Grade the Rebuild, Phase I

Frobby

Grade the Rebuild, Phase I  

183 members have voted

1. 1. How do you grade the five trades and rebuild steps overall?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/11/18 at 18:35

16 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

2 month rental of Manny and Britton could help their teams win a WS.

Schoop & Gausman were fan favorites, but their impact on their new team, isn't going to be felt too much.

I beg to differ about Schoop and Gausman. I'm not implying that they are superstars but they will help their respective teams this season and in some capacity next year. They were not going to help Baltimore next year, but they can certainly help their teams next year.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, NATTYBO's said:

Schoop is turning his season around and could end the season with similar #'s to last year.  He's an all star second baseman and would have rather waited to the offseason.  The best thing we got out of Gausman was International bonus money, this is pitiful compared to what rays got for archer

Schoop is only an all star based on his bat skills.

His metrics prove that he is a defensive liability at 2nd. The Brewers need a SS, not sure what they are going to do.

Gausman never played to his abilities here, for whatever reason.

Just now, maybenxtyr said:

I beg to differ about Schoop and Gausman. I'm not implying that they are superstars but they will help their respective teams this season and in some capacity next year. They were not going to help Baltimore next year, but they can certainly help their teams next year.

Maybe, they might, we shall see at the of the season.

Clearly Manny and Britton could play major roles in their teams successes, this season.

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Gausman never played to his abilities here, for whatever reason.

Whatever reason may be pitching coach that doesn't actually help anyone. Buck's TTP obsession. Facing Red Sox and Yankees. Awful defense behind him. Camden Yards.

Wade Miley has a 1.53 ERA this year. Gonna be fun if Gausman turns into Arrieta 2.0.

Just now, Finisher said:

Whatever reason may be pitching coach that doesn't actually help anyone. Buck's TTP obsession. Facing Red Sox and Yankees. Awful defense behind him. Camden Yards.

Wade Miley has a 1.53 ERA this year. Gonna be fun if Gausman turns into Arrieta 2.0.

Miley was never an Oriole first, like Jake and Gausman was.

Miley was left hander with incrediable stuff, that had head issues and made things too mental.

They're going through the motions of an actual rebuild. Trading veterans on the last year of their contract is domino #1. After that, what's the point of having guys with just enough time left of control that they'd reach free agency and get pricey right when the team is hopefully turning a corner? Domino #2 is trading those guys. I can't say I love all the pieces we got back, probably only the Britton trade is one that I'm really impressed with. But I don't know what other offers they got for these guys so I can't fault them if I'm ready to believe they went to the highest bidder. In this sport, and especially this division, we are going to see this team in constant flux. Tear it down and build it up, you can't build it up if you don't tear it down. That's what they're doing. And so far they're showing through their actions that attributing more focus on international prospects is a new approach. 

37 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Not sure how I can grade at this point, its so early?

On the surface, I guess it would have to be a B, I think how Diaz come out of this, as he is the best prospect, could change that.

Let’s revisit this in three years.  This is like grading the draft the day after.  No way to know until all these prospects get a chance to prove themselves.  

A- or B+. Still may make some moves in August as everyone left will clear waivers for sure. The biggest negatives are due to how long this has been delayed.  Given where we are this is about as good as it can go.  Still impressed by the Schoop deal considering Brewers didn’t really need Schoop and we got a great haul. DD waited until he had the best deals we could find and moved everyone we could.  We have international money to spend and will have about as low a payroll as could be finagled for the coming seasons.  Maybe we can move Trumbo in August.  

I gave a slightly lower grade than most at C/C+.  I like the guys returned, but very much want to see what they do with the international money.  It's one thing to collect it, it's another to use it.  Putting yourself in position to sign a VVM type is great, but you still need to execute.  As I mentioned in another thread, if they don't sign VVM and they sit on more than 2.5 million, then I'll be pretty upset with the Gausman trade.

Man, I feel like I'm usually one of the more optimistic folks here, and I gave it a C-/D+.  

I certainly appreciate the direction they appear to be going in, getting younger, at least giving lip service to being more involved internationally, etc.  But I'm just not going to give them too much credit for something they should have been doing for years.  To me when you do a rebuild of this nature the point of it is to expedite the process and get back the next core that's going to help you compete, and I don't think they did that.  Looking at this organization as a whole I don't see the core of a competitive team.  Shedding O'Day's salary is particularly disheartening to me unless this team is really strapped financially.  He's only here for 1 more year - suck up that contract and get a better prospect instead.

I went C+/C.     To me that means they did a respectable job, but didn’t wow me.     Of course, it’s going to be several years before we really know what this crop of young players yields.    If a few of these guys develop well, the return potentially could turn out to be pretty good.    But there’s not a lot of obvious high probability cornerstones here.  

I gave it a B. If the rest of Phrase I includes signing VVM and another few serious international prospects with all of the slot money we received as part of these trades, I'd give it an A-. if they fail to sign any international talent of note and simply sign another DSL team's worth of lottery tickets, I'll probably drop it to a C.

37 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I love the direction. Of course I would have liked some higher prospects yesterday but we don't know what was offered elsewhere. 

This part of the process is never pretty...just like an uninspired team in 2018 isn't thrilling. I think there is some reason for optimism though.

Serious question...how many top 100 players were moved during the deadline season? I really don't know, or know where to find that out. It seems as though teams are valuing their prospects and not parting with them as easily as before.

The Orioles got 5  or 6 out of the to 14 prospects moved before the deadline. Depending on who you talk with.

19 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

Machado deal was ok. Britton so-so. The Gausman deal was disappointing. The Schoop deal was a fleecing.

As much as I love Schoop, I think you’ve always overrated him.  I remember the many times you compared him to Robinson Cano.   I think we got back fair value in this deal, keeping in mind that Schoop was only under team control for 1.3 seasons.

Archived