Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

One of the players from the Schoop trade has arrived, in 27-year old veteran infielder, Jonathan Villar.  His last name is pronounced "vee-Yar".  He was added to to the 25-man roster today, per Roch. 

What do you think about Villar?  He's stolen bases well in the past and had an outstanding 2016.  It seems he's someone that could regain value... but I wouldn't expect it.  

Thoughts on him? Will he take over 2B regularly?

• Thanks 1

He didn't just steal 60 plus bases, he had an OPS+ of 117 in 2016 - at age 25.  62 steals and 60 XBH's and 79 walks.  I'd have thought he was one of the top young assets in baseball.  Since then, his OPS+ fell to 71 last year and has rebounded a little to 84 this season.  Yeah, maybe we get lucky, and he does regain some value.  As long as he's healthy, he should be starting.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

He didn't just steal 60 plus bases, he had an OPS+ of 117 in 2016 - at age 25.  62 steals and 60 XBH's and 79 walks.  I'd have thought he was one of the top young assets in baseball.  Since then, his OPS+ fell to 71 last year and has rebounded a little to 84 this season.  Yeah, maybe we get lucky, and he does regain some value.  As long as he's healthy, he should be starting.  

I edited the OP to note his outstanding 2016... thank you.  He's the wild card in the deal.  He's had one truly full season, two years ago, and was very good. Since then, not so much,.  However, as you alluded to, it's possible he regains his prior form and becomes a surprisingly positive addition.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

One of the players from the Schoop trade has arrived, in 27-year old veteran infielder, Jonathan Villar.  He was added to to the 25-man roster today, per Roch. 

What do you think about Villar?  He's stolen bases well in the past and had an outstanding 2016.  It seems he's someone that could regain value... but I wouldn't expect it.  

Thoughts on him? Will he take over 2B regularly?

I am happy to have him on the O's. I'm optimistic about him. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

He’s +6 DRS this year and for his career at 2B. Below average at 3B and well below that at SS. Schoop was slightly above this year and 6 DRS for his career.

So, essentially he's a solid defender at 2B, but not so great elsewhere?