Take a Flyer on this guy?

Bahama O's Fan

Drew Hutchinson

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/08/drew-hutchison-opts-out-of-dodgers-contract.html

Is this the type of player that we need to take a flyer on as we have to have someone pitch this year now that Gausman is gone, especially if Cashner passes waivers and garners any interest? Should we try him out and see if we catch lightning in a bottle? If not, then no harm, no foul, we want the #1 pick this year anyway right? Still only 27. I thought he was older.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you look at his age 23 season in 2014, it’s very Gausman like. We do need a guy or two like this. Our guys in AA are a year away. No since rushing them and starting their clocks. 

The good thing about Hutchinson is that if you bring him in for the min., give him starts, you can keep him for cheap via arbitration next year. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If you look at his age 23 season in 2014, it’s very Gausman like. We do need a guy or two like this. Our guys in AA are a year away. No since rushing them and starting their clocks. 

The good thing about Hutchinson is that if you bring him in for the min., give him starts, you can keep him for cheap via arbitration next year. 

Here is a point.

Just about every team needs a SP, so for somebody to be available, is because they are expendable, and not worth keeping in their lineup.

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Drew Hutchinson

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/201

57 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

I lean toward letting the young guys play.

8/08/drew-hutchison-opts-out-of-dodgers-contract.html

Is this the type of player that we need to take a flyer on as we have to have someone pitch this year now that Gausman is gone, especially if Cashner passes waivers and garners any interest? Should we try him out and see if we catch lightning in a bottle? If not, then no harm, no foul, we want the #1 pick this year anyway right? Still only 27. I thought he was older.

Let the young guys play.

15 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Let the young guys play.

Hutchinson is 27.

Who are the young guys right now that should be getting starts?

Means is 25

Yacabonis is 26

Rogers is 25

The guys in AA aren’t ready and shouldn’t be rushed. We were looking at Hutchinson this past offseason. He had success in the AL East in 2014. We can offer opportunity. And he has 3 years of control left if it turns out well. 

28 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hutchinson is 27.

Who are the young guys right now that should be getting starts?

Means is 25

Yacabonis is 26

Rogers is 25

The guys in AA aren’t ready and shouldn’t be rushed. We were looking at Hutchinson this past offseason. He had success in the AL East in 2014. We can offer opportunity. And he has 3 years of control left if it turns out well

Yes

I think someone claims him and I am not sure they want to bring in payroll as well this season.  He would still cost 1 million if we claim him the rest of the year.  If he makes it through waivers then sure try to bring him on for 150k or so that is left.  

I'd rather see what we've got in Ramirez and Hess than waste games on someone like Hutchinson who clearly doesn't have it anymore. Though, at times like this it doesn't really matter. I doubt Ramirez or Hess turn out to be anything. A shrug of the shoulders says it all.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Here is a point.

Just about every team needs a SP, so for somebody to be available, is because they are expendable, and not worth keeping in their lineup.

Not every team is on a pace to lose a 120 games. Our roster is a bit different than most. 

Archived