Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

Beckham's defense is so bad he has to hit to get playing time. And he hasn't hit this year. His OPS is below .700 every month this year, including August even with his home run "surge". I think Villar definitely gets a lot of playing time next year and Beckham may be with another team, although the Orioles may keep him and hope for the best. 

3 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

just don't like his defense at SS. 

This (re. Beckham).

And re. Villar, I like everything I've seen so far: power, speed, energy, defense, attitude. A breath of fresh air, for sure. And I liked Schoop fine too, for different reasons (power, smile, and arm).

23 hours ago, esmd said:

Agree to disagree.  He hasn't played 3rd with any consistency since the minors several years ago.  I think it's fair to say that he's improved defensively and could be good there with regular playing time.

While I agree with you that with continued work he could become a decent 3B, I'm not sure he has the hands or coming in on the ball quickness for the position. In my mind he would probably be similar to Nunez defensively at 3B.

I don't think Villar is the answer at SS, but I KNOW Beckam is not. I'd rather play and pay Villar at SS next year and give Wilkerson a chance to win the second base job while bringing in a cheap vet for competition. I also would like to see what McKenna looks like at 2B so I'd try that in the instructional league .

Just now, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Villar is the answer at SS, but I KNOW Beckam is not. I'd rather play and pay Villar at SS next year and give Wilkerson a chance to win the second base job while bringing in a cheap vet for competition. I also would like to see what McKenna looks like at 2B so I'd try that in the instructional league .

worst case scenario, you plug Villar back at 2nd if he is a poor defensive SS. We arent going for a championship, playing a solid SS would only up Villar's trade value(and our enjoyment of games as fans).

16 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I haven't seen a lot of Wilkerson, but whenever I see him, he makes spectacular athletic defensive plays.  I'd like to see him get at least an opportunity to play 3rd or 2nd base next season - as a 300 at bat type player.  He seems like a guy who would wear out if you play him every day.    

19 minutes ago, Thato'sfan said:

worst case scenario, you plug Villar back at 2nd if he is a poor defensive SS. We arent going for a championship, playing a solid SS would only up Villar's trade value(and our enjoyment of games as fans).

That's a good point, though it bears saying that Milwaukee didn't think Villar could play SS so we have to remember he's been evaluated already and found lacking there. FRom the little bit I've seen him play at SS, he doesn't have the ideal release or pure arm strength to be an everyday major league shortstop, but he'll make less bone-headed mistakes than Beckam which is a huge plus in my book.

On top of it, I don't think the Orioles should pay Beckam and Villar on a rebuilding team, and to me, Villar is the much better overall player.

7 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

I haven't seen a lot of Wilkerson, but whenever I see him, he makes spectacular athletic defensive plays.  I'd like to see him get at least an opportunity to play 3rd or 2nd base next season - as a 300 at bat type player.  He seems like a guy who would wear out if you play him every day.    

I don't think Wilkerson is long term answer as an everyday guy but I'd give him the shot next year. Although we're talking a SSS, Rylan Bannon is slashing 400/.500/.600/1.100 over the last week so maybe he's finally gotten out of that funk. I'd bring him in to spring training and let him get some experience and with a good spring and good year, he could be an option by mid-season next year at 2B. He can really pick at second base.

5 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I don't think Wilkerson is long term answer as an everyday guy but I'd give him the shot next year. Although we're talking a SSS, Rylan Bannon is slashing 400/.500/.600/1.100 over the last week so maybe he's finally gotten out of that funk. I'd bring him in to spring training and let him get some experience and with a good spring and good year, he could be an option by mid-season next year at 2B. He can really pick at second base.

Oh yeah, if Bannon gets it going, I'd love to see him take over, but if he needs another year in the minors or someone to share the job with, I'd kinda like to see Wilkerson.  Wilkerson bats much better against lefties, and even though Bannon bats right, he's hit righties better than lefties.     

7 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

By the way, I still think Beckham could be a decent LF. Just need to get rid of Trumbo or Davis. Beckham-Mullins-Hays could be decent.

Now I'm ready for the team to rid themselves of Davis and Trumbo. Beckham in LF? Not sure that's the way to go.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

While I agree with you that with continued work he could become a decent 3B, I'm not sure he has the hands or coming in on the ball quickness for the position. In my mind he would probably be similar to Nunez defensively at 3B.

I hear what you and RR are saying - that certainly could be the case.  I doubt that they re-acquire or sign him anyway, so we'll probably never get our answer.

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

By the way, I still think Beckham could be a decent LF. Just need to get rid of Trumbo or Davis. Beckham-Mullins-Hays could be decent.

Maybe, but he was be an extremely poor hitting LFer. Beckam could help his value out if he could show he could play the outfield.

• Upvote 1