Cobb & Cashner Clear Waivers

Greg Pappas

Orioles starters Alex Cobb and Andrew Cashner have both cleared waivers and are eligible to be traded to any of the other 29 teams.

Insiders are predicting an active second trade deadline with no fewer than eight National League teams jockeying for three division titles and two wild card berths. All eight teams are within 3.5 games of the division.

Cobb has $46 million to go through 2021, so he doesn't come cheap, obviously. Cashner, who has a 4.84 ERA, has $9 million to go through next year.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles would take a bag of balls for either and might throw in international signing money with Cobb, especially if they are not that interested in V2. 

First off, why would they trade Cobb AND international signing money?  The Orioles payroll will be pretty low next year all things considered, so I wouldn't trade a veteran innings eater who is just coming into his own just to move slot money.  Second, why wouldnt they be interested in VVM?

28 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

The Orioles would take a bag of balls for either and might throw in international signing money with Cobb, especially if they are not that interested in V2. 

Yea I think if we throw in international money with Cobb we should absolutely be getting back a prospect.  Maybe we'd have to eat some of his salary, but I think trading him AND international slot money for nothing would be negligent.  I understand he'd be off our books but like Yardball said, our payroll will be low next year as it is and with us in full rebuild, we don't need to load up on money to spend in the FA market.  If teams aren't at least willing to take Cobb and his contract for a a lottery ticket prospect and are insisting we also send international money, we shouldn't be trading him.

13 minutes ago, Yardball85 said:

First off, why would they trade Cobb AND international signing money?  The Orioles payroll will be pretty low next year all things considered, so I wouldn't trade a veteran innings eater who is just coming into his own just to move slot money.  Second, why wouldnt they be interested in VVM?

If they are not interested in VVM why would they have traded for International slots in the first place?

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If they are not interested in VVM why would they have traded for International slots in the first place?

Yes, that too.  There is nothing to suggest that they aren't interested in VVM.  As far as  I'm concerned, since they have the most money, they are frontrunners.

They don’t need to give either away and certainly not right now and sure as hell don’t need to add anything. If someone wants them then they’ll have the sense of urgency to make the deal.

Otherwise wait for the larger market or let them both pitch next year. Cobb is going to be very good imo and we either have a couple of guys to help bring the kids along while not sucking or trade pieces next deadline.

If they both cleared waivers the only thing that would provoke a return is eating salary.  SInce the Orioles are not likely to do that on either, it would be a trade of Cobb - Cashner plus in order to get any deal done. The Orioles would likely just take back some dead salary and hope to recoup something at some point. 

Both of those pitchers are large investments for the Orioles going forward with last place teams. Not last in the AL East. Last in baseball. Can't pay much for those results and stay in business.

Don’t forget that trading Cobb might not even be possible because he has full no-trade protection until November.

I’ve already made my feelings known that I think Cobb has value to a rebuilding team because he can throw competent innings that will allow the team to avoid rushing younger pitchers to the majors. While I understand that any value he provides doesn’t equate to wins and losses that matter to a last place team, I think you could keep him around for another season and then move him while probably obtaining a greater return in a trade and value to the extent that you don’t move up minor leaguers that aren’t ready. Given the Orioles inability to get pitchers on one year deals without paying a premium, I don’t think replacing Cobb with a pitcher on a one year deal will save the team significant money next year.

I also don’t think Ortiz, Tate, or Akin are close to ready. Frankly, I’d be surprised if Tate in particular is anything more than a bullpen arm given the low innings totals he has thrown in the minors (and accompanying injuries) and his general inability to miss bats, but I would certainly defer to others like @Luke-OH and @Tony-OH who have a scouting eye because I can’t say my observations are necessarily valid.

24 minutes ago, weams said:

If they both cleared waivers the only thing that would provoke a return is eating salary.  SInce the Orioles are not likely to do that on either, it would be a trade of Cobb - Cashner plus in order to get any deal done. The Orioles would likely just take back some dead salary and hope to recoup something at some point. 

Both of those pitchers are large investments for the Orioles going forward with last place teams. Not last in the AL East. Last in baseball. Can't pay much for those results and stay in business.

Is this from the book, The Infinitely Gargantuan Book of Hyperbole, weams? Pretty sure the franchise can pay the remainder of Cobb's and Cashner's salaries and "stay in business." Almost certainly, the franchise will reap big profits over the next three seasons.

Archived