Joseph for the second time calls out the team

Going Underground

Buck seems like the Grandfather type that is done kicking and screaming. 

I’ll say it again, I know he’s talking about Tim Beckham. The guys not a winner.  Even though Villar has played well, there’s a reason Milwaukee got rid of him when they had a chance to compete. 

The rest of the team is made up of guys that have no MLB idendity. Buck brought a culture of winning here, but his message has either gotten stale or he’s just lost his will. Of course all of this would be solved with some actual talent but I think this means we need a big shake up. 

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

Wieters, Hardy even Tillman were considered leaders on the team. When did you hear them speak out? Did them not being outspoken change how they were viewed in the clubhouse? No. 

You can be a leader if you’re not vocal. It’s called leading by example.

Those guys played on the O's when we were winning. It was not necessary to call anyone out because the team was playing well and the results were good.

I would not call Tillman a leader. He came into camp out of shape in 2015 when a lot of people thought he was on the verge of stepping up to the next level.

4 hours ago, weams said:

That's right. Far too much credit is given to non playing components of a team. And minor leaguers struggling to get an MLB Job. Have 25 of the top guys of the 800 and you will win quite a bit. And then the chemistry will be just fine. Pies or no pies. 

Perhaps.  I will push back a little bit and suggest that the position of "baseball managers don't do very much" often neglects to consider the impact (or potentially lack thereof) they have on the on-field performance via their actions outside of games.  Managing a roomful of millionaires toward a common purpose is not an easy task.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’ll say it again, I know he’s talking about Tim Beckham. The guys not a winner.  Even though Villar has played well, there’s a reason Milwaukee got rid of him when they had a chance to compete. 

The rest of the team is made up of guys that have no MLB idendity. Buck brought a culture of winning here, but his message has either gotten stale or he’s just lost his will. Of course all of this would be solved with some actual talent but I think this means we need a big shake up. 

Or maybe they thought Jonathan Schoop was a big upgrade (thus helping said chance to compete)?

39 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Agree. He needs replacing as does DD and of course Brady. 

11 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Those guys played on the O's when we were winning. It was not necessary to call anyone out because the team was playing well and the results were good.

I would not call Tillman a leader. He came into camp out of shape in 2015 when a lot of people thought he was on the verge of stepping up to the next level.

The large roster turnover has lowered the average age inside the clubhouse and removed some voices that carried the most weight. And this is going back to Nick Markakis, Nelson Cruz, Matt Wieters and J.J. Hardy, among others, prior to trades that sent relievers Zach Britton and Darren O’Day packing.

....“A lot of the people you’re talking about was by example and the peer pressure that’s applied by the examples they set on how they play. There’s like three or four different sides to it. One, good players. But you also have to have a certain standard.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/09/showalter-on-leadership-inside-clubhouse.html

It’s not always about calling someone out. But there were stories of guys (Machado’s early antics come to mind) who policed the clubhouse.

Tillman was a leader amongst the pitchers, who became a tight knit group even if the results weren’t always there. And he performed at a good level for a while.

15 hours ago, weams said:

Who here believe that all three will go? Anyone? One person? 

I have defended all three for various reasons at various times.  But they should all go.  Hell, Im a glutton for punishment.  I thought we could keep Manny.  I'll say all three go.  But mostly because I believe that neither Buck nor Dan truly want to stay.  And because Brady likes his current gig that isn't accountable.  

Anyone else?

2 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I have defended all three for various reasons at various times.  But they should all go.  Hell, Im a glutton for punishment.  I thought we could keep Manny.  I'll say all three go.  But mostly because I believe that neither Buck nor Dan truly want to stay.  And because Brady likes his current gig that isn't accountable.  

Anyone else?

Do you believe they actually will?

18 hours ago, weams said:

Buck honored tonight.

Good, Buck deserves to be recognized for all the things he's done for this franchise and community. Take nothing away from this man for being an upstanding citizen and representative of the Orioles organization.

Just because his run here should be done, doesn't mean people should not look fondly upon the things that he did for this organization.

Archived