I am 110% behind rebuild but I’d love to have Schoop back!

Rene88

38 minutes ago, LocoChris said:

I thought he’d be rock solid for them. Everyone seems to get that magic pixie dust when going to NY. Very surprised. 

There are numerous examples of players going to the Yankees that can't handle the pressure, move on and do great elsewhere.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Malike said:

There are numerous examples of players going to the Yankees that can't handle the pressure, move on and do great elsewhere.

I don’t think Britton has trouble handling pressure.   He’s just not as sharp as he was in 2014-16.    Injuries and missing spring training have taken their toll.    I won’t be surprised if he’s excellent next year if he has a fully healthy season.

Just now, Frobby said:

I don’t think Britton has trouble handling pressure.   He’s just not as sharp as he was in 2014-16.    Injuries and missing spring training have taken their toll.    I won’t be surprised if he’s excellent next year if he has a fully healthy season.

I sort of agree. I don't think it helped him getting boo'd off the mound in his first appearance. He said on TV what is happening with him is mental right now, physically he feels fine. 

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree. His command is nowhere near as good as it was 1.94.

19 hours ago, FanSince88 said:

Boy did we ever fleece the Brewers and the Yanks this year.  Atlanta fleeced us hard for Gausman but the Schoop and Britton deals almost make up for it.  I know Schoop was good offensively last year but I think he's benefited from Camden Yards.  Very puzzling a team like the Brewers in the NL with a logjam in the infield gave up so much for him.  Villar alone almost makes it worth the deal with the extra year of control and some speed tools that Schoop did not possess.  Villar's stats will definitely get a boost from the AL and Camden.  Don't get me wrong, I liked Schoop and he played hard but his batting power and arm strength are the only two innate abilities he has.  

Yeah, in retrospect the Gausman trade looks like the terrible trade for Baltimore.  He's controllable until 2021.  Why trade him now?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Cutting payroll.

That’s a bad reason to trade him now, rather than over the winter.    Just not that much money involved if you think you can get a better overall package by waiting.  Now, whether we could have gotten a better package is an open question.   For me the jury’s still out on this deal and I’ll watch the group we acquired and what happens with Mesa before making a conclusion.    We’ll see how our scouts did.  

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s a bad reason to trade him now, rather than over the winter.    Just not that much money involved if you think you can get a better overall package by waiting.  Now, whether we could have gotten a better package is an open question.   For me the jury’s still out on this deal and I’ll watch the group we acquired and what happens with Mesa before making a conclusion.    We’ll see how our scouts did.  

The reason the deal was made at the deadline and not the offseason is the International slots.

But I think the primary reason he was traded was the money.

8 hours ago, CheeryO said:

They have the money.  It's just not wise to spend it if in the middle of a rebuild or, presumably, if trying to sell the team.

O’days money. The trade saved them almost half of O’days salary this year. That’s why we traded Gausman then and not in the offseason. To get O’days money of the books ASAP. 

Atlanta got great value because of this. This was the first move that wasn’t a pure baseball move for us of this rebuild. If you’re not a big market team I guess those have to happen as well. We in theory get a chance to sign VVM, that didn’t cost the Braves, and a lot has to go right for us to sign VVM. 

The Gausman trade was a salary dump. Attach positive value to negative value. Just like DD did with the comp picks previously. I’d take Schoop back for next year, but I don’t see how adding payroll fits????  The only payroll I see us adding is on a one year “prove it” deal for a SP, but we all know that SPs don’t come to Baltimore and the AL East on those. 

It'd make no sense to trade back for Schoop.  If the O's want him back, they should wait another year and sign him as a free agent - not that I'm suggesting they do that, but it'd make more sense than trading for him.     

2 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It'd make no sense to trade back for Schoop.  If the O's want him back, they should wait another year and sign him as a free agent - not that I'm suggesting they do that, but it'd make more sense than trading for him.     

I think the Brewers would not want to trade Schoop back to the O's for a fraction of what they gave up for him.  Would be a loss of face.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think the Brewers would not want to trade Schoop back to the O's for a fraction of what they gave up for him.  Would be a loss of face.

I don't want him back. If he is struggling now why on earth bring him back? 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Right.  There's just no way that happens.  Only way Schoop comes back here is if he signs as a FA after next season.  Probably not very likely, but certainly possible, especially if he doesn't have a good season next year going into FA and the O's are somehow not as awful as we expect.

Archived