Dan to Roch: “I’ve been told by ownership that the club’s going to take the payroll down significantly. "

weams

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I don't believe a word the owners say about money. Back in the early to mid naughts, there were many reports that Angelos was funding part of the payroll out of his pocket. I think maybe Tony and some of the OH at the time were shown figures at the dinner they had with Flanny and Beattie? Anyway, it turned out that Angelos had loaned the Orioles money, not given the Orioles money. MLB is a racket, a vice. And we're all addicted. :)

I know Witchy Chick and TonyS were at that dinner. They may have some insight. 

43 minutes ago, O's are Legends said:
Joe Maddon Chicago Cubs $6,000,000
Bruce Bochy San Francisco Giants $6,000,000
Mike Scioscia Los Angeles Angels $6,000,000
Buck Showalter Baltimore Orioles $3,500,000
Don Mattingly Miami Marlins $2,500,000

Manager salaries 2018

And so, if one wants to be Draconian about it, at least another 2 million--and fairly easily more--could be saved there. The next eight managers on the list below Mattingly make between $800k (Kevin Cash) and one and a third million (Molitor, Boone), with the managers of the Nats, RSox, Jays, and Rays all making a million or less.

I'm not part of the fire Showalter group (nor am I committed to continuing with him), but it's not easy to justify paying him 2.6 to 3.5 times what the other AL East managers make when his W/L record is so much worse than theirs since early in the 2017 season. I'm sure Buck and Dan have it on their minds.

2 hours ago, weams said:

I know Witchy Chick and TonyS were at that dinner. They may have some insight. 

Witchy was there, as was Tony Pente and a few others.  I wasn't invited, but would have appreciated the opportunity.  The thing to take from that is how Flanagan used to follow fans' comments and my guess is he wanted to set the record straight on some misconceptions he had seen here and elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, Natty said:

We have to take the payroll down significantly because 84M is going down the toilet the next 4 years for the significant Davis contract. 

$92 mm, but who’s counting? 

(Actually, the non-deferred payments that are payable in the next 4 years are $68 mm.   The other $24 mm comes later.)

9 hours ago, Ohfan67 said:

I don't believe a word the owners say about money. Back in the early to mid naughts, there were many reports that Angelos was funding part of the payroll out of his pocket. I think maybe Tony and some of the OH at the time were shown figures at the dinner they had with Flanny and Beattie? Anyway, it turned out that Angelos had loaned the Orioles money, not given the Orioles money. MLB is a racket, a vice. And we're all addicted. :)

Look at next season as rehab, then... :grouphug:

5 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

The Cubs number looks about right but that Astros payroll is hard to believe without double checking.  Crazy.

The Astros player total was right at 15 million they had all guys at 490K to 550k and Bedard at 1.5 million.   They did however have nearly 23 million they were eating with trades they made during that offseason and other moves.  So it was more about 38 million total in player salary as they paid more for guys not to play for the then they did to play for them. 

Archived