Who is part of our next winning core?

Frobby

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next winning core? I didn’t watch the little league World Series, but I think that’s the right age group. ?

but seriously, the lack of premium prospects is troubling. The Orioles didn’t emerge from the dark age until they drafted and traded for some real all star prospects. Most of the top Oriole prospects have lower ceilings. The next two or three drafts might change that along with some international spending. But realistically  they get lucky with draft picks, health, etc, the next Oriole winning team may not be until the 2020 draft pick is a rookie. Out of the current prospects who will be a productive MLB player still under team control? Scratches head. 

18 hours ago, Frobby said:

My nominees:

Mullins 

Hays 

Diaz

DL Hall

Akin

Lowther

GrayRod

I hope in a year I can add some other names from the group of players who are already in our organization, including some of the guys we obtained in trades last month.    Especially some infielders.

Winning core - does that mean more than 81 wins? Or a legit contender?

If we're talking legit contender - it is too early to tell. While I think some of the Orioles prospects will have successful careers, I personally don't think the O's current prospects add up to be that great of a team.

I have serious reservations about the future of the rotation, the infield, and whether Mullins/Hays/Diaz will truly be more than 1-2 WAR players. Mountcastle's lack of defense creates issues on a team that already has Mancini and is stuck with Davis.

7 minutes ago, theocean said:

Winning core - does that mean more than 81 wins? Or a legit contender?

If we're talking legit contender - it is too early to tell. While I think some of the Orioles prospects will have successful careers, I personally don't think the O's current prospects add up to be that great of a team.

I have serious reservations about the future of the rotation, the infield, and whether Mullins/Hays/Diaz will truly be more than 1-2 WAR players. Mountcastle's lack of defense creates issues on a team that already has Mancini and is stuck with Davis.

More than 81 wins. A fun season. 

I would add Grenier and Knight to the OP. For me, Knight was a steal in round 3. The wear and tear on his arm is minimal. He didn't do the summer travel ball, not ever. Very rare these days, but a real bonus for his long term health and another reason why there is still projection there. Needs to keep getting stronger and improve his command, but he has an excellent feel for pitching and his slider is outstanding. I think you'll see more velocity in the next few years as he gets stronger. That young man is as tough a competitor as they come. I don't care at all if he struggles in limited innings this summer. In 2019, I believe he will move quickly through the minors and may just be up to stay in 2020. Blaine was a star in the biggest moments through his college career.

22 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I would add Grenier and Knight to the OP. For me, Knight was a steal in round 3. The wear and tear on his arm is minimal. He didn't do the summer travel ball, not ever. Very rare these days, but a real bonus for his long term health and another reason why there is still projection there. Needs to keep getting stronger and improve his command, but he has an excellent feel for pitching and his slider is outstanding. I think you'll see more velocity in the next few years as he gets stronger. That young man is as tough a competitor as they come. I don't care at all if he struggles in limited innings this summer. In 2019, I believe he will move quickly through the minors and may just be up to stay in 2020. Blaine was a star in the biggest moments through his college career.

I like these thoughts. 

1 hour ago, Ohfan67 said:

Next winning core? I didn’t watch the little league World Series, but I think that’s the right age group. ?

but seriously, the lack of premium prospects is troubling. The Orioles didn’t emerge from the dark age until they drafted and traded for some real all star prospects. Most of the top Oriole prospects have lower ceilings. The next two or three drafts might change that along with some international spending. But realistically  they get lucky with draft picks, health, etc, the next Oriole winning team may not be until the 2020 draft pick is a rookie. Out of the current prospects who will be a productive MLB player still under team control? Scratches head. 

Schoop was on the mound for the save  in a LLWS championship. Not as far fetched as you think. 9 years later he was our starting 2B. 

I have a feeling that guys like Hanifee becoming a dependable #3 or Grenier/Bannon turning into a UIF/supersub will be crucial.

I have high hopes for DL and Adam Hall and Grayson Rodriguez and Austin Hays but having some less heralded guys making consistent contributions is going to be important for this organization.

Archived