Dan to Roch: “I’ve been told by ownership that the club’s going to take the payroll down significantly. "

weams

29 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If ownership is talking to DD about next years payroll, does that mean something is in place for him to get an extension and lead the rebuild?

Not so sure about that.  His mention of "That's an offseason issue and I don't know what they are going to do" is an indication that he is very much a free agent.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now, will the MLB payroll savings be reallocated as new outlays for analysts, coaches and scouts?  That would be reasonable, maybe even exciting.

I believe 2 win players and up aren't manufacturable, but even the best teams aren't going to have more than 12-13 of them.  The space between replacement level and 1-win is a lot more nebulous territory, and one where my gut feeling is the Orioles intellectual capital is well behind many other teams.

34 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

If ownership is talking to DD about next years payroll, does that mean something is in place for him to get an extension and lead the rebuild?

...or just that Dan isn't totally in the dark

3 hours ago, drjohnnyfeva said:

I think that's where the significant reduction comes in.  Davis can't handle another year of the scrutiny about performance and especially on a losing/rebuilding team team.   We'll eat most of his contract, but not all of it.  He won't be on the team come Spring Training.  That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.?

Disagree...Davis is will give himself at least half the season next year to see if he improves...and I still think he would force the team to cut him, he's not turning down all the money owed to him. 

2 minutes ago, sevastras said:

Trumbo, Cobb, Cashner, Beckham, Bundy, all gone. What is the estimate for Bundy in arb? I could see Bundy packaged with Trumbo. 

I think trading Bundy this offseason would be selling way too low on him.  Package him with Trumbo and we would be giving him away.  I don't know if I buy Bundy having a TOR career but I do think the flashes he has shown could make him the type of guy that could have a huge first half next year (or the year after) that could bring back a big prospect package back at the deadline.

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

It only makes sense to take the payroll down during a period when your team won’t be competitive anyway.   The Astros took their payroll down to $14.6 mm in 2013.   The Cubs got down to $59.8 mm in 2014.    This is what rebuilding looks like.   

The Cubs number looks about right but that Astros payroll is hard to believe without double checking.  Crazy.

I think anyone that's been paying attention shouldn't be surprised that it was coming.  Maybe somewhat surprising that they're going public in August, but I'm good with it.  Makes no sense to keep high paid veterans around when they're rebuilding.  Trumbo needs to go, even if they have to eat 1/4 - 1/2 of his salary.  Someone needs to pitch, but I wouldn't be super upset if they moved Cobb and Cashner, especially if they bring a halfway decent prospect return.  I'm on the fence with offering Beckham arbitration.  Not sure he's worth it.  Davis....ugh.  They really should just release him, but I dunno if they will.  If they do, it will truly signify a new direction.  Getting O'Day's salary off the books was big.

Hey, if you're going to rebuild, then do all the way, strip it down, and rebuild.  No need to keep guys like Trumbo, Cobb, and Casher around.  I'm good with it.

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

Of course Angelos loaned money to the business.  Whenever any owner puts money into a business it is in the form of a loan.  That way when that money is recouped it isn't a taxable event.  

Sure. That’s not sleazy. The sleazy part is making it sound like Angelos was paying for free agents out of own pocket. 

Non tendering Beckham is easy because he's a butcher in the field and not worth the cost to be a utility guy.

Nobody is taking Trumbo but if you eat half his salary .. ?

Cashner for some non prospect to salary dump.

No contract offer to Jones (good).

Bundy Davis and cash for Chen and Prado. Would be gross but only way you rid yourself of Davis short of releasing (smarter to just eat his contract but if we sacrificed Gausman's value to eat O'Day's deal wouldn't put this out of the realm of possibility).

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

That's a bit cynical.  With all the egomaniacal owners out there you don't believe that there has ever been one that decided to go all in even if he knew it was likely to result in a deficit just to win once?  Ok, how about an egomaniacal owner who says thinks he will be in a deficit for a given year but the winning will bring more fans in the coming years?

I agree that generally these guys make more money than they pretend they do, but business all of the time operate at deficits while attempting to grow, why would a baseball team be any different?

That is not unusual for me.

Could a set of circumstances play out in such a way that an owner might lose money in a given year?  Sure, theoretically.

But this collection of little boys have cried wolf way too many times for me to give them the benefit of the doubt.  You want to prove to me you lose money?  Open the books.

Archived