Has Cobb become our "ace"?

Flacco Machado

16 hours ago, Flacco Machado said:

After a disastrous start and saving stray dogs from traffic, he has been pitching much, much better. He has his ERA down to 5.31 with Bundy's ERA approaching 5.00.

Couple more good starts and you have to think he's our best starter, right?

Who would have thunk it?

I don't know. It's kind of hard for me to even believe the O's have a pitcher that could be considered an Ace. 

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

He could be a decent value for a contending team which is why I never liked the deal. Four year deals on a poor team make little sense. And yes I’m aware of the company line prior to this year.

Yeah.. I believed the company line. Definitely thought we were at least an 81 win team and that Cobb was a key factor in that. And that maybe a little luck would have pushed into a wild card spot. 

I thought we'd have 4 decent turns in the rotation, Tillman as a wild card, a solid enough bullpen until Britton came back and a well balanced offense. Certainly not how it turned out.

41 minutes ago, Natty said:

Leads the majors in losses. May very well lose 20 games this year. 

Combination of bad pitching and poor run support.    3-5 with 3 no decisions in 11 quality starts.   0-10 with one no decision in 11 non-quality starts.   

32 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Combination of bad pitching and poor run support.    3-5 with 3 no decisions in 11 quality starts.   0-10 with one no decision in 11 non-quality starts.   

Cobb's WHIP is 1.49... 74th out of 77  qualifiers. 

9 hours ago, Natty said:

Cobb's WHIP is 1.49... 74th out of 77  qualifiers. 

First 11 starts: 1.77

Last 11 starts: 1.26

Realistically, he won’t get it below 1.40 before the end of the year and will still probably be in the highest 10 qualifiers.   But at least he’s pitching well enough now where he will qualify, with room to spare.  

He’s being paid #2-3 SP money. So he needs to at least be that. 

I really don’t like the crying over no ST, and he didn’t have the feel for his split for 4 months. He chose to do that. We chose to sign him. History says that unles you’re roided out of you mind like Clemens, that you actually need a ST. 

7 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

Our best starter is the 2018 version of Alex Cobb followed by Andrew Cashner and the O's got none of the Braves top prospects for Gausman because Angelos wants to dump payroll and Bundy keeps serving it up, this stinks big time.

The O's weren't going to get any of the Braves top prospects. They were not available. If they had been willing to trade one of them, they would have acquired a better pitcher than Gausman.

11 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

The O's weren't going to get any of the Braves top prospects. They were not available. If they had been willing to trade one of them, they would have acquired a better pitcher than Gausman.

Then don't trade him. It's not as if he had a few months left on his contract. The Braves think very highly of Gausman, let them pay up. Never like making trades for the sake of making a trade. With that being said there is always the Angelos factor. If PA wants to shed salary and do it via trade DD has to follow orders.

56 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:

Then don't trade him. It's not as if he had a few months left on his contract. The Braves think very highly of Gausman, let them pay up. Never like making trades for the sake of making a trade. With that being said there is always the Angelos factor. If PA wants to shed salary and do it via trade DD has to follow orders.

I'll just disagree and leave it at that.

20 hours ago, O's are Legends said:

Our best starter is the 2018 version of Alex Cobb followed by Andrew Cashner and the O's got none of the Braves top prospects for Gausman because Angelos wants to dump payroll and Bundy keeps serving it up, this stinks big time.

........and they have a ridiculously loaded farm system.  Encarnacion, ranked 15th in a loaded farm system, is easily a top 10 guy for us, possibly even top 5.  Phillips has back end of the bullpen potential, a player type that has become extremely valuable in recent seasons as teams are loading up on bullpen talent.  Brett Cumberland looks like a decent hit tool guy, but likely isn't a catcher moving forward and is a wild card (he was ranked much higher but has been surpassed as a prospect, so this is buying low.)  Bruce Zimmermann's stock is on serious rise, and if not for the shear volume of pitching prospects that Atlanta has, should've been in their top 30, maybe even top 20.  He's certainly pitched his way into that kind of pitcher and is very polished and moving quickly.  

Meanwhile, Gausman had potential as a TORP pitcher, and I think still has that potential.  The problem is, he's been extremely inconsistent and has not cashed in on that potential yet.  So we are selling low, and selling a salary dump in O'Day.  Despite that, we end up with a top 15 and a top 30 prospect in a ridiculously loaded organization, a guy in Zimmerman who should be in their top 30 and a potential bullpen piece.  Oh yeah, and $2.5 million in international money.  

If you are ranking Gausman as an elite pitcher, yeah, we didn't get that great of a return.  The problem is, he's not an elite pitcher right now, and has only shown those flashes on an inconsistent and short-term basis.  I was shocked that we got what we did for him with O'Day included to be honest. 

54 minutes ago, cheecks said:

There was an article in the Sun where Cobb attributes his recent success to finally finding his changeup. This is great news in that his recent success may be more of a trend than a fluke. 

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-alex-cobb-changeup-20180817-story.html

Nice article.

Roch posted one after today's game. Sounds like Cobb had a great feel for all of his pitches and was able to spot it where he needed. Also talks about his mentality today to finish what he started.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/08/wrapping-up-a-4-2-win-and-cobbs-complete-game.html

Archived