Jonathan Villar- Our new 2B?

Greg Pappas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

o

Villar's grand slam in the 2nd inning accounted for all of the Orioles' runs in tonight's game.

(vs. RED SOX, 5/06)

NUMBER 4

JONATHAN RAFAEL VILLAROQUE

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. INDIANS, 5/17)

NUMBER 5

o

• 2 weeks later...

o

(vs. ROCKIES, 5/25)

NUMBER 6

o

o

(vs. TIGERS, 5/27)

NUMBER 7

o

• 3 weeks later...

o

(vs. RED SOX, 6/16)

With the Orioles trailing by one run late in a low-scoring game, Jonathan Villar led off the inning with a Walk, stole both 2nd AND 3rd base, and scored the tying run on a wild patch.

o

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. RED SOX, 6/16)

With the Orioles trailing by one run late in a low-scoring game, Jonathan Villar led off the inning with a Walk, stole both 2nd AND 3rd base, and scored the tying run on a wild patch.

o

Have to imagine that Villar is available for trade. I think he’s my favorite position player right now.

17 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

(vs. RED SOX, 6/16)

o

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

I have to imagine that Villar is available for trade. I think hes my favorite position player right now.

o

Villar has a clause in his contract that says that he can't be traded unless that Richard Todd fan approves of it.

o

Is Villar a non tender candidate for this upcoming offseason?  $4.3 million salary this year. Usually a player’s last year in arb they see a big jump. Maybe he gets $6 million?

Is it worth it, on a 110 loss team, to have a .700 OPS $6 million 2B/SS?  

Even though Alberto and Martin are our only MLB SS depth, I still think we have to trade Villar at the deadline for whatever we can get. Hopefully that would be an organizational top 30 prospect from some team that doesn’t require 40 man roster protection. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Is Villar a non tender candidate for this upcoming offseason?  $4.3 million salary this year. Usually a player’s last year in arb they see a big jump. Maybe he gets $6 million?

Is it worth it, on a 110 loss team, to have a .700 OPS $6 million 2B/SS?  

Even though Alberto and Martin are our only MLB SS depth, I still think we have to trade Villar at the deadline for whatever we can get. Hopefully that would be an organizational top 30 prospect from some team that doesn’t require 40 man roster protection. 

I think there’s 0 chance he gets DFAd. He definitely has value even if it’s just the on the field product. 

As for his NTC, I have to believe he’d agree to a trade to a contender. 

I cant imagine the Orioles wouldn’t pay him his arbitration number. He’s one of the few reasons to watch.

20 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think there’s 0 chance he gets DFAd. He definitely has value even if it’s just the on the field product. 

I cant imagine the Orioles wouldn’t pay him his arbitration number. He’s one of the few reasons to watch.

I don’t think Villar has a no trade clause. I like Villar, but I don’t think a 100 loss, 2020 team, should pay him $6 million. I think there is at least a 40% he would get non tendered. Definitely a discussion.  

That’s why I think we pretty much trade him for whatever at the deadline.  He goes to the highest bidder.  Preferably we’d trade him for a top org 30 prospect that doesn’t have to be protected on the 40 man this offseason.

I know we are real thin up the middle with MLB ready guys, but would a Alberto/Wilkerson at SS/2B be that much worse?  It would cost $6 million less.  

31 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Why would Villar have a NTC?