Mesa Brothers Declared Free Agents By MLB

section18

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

This is all about money. Miami is less of a factor because it’s not like they are major league ready. VVM would likely start out in A ball anyway. That’s 1-2 years away from the majors that’s not in Miami. 

I say package deal them. Offer them our max. Get it done. 

Well I can't imagine the O's offering less than Miami.  That would make us... unhappy.  

Anyway, to the victor go the Victor Victor and Victor.  

I haven't really noticed any tendency for Cuban defectors to prefer playing in Miami... especially for less money than offered to play elsewhere.  I don't see any reason to think the Mesa brothers have any special desire to throw away a lot of money in order to play in Miami when they reach the majors.

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Miami has a huge advantage here. 

If we were signing an Asian player and it was down to us and Miami I would have a lot more confidence.  All we have going for us being able to offer the most money. And to a player coming from nothing, what is a few million dollars when you stand to make millions regardless.  

Being the worst team in baseball by a large margin doesn't help either.  

Call me a pessimist, but I'm not expecting to land VVM.  Will be pleasantly surprised if we do.  I also wouldn't discount other teams being involved. 

I'm not sure if it would be possible for me to disagree more than I do with your logic here.  The ability to offer more money than anyone else is a huge stick to be carrying.  Your assertion that poor people don't appreciate the difference that a few million dollars makes doesn't make sense to me.  Sorry.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's assuming the Orioles are willing to spend more than the other teams.

They have the capability to spend more but that doesn't mean they will actually offer more.

I know many on this board are of the belief that all Oriole leadership employees are buffoons, but do you really believe that the Orioles would trade Gausman for lesser prospects in order to ensure the ability to offer Mesa the most money, as well as the money saved from O'Day's salary in order to actually pay Mesa if they do come to terms, only to then be unwilling to actually make the offer to Mesa?  I'm sorry, but I simply can't believe that the Orioles' management would be that illogical.

Just now, Number5 said:

I know many on this board are of the belief that all Oriole leadership employees are buffoons, but do you really believe that the Orioles would trade Gausman for lesser prospects in order to ensure the ability to offer Mesa the most money, as well as the money saved from O'Day's salary in order to actually pay Mesa if the do come to terms, only to than then be unwilling to actually make the offer to Mesa?  I'm sorry, but I simply can't believe that the Orioles' management would be that illogical.

That's fine.

I believe otherwise.

I think it is definitely possible that Dan traded for that slot money without a firm guarantee from ownership that they would be willing to spend that much.

We also don't know if the money they saved from O'Day is bookmarked for international players.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's fine.

I believe otherwise.

I think it is definitely possible that Dan traded for that slot money without a firm guarantee from ownership that they would be willing to spend that much.

We also don't know if the money they saved from O'Day is bookmarked for international players.

This is true.  My point is that the O'Day savings does indeed more than cover the entire amount the Orioles can now spend on international players.  In view of the Orioles long-time previous stance on international free agent signings, I think it is safe to say that the money that would be needed to sign Mesa and others was not initially budgeted for 2018, and would have to come from someplace if the Orioles have truly changed their philosophy on this.

Just now, Number5 said:

This is true.  My point is that the O'Day savings does indeed more than cover the entire amount the Orioles can now spend on international players.  In view of the Orioles long-time previous stance on international free agent signings, I think it is safe to say that the money that would be needed to sign Mesa and others was not initially budgeted for 2018, and would have to come from someplace if the Orioles have truly changed their philosophy on this.

As the saying goes:  Actions speak louder than words.

Words alone are not going to change my opinion on how the Orioles work.  Any good will from the announcement to increase international spending was killed by the Zoellner deal.

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

That's fine.

I believe otherwise.

This until there are real changes in how this organization operates.

As the saying goes:  Actions speak louder than words.

Words alone are not going to change my opinion on how the Orioles work.  Any good will from the announcement to increase international spending was killed by the Zoellner deal.

I don't agree.  The $750 K in slot money doesn't make a dent in our position in the Mesa negotiations, does it?  I don't believe the Orioles needed an additional $2.5 million in slot "money" in order to make the offer they had in mind for Mesa.  I think what's being overlooked about the $2.5 million obtained from the Braves was not merely to enable the Orioles to offer Mesa more, but, more importantly, prevented MIA,NYY, LAD, or any other team from making a trade to Atlanta to receive that $2.5 million in slot "money" and pushing said team close to or above the Orioles in the amount they could offer.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

I don't agree.  The $750 K in slot money doesn't make a dent in our position in the Mesa negotiations, does it?  I don't believe the Orioles needed an additional $2.5 million in slot "money" in order to make the offer they had in mind for Mesa.  I think what's being overlooked about the $2.5 million obtained from the Braves was not merely to enable the Orioles to offer Mesa more, but, more importantly, prevented MIA,NYY, LAD, or any other team from making a trade to Atlanta to receive that $2.5 million in slot "money" and pushing said team close to or above the Orioles in the amount they could offer.

I wasn't tying the 750K they threw away to Mesa. 

They gave it away when it didn't expire until the beginning of next July.  That doesn't make sense for a team trying to play catch up in the International market.

That is what a team that isn't really committed to spending would do.

I was tying the 750K they threw away to Mesa. 

They gave it away when it didn't expire until the beginning of next July.  That doesn't make sense for a team trying to play catch up in the International market.

That is what a team that isn't really committed to spending would do.

I presume you meant to say "wasn't tying...", but really, given the fact that the vast majority of the highly rated international free agents available in this signing period are signed or committed, it doesn't seem reasonable to me to think that Mesa isn't the driving force behind the Orioles' slot "money" position.  Why the Orioles are so high on Zoellner is a good question, but it is clear that they seem to be.  As to what, if anything, they would have been able to get in international free agency with that "money" that they can't get with the "money" remaining after the Zoellner deal is also questionable.

Archived