August Trade Stock Watch

ScGO's

Well, it looks like Valencia was cut.  Maybe I should rename this thread, "Players to be DFA'd in before the end of the season."

I wonder if he was shopped at all before he was released?  Or if he passed through waivers at all.  Can he still be shopped or if you're DFA does the mean you are already released?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ScGO's said:

Well, it looks like Valencia was cut.  Maybe I should rename this thread, "Players to be DFA'd in before the end of the season."

I wonder if he was shopped at all before he was released?  Or if he passed through waivers at all.  Can he still be shopped or if you're DFA does the mean you are already released?

He was DFA'd.   That takes him off the roster, the team has 10 days to trade him or release him.   So they can still try to get something for him.

Just now, SteveA said:

He was DFA'd.   That takes him off the roster, the team has 10 days to trade him or release him.   So they can still try to get something for him.

Interesting.  I guess its a gamble for anyone that wants him; do I wait for his release and try to sign him, or do I trade for him to make sure we get him.

A look into some of our August (maybe) trade bait stock.

1. Jones - .320 since the break.  Looks real good in RF.  Does anyone need an OF starter?  That's the only way I see him going is if he is guaranteed playing time on a solid contender.  Again, its up to him though.  For some reason, I still think it could happen.  Just the contender in him.

2. Valencia - Been DFA's and I'm sure he's being shopped.  Surprised he wasn't claimed.  May just be released.  How long do we have left until he's granted his release?

3. Trumbo - I still don't see it happening, but Dan seems focused on cutting payroll, so maybe he gets creative.  But he has been great since the break and solid overall.  He's also killing it in away games (.709 OPS home compared to .870 Away) so maybe he can be advertised as a change of scenery guy.

4. Joey Rickard - Another guy killing it since the break (.905 OPS).  Has a little value.  Probably the most unpredictable of all the O's right now as he could be DFA'd, traded, or the starting left fielder next year.  A guy Dan needs to make a decision on.

5. Craig Gentry - Still rehabbing, but looking good. Batting .444.

6. Caleb Joseph - Has really continued to struggle.  Looks old.  If only he could play all his games at home (.422 OPS Away, .766 at home).  Might just be DFA'd.

7. Andrew Cashner - The start in Texas didn't help, but someone might get desperate for pitching and claim him, Like Oakland.  I still don't see anybody claiming Cobb at all, but maybe Cashner.

Not that we will get in anything in return, I'm just interested in how Dan is going to manage the roster moving forward.  

On the Trumbo front, I wonder if the Yankees would take him on? Greg Bird has been a replacement level 1B when healthy this year and has a .591 OPS in the second half. With Oakland and Seattle now breathing down their necks, Trumbo may be a marginal upgrade and the Yankees may be a team willing to eat some of his 2019 salary if he pick up the 2018 tab. Rockies would be another interesting option. He has a .595 OPS in the second half and has a -0.3 rWAR this year.

On 8/8/2018 at 1:45 PM, ScGO's said:

1. Adam Jones - Warm - It sounds to me if he can be traded to contender where he is guaranteed a starting role, he might bite. If somebody goes down for a playoff contender, he might bring back a decent prospect. Dan would love shedding some of the money left on the contract.  His September salary alone is between 2-3 million I would think.

2. Danny Valencia - Hot - The ideal player for September expanded rosters.  One thing, and he does it well, mash the lefties. Might actually get a player in return if there is some minor competition for him.

3. Mark Trumbo - Cold - I haven't heard his name at all.  I just think Dan could try to be creative with shedding roster space. He got rid of O'day when nobody saw that coming.  Props to Dan on that one.  But let's see if he can do it again.  Would be pulling a big clog out of the roster shuffle too as it would be a valuable move in allowing some younger players to play more and in the correct positions.

4. Joey Rickard - Cold - No where to put him with the new infusion of OF talent.  Entering arbitration too.  Maybe swap for someone in the same situation but who plays middle infield? A AAAA player for a AAAA player?

5. Craig Gentry - Warm - Speed and defense are always appreciated in September.  If he returns healthy, he might get shipped to a contender. Again, could net a player or intl' money.

6. Caleb Joseph - Cold -But if a catcher goes down for a contender, he could find a market.  He is still a positive WAR player (not by much), and would be better suited for a 2nd string role.  Has playoff experience too.  Will probably gain a raise in arbitration, so could be another salary relief move.

7. Andrew Cashner - Cold - I don't see it happening, but if he puts 2 or 3 solid starts together and someone gets desperate, he could go.  Might have a better market next year, and we do need a little depth for pitching next year, but if Dan gets a chance to pass the salary off, it might happen.

Wild Card: Pedro Alvarez - Quietly killing it at AAA.  Even if he isn't called up, I wonder if Dan would be able to shop him to someone looking for big lefty power when the rosters expand in September.   This would be an impressive move.

1. Jones - Now that he's a RF, he's more like a 2 WAR player.  I still wonder if he can be talked into a trade with the Yankees or Astros.

2. Valencia - Was cut, and another sign of the changing markets and how irrelevant this thread may be.

3. Trumbo - If he's playing 1B or DH, he's a 1 WAR guy.  But what contenders even need him.  AL only guy I would think? Especially if they have to keep him on the roster next year.  Maybe Cleveland? I know Dan has to have him in his radar for shedding money, bt we're probably gonna have to eat some.

4. Joey Rickard - Is helping his stock recently, but has the most unclear future of anyone on the roster right now.  Could be anything from a starter to D'FA by next season.  Anyone notice is home and away splits?  If he played all his games at Camden Yards, he'd be an AL AllStar. Could be a solid 4th/5th OF for a playoff team.

5. Craig Gentry - If he was a fulltime player, he might have 40 Steals.  I still think a NL team finds a way to get them on their roster by the end of the season, whether through trade, waiver claim or, DFA then sign.

6. Caleb Joseph - Probably won't be on the team next season as arbitration would push his salary closer to 2 Million.  If Buck weren't still the coach, he might already be gone.  Probably still has value in handling the pitching staff til the end of the season, but I don't see a contender wanting him at this point.

7. Cashner - For his salary, he's playing right at his value.  Seems to make a lot of sense for a team like the A's or some of the smaller market NL clubs in it that are looking to bolster a young staff for next year, like the Cards, Rockies, or Phillies

Wild Card: Pedro's gotta be asking for a trade I'd think, or his release.  I guess Cobb is making a case for himself too, and I'm sure Dan wants to shed that remaining $43 mill owed.  Yankees?

36 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Why wouldn’t we keep Cobb? We’re paying him to pitch well and surely there’s value in that if there won’t be prospects coming back.

Agree. Cobb is the only big payroll starter I would keep. Someone has to provide consistent innings. Otherwise, we will kill our pen, even an 8 man pen with the frequent flyer shuttle. And it isn't like he's making Scherzer or Verlander money. His salary is reasonable and three years of further control.

Cashner nibbles way too much. I would take a salary dump of Cashner this Winter. Bundy has lost 5 mph off his velo and his breaking ball is a cement mixer. He says he is fine, but I just don't believe him. You have to keep him at this point and hope he can regain his stuff. Selling now would be a mistake. Maybe Bundy is the closer Buck was talking about. It is possible that he just cannot handle the starter workload.

If we trade Cobb just to dump salary, we have to go out and pay someone to replace him in the winter. We may get some help from the minors late next year, but I wouldn't rush anyone when there is no point. I hope Akin can dominate AAA like he did in AA, and maybe Ortiz or Kremer prove they are ready by the end of next season.

Just now, pdiddy said:

They need to keep Cobb and Cashner, or at least not be in a hurry. They don’t cost a ton and have done idea how to pitch...very well recently for Cobb. 

Cashner just needs to attack hitters. If they hit it, so be it. He pitches afraid and gets behind. Then, he gets lit up on a middle/middle 3-1 slider. His stuff is better than that. You would think a veteran big guy like that would have figured that out by now. But he always falls into that rut.

Trumbo's injury kinda drops his stock I imagine. You trade Cobb is the return is good, not to dump salary. If you get some good young players that you think are future starters with your club, then by all means, trade him. It should be about the long term viability of the club now. We can pay someone to eat up innings next year. A lot of free payroll.

Archived