Memorable O's Lefties

wildcard

11 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

According to Palmer, who is supposed to know pitching.

He said Bedard had nasty stuff, and was the best Lefty the Orioles had.

He was the best I had seen since Mussina. But then again, I'm not a baseball expert and I was born in 1988, so...

48 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I was surprised to see that Luke Jackson forgot Mike Cuellar.  He won 20 games 4 times for the O's including the 1969 Cy Young award.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2018/08/13/five-memorable-left-handed-pitchers-in-orioles-history

Well, I guess he wasn’t memorable or Luke Jackson would have remembered him.   

In all seriousness, it’s a joke that Cuellar isn’t on this list.   4th all time in wins for the franchise.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

In all seriousness, it’s a joke that Cuellar isn’t on this list.   4th all time in wins for the franchise.

Yes, that is a terrible oversight. And although Cuellar was a lefty, he had the screwball that played havoc on RH hitters. By far my favorite all time Oriole Lefty and it isn't really close.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Like creating a list of memorable Orioles switch hitters and fail to include Ken Singleton.

2 hours ago, theobird said:

Yes, that is a terrible oversight. And although Cuellar was a lefty, he had the screwball that played havoc on RH hitters. By far my favorite all time Oriole Lefty and it isn't really close.

I remember him. He should have been on the list. To think the O's had four 20 game winners. At one time. 

20 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

I remember him. He should have been on the list. To think the O's had four 20 game winners. At one time. 

It was such a different era.   The O’s only used 13 pitchers the entire  season.  Those four starters made 146 starts and threw 1,081 innings, which was 76% of the total innings thrown by the staff.   

1 hour ago, MagicBird said:

As pro Skankee as Singleton is he can be forgotten.

Kenny never played for the Yankees.   He just announced for them.  I think he still lives in the Baltimore area.   He is a class act.  Someone I am glad was an Oriole.

Just now, wildcard said:

Kenny never played for the Yankees.   He just announced for them.  I think he still lives in the Baltimore area.   He is a class act.  Someone I am glad was an Oriole.

Unless u were and Orioles fan when he played for them you would never know he was an Oriole.

Does he ever say anything good about the Orioles?

o

My older cousins grew up in the 60's and early-to-mid 70's.

They are both Yankee fans. They both told me that the pitcher that drove them the craziest (as Yankee fans) was Mike Cuellar.

For me, hearing the sentiment of fans of a rival team of the Orioles goes a long way. They have/had no stake in championing Cuellar and/or any other Orioles pitcher. They simply dreaded seeing Cuellar toeing the rubber against the Yankees more than any other pitcher at that time.

o

5 hours ago, wildcard said:

I was surprised to see that Luke Jackson forgot Mike Cuellar.  He won 20 games 4 times for the O's including the 1969 Cy Young award.

https://www.pressboxonline.com/2018/08/13/five-memorable-left-handed-pitchers-in-orioles-history

Mike Cuellar won (shared) the Cy Young Award in 1969, won the only World Series game against the Mets and pitched a complete game in Game 5 of the 1970 Series to win a World Chanpionship.  Four 20 game winning seasons- he was at the heart of the most dominant Orioles team in history from 1969-1971.  How he gets left off is inexplicable. 

Archived