Is there a roster move coming today? (8/31 Edition)

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, atomic said:

Gentry was our leading WAR getter among current postion players. Now Villar is the leader with 0.8 WAR in his short time here.  Can't we expand rosters tomorrow?  Why would we DFA Gentry? 

I'm guessing it's being done as a favor to Gentry so that he can hook up with a playoff contender.  

48 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

You beat me to it by a minute.

As for why they would DFA Gentry, he doesn't have a future with the team and now they have a free 40-man spot. Maybe wildcard's dream of calling up 17 players in September is coming true. :)

That would make sense except Buck has been talking about bringing up Pedro Alvarez when the rosters expand. 

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

That would make sense except Buck has been talking about bringing up Pedro Alvarez when the rosters expand. 

Gentry beat the DFA clock by a couple weeks. He probably by rights should have been DFA when he was done being hurt. 

I’m guessing the Os weren’t willing to eat any money on Cashner or Cobb and that is why they weren’t traded today(barring any last 10 minute deals). I am kind of glad, because those two would be selling low for salary relief and not value. Hope they both, and Bundy have excellent first half’s next year and yield great returns. The potential is there for all three, maybe Bundy looks like Ubaldo c. 2010 first half, that would be a haul!

I would love to know who were some of the players we were trying to claim. It would be interesting. I wonder if we should be looking at some of the players being put on waivers or DFA by teams adding players, like this guy:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=bollin001rya&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker

He is being let go by the Yankees because of their trade for the Pirates SS yesterday

8 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would love to know who were some of the players we were trying to claim. It would be interesting. I wonder if we should be looking at some of the players being put on waivers or DFA by teams adding players, like this guy:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=bollin001rya&utm_campaign=Linker&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=linker

He is being let go by the Yankees because of their trade for the Pirates SS yesterday

I'd assume all the claim targets were pulled back. It is tradition for most teams to try most players during the revocable season.

2 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

We should definitely be looking to upgrade the the 40 man. That’s one thing that’s stood out to me this year, DD didn’t do his usual constant trying to upgrade the bottom of the 40 man. No trades for DFAd guys for cash. I don’t think DD had much power until the trade deadline. 

Buck trotting our Joseph over Wynns, Gentry over Rickard, Davis over anyone, leads me to believe that he going down with the sinking ship and isn’t coming back next year. Buck would be a terrible GM because he is too loyal to his players. 

Archived