The Streak

Moose Milligan

Fittingly being posted in the wee hours of September 6th, of course....

Cal's consecutive game streak?  No.

What about Cal's consecutive inning streak?  Nyet.

DiMaggio's 56 game hit streak?  Pish and posh.  

What about winning streaks for games in a row?  26 games, NY Giants?  Fat chance.

Division Titles, Atlanta Braves?  Nope.

No, ladies and germs.  I'm talking about another streak altogether.  I'm talking about one that has been going on right under our collective noses for awhile now and we need to keep track of it.  When it's all said and done, it very well might land amongst the most impressive streaks in baseball history.

I'm talking about the Bobby Dickerson streak.

Yes, you heard me correctly.  The Bobby Dickerson Streak.

"Moose, what are you talking about?"

Well I am so glad you asked.

I'm talking about the ongoing streak of Bobby Dickerson being mentioned in every game by the Orioles broadcast teams.  Usually being mentioned in conjunction with infielders taking extra ground balls and how great of an infield coach Bobby Dickerson is.   But I have a feeling Bobby Dickerson has been mentioned in each TV broadcast for the past several weeks in a row.  And why not?  It's a fun name to say, it just rolls off the tongue.  Bahhbeee Dick-er-suhn.  Bobby Dickerson.  It's just one of those names that you can automatically make assumptions about the person if you don't even know them.  Bobby Dickerson.  Great guy, always there for the fellas.  Hard worker.  A guy you'd want to be in the trenches with.  Tough and scrappy.  Let's overlook the amount of errors the Orioles infield has committed and just focus on the fact that Bobby Dickerson is a hell of a guy.

Alas, not even the good natured people at SABR.org can figure out how many games in a row Bobby Dickerson has been mentioned.  I wrote them earlier and they refused my request.  They have more pressing, more obscure (but not as important!) things to research.  

The Bobby Dickerson Streak rules are simple:  If Bobby Dickerson is mentioned in a TV broadcast, the streak continues.  There should be some sort of bonus for footage being shown of Bobby Dickerson working with the infielders but I can't think of one.  Open to suggestions.

So the count officially begins on September 5th, 2018 in a game vs. the Seattle Mariners.  Let's not forget that Cal's streak started quietly in late May of '82.  Let's not forget that DiMaggio's hit streak started with a simple 1-4 against the White Sox.  

Great things often come from humble beginnings.   Don't forget where you were the night that the Bobby Dickerson Streak officially began.  

51 minutes ago, esmd said:

Well played, man, well played.  This got a pretty good laugh out of me this morning.  Can the Bobby Dickerson drinking game be far behind?

We're sharing a brain.  I was thinking about making this a drinking game, not sure how to do it.

Man, a season this bad is really taxing.

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm sure like, 3 people will be watching the game tonight.  I'm going to try to watch most of it.  If there's a Bobby Dickerson mention, please update.

Because you axed, I submit this gem from MASN earlier,

Some highlights, "the guy who catches the most balls during the game is the catcher"

"I can hear a good infield, no rattle - pop, pop, pop!"

"If your face is behind it, you got more chance to pick the ball"

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'm sure like, 3 people will be watching the game tonight.  I'm going to try to watch most of it.  If there's a Bobby Dickerson mention, please update.

Does a Roch Kubatko quote count (from today)?  Just axin' ....

"Núñez was pretty bad in his early days with the Orioles. There’s no way to sugarcoat it. But you can see the gradual improvement, to where he seems more confident making throws across the diamond and is handling ground balls and sharp one-hoppers that were tying him up.

So much credit again goes to third base coach Bobby Dickerson, who remains one of the best infield instructors in baseball. (I’ll specify the sport even though I’m pretty sure that one isn’t needed in the NHL.)

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/09/this-that-and-the-other-166.html

Nope, it's gotta be an Orioles broadcast on MASN.  They actually have to say the name.  Bonus points for saying that an infielder worked with him, super extra mega bonus points for showing a clip of it.

A camera shot of him standing next to Buck in the dugout does not count unless the name is mentioned.

50 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Nope, it's gotta be an Orioles broadcast on MASN.  They actually have to say the name.  Bonus points for saying that an infielder worked with him, super extra mega bonus points for showing a clip of it.

A camera shot of him standing next to Buck in the dugout does not count unless the name is mentioned.

Does radio count?  I'm an avid listener to "Wave it Bye Bye", Ben, BRob and Co. (especially when, ya know, the rear admiral of the good ship Lollipop is chatting).  They don't pop Bobby's name as frequently as Jim and Bordy, but sometimes they rattle it around.  And side question, it doesn't have to be a defense-only reference right?  It can be how well he judges when to send (mostly) or put the stop sign on our hustling baserunners, I would think.  Thanks!  

p.s.  Trop tonight so no rainouts!  Looking forward to a good broadcast on MASN at one of the better venues in MLB!

p.s. 2 Season series bragging rights on the line (need 2 W's)

On 9/6/2018 at 8:31 AM, esmd said:

Well played, man, well played.  This got a pretty good laugh out of me this morning.  Can the Bobby Dickerson drinking game be far behind?

I participated in a drinking game during last night's Eagles/Falcons game where you drank every time someone said "Philly Special." Needless to say, I almost fell into a coma.

2 minutes ago, theocean said:

I participated in a drinking game during last night's Eagles/Falcons game where you drank every time someone said "Philly Special." Needless to say, I almost fell into a coma.

LOL - I am so far out of the NFL loop that I have no idea what "Philly Special" even refers to (nor do I care to).  

On 9/7/2018 at 8:43 AM, Moose Milligan said:

We had a few on the game thread last night.  I know @Can of Corn, @Going Underground, a late-arriving @scOtt and others contributed to the dismantling of Bundy, Ortiz and Co.  But did Bordy "go there"?

Archived