the Mets have announced their selection for GM/VP of Baseball Ops or whatever they want to call that position.

Wildcard, what does that exactly have to do with the Orioles? Mr. Angelos and Sons have run this franchise like it's a 3rd rate amusement park over the last 24 years. For anyone to just take them at their word that their going to invest in infrestructure, internationally or anything else is setting themselves up for an even bigger disappointment when the inevitable happens. It's almost like in the Matrix when the Oracle said she could see the darkness spreading. That's exactly what it feels like right now.

For those that either can't or don't want to remember regarding the Mesa Brothers and Gaston I believe DD's wording was proper value or not overpaying for talent. Shouldn't be a surprise then they didn't go after them even when they initially said they would.

3 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

Wildcard, what does that exactly have to do with the Orioles? Mr. Angelos and Sons have run this franchise like it's a 3rd rate amusement park over the last 24 years. For anyone to just take them at their word that their going to invest in infrestructure, internationally or anything else is setting themselves up for an even bigger disappointment when the inevitable happens. It's almost like in the Matrix when the Oracle said she could see the darkness spreading. That's exactly what it feels like right now.

For those that either can't or don't want to remember regarding the Mesa Brothers and Gaston I believe DD's wording was proper value or not overpaying for talent. Shouldn't be a surprise then they didn't go after them even when they initially said they would.

What it means that the Giants and Mets have not announced their GM is that the O's are not necessarily behind the other teams in the baseball in selecting their GM.   

On whether to trust the O's will do what they say: I think the O's will select at least one executive to run the O's and maybe two.  I expect that GM will layout to the fans what has been agreed upon that the O's will try to accomplish in the rebuild.

I never thought the O's would sign Mesa.   Many posters told me I had to want to see what they would do.  Now I have.  It confirms what I thought in the first place. Stupid trade.

Just now, wildcard said:

What it means that the Giants and Mets have not announced their GM is that the O's are not necessarily behind the other teams in the baseball in selecting their GM.   

On whether to trust the O's will do what they say: I think the O's will select at least one executive to run the O's and maybe two.  I expect that GM will layout to the fans what has been agreed upon that the O's will try to accomplish in the rebuild.

I never thought the O's would sign Mesa.   Many posters told me I had to want to see what they would do.  Now I have.  It confirms what I thought in the first place. Stupid trade.

I expect the new GM to be hamstrung by ownership.

If they are not willing to spend on International talent now, after making a big deal about how things are going to change, why should we think a new GM is going to change things?

The sons had a chance to make a statement with this International slot money.  They surely succeeded.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I expect the new GM to be hamstrung by ownership.

If they are not willing to spend on International talent now, after making a big deal about how things are going to change, why should we think a new GM is going to change things?

The sons had a chance to make a statement with this International slot money.  They surely succeeded.

IMO the Sons are not ready to spend on players until they get their executives in place and agree on a direction and moves they can make.

Maybe the Sons do not know if 5.25m for Victor Mesa is a good deal or 2.6m for Gaston.  

As far as I can tell the O's are still in the tear down stage of the rebuild and probably are not ready to spend 5m on any player yet.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

IMO the Sons are not ready to spend on players until they get their executives in place and agree on a direction and moves they can make.

Maybe the Sons do not know if 5.25m for Victor Mesa is a good deal or 2.6m for Gaston.  

As far as I can tell the O's are still in the tear down stage of the rebuild and probably are not ready to spend 5m on any player yet.

So they don't trust who they have in place?

Sounds familiar.

I guess they know more than their baseball people do.  Just like you know who.

Or maybe they are just super duper cautious and want to take things super slow.

Who does that sound like?

They are already spinning things as the money that isn't going to sign young players is going  to be spent on infrastructure, the same money that was going to go toward international players now that it wasn't going to payroll.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

So they don't trust who they have in place?

Sounds familiar.

I guess they know more than their baseball people do.  Just like you know who.

Or maybe they are just super duper cautious and want to take things super slow.

Who does that sound like?

They are already spinning things as the money that isn't going to sign young players is going  to be spent on infrastructure, the same money that was going to go toward international players now that it wasn't going to payroll.

Who do they have in place and how long will  they be there after the President and GM are announced?

We do not know if Graham, Maduro or Brady will be with the O's after the executives are in place.   Or if they are still with the  O's what positions they will hold.   The executives may have their own guys.

Hopefully the Sons are interviewing some of the best minds in baseball.   Those interviewees may be giving them  ideas about what they would do if they get the jobs.

I don’t think the non-signing of the Mesas or Gastón changes my evaluation of the trade.    They are independent events, and when we made the trade, the appreciable risk that these players would sign elsewhere was known already.    Getting the slots improved our odds of signing those players, but it was far from guaranteed.   

Overall, I considered the trade mediocre when it was made, and I still do.     I don’t see it as an unmitigated disaster, depending on how the players we acquired perform.    But, I don’t think Duquette maximized Gausman’s value.