BR: O's farm system 18th; list of 10 prospects

wildcard

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Gausman would have had the 22nd best starter ERA in the AL in  2014 at 3.57 if he had enough innings to qualify.   in 2016 he did qualify with a 3.61 ERA good enough for 13th in the AL.

That trade was about as pathetic as trades get, and us O’s fans are experts in terrible trade survival. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

I appreciate the clarification.

That said, I'm a little uncomfortable with you taking the time to clarify your position.  This is the internet, you know. You really should have doubled down and called me an idiot (or something far more colorful)...

mr_chang_senor_chang_laugh_spits_milk.gi

9 minutes ago, Cy Bundy said:

Not only has he thrown 97 in Atl but he’s also:

Took me a minute but I found max velocity for each start.

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=592332&b_hand=-1&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&time=game&minmax=ci&var=maxmph&s_type=2&startDate=01/01/2018&endDate=01/01/2019

His high for the season is 99.67, with the Braves it is 98.81

10 hours ago, wildcard said:

Gausman is a star.  Just ask any one from the Braves and they will confirm it for you.

We don't know that. He's been successful with the Braves but it's a limited sample size. His ERA is outperforming his peripherals.

Obviously Arietta was too but at what point do you realize that it's just not going to work out in Baltimore? We can't develop pitching or fix it. That's a problem but teams aren't going to give us prospects for what they could be. We get value for what they are and have been.

7 hours ago, wildcard said:

I didn't say he was a great strikeout pitcher.   He has changed his pitching mix since going to the Braves.  He throws about a third on his pitches as spitters now.   It seem to be more effective.  I guess  McDowell just didn't know what to do to help him.   Still it must be nice that when he gets a ground ball there are fielders with enough range to get to it and throw runners out.   They probably know how to make a double play, something the O's had trouble with in in the 1st half.    And he can probably pitch  with more confidence knowing if he gives up runs  the team can still win. 

No doubt pitching in the NL is a little easier than pitching for the Orioles.  But the way the O's have played defensively and offensively will make pitchers feel like they don't have a lot of chances to win.

Gausman could have been the same star with the O's that he is with the Braves but the O's just didn't have the players to support him.  Gausman is pitching like a #1 pitcher for the Braves.   And the 1st place Brave love it.

This is ridiculous. He had similar stretches in Baltimore, hell, even better ones I'd guess. Gausman has not shown he can be consistent over the course of a season. He's in a new league where batters aren't familiar with him. Let's see what he does next year. He's been worth 4 wins once in his career. Your bar for a star is pretty darn low.

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

This is ridiculous. He had similar stretches in Baltimore, hell, even better ones I'd guess. Gausman has not shown he can be consistent over the course of a season. He's in a new league where batters aren't familiar with him. Let's see what he does next year. He's been worth 4 wins once in his career. Your bar for a star is pretty darn low.

I've watched a lot of NL games this year since the O's have been so bad. I don't care what anyone says - the pitcher batting makes a HUGE difference. Instant rally killer. Often an automatic out and at the very least, a low pitch count at bat.

20 minutes ago, theocean said:

I've watched a lot of NL games this year since the O's have been so bad. I don't care what anyone says - the pitcher batting makes a HUGE difference. Instant rally killer. Often an automatic out and at the very least, a low pitch count at bat.

Gerrit Cole disagrees. I have watched a lot of Ozark season 1.

I don’t really feel like looking it up, but I am certain that Gausman has done better at the end of the season than the first half.  Can’t say that the Braves have made him into the next Arrieta.

On the Arriera thing, I was crucified on here when I suggested that Arrieta got rather muscular with his Pilates during the off season before his Cy Young performance for the cubs (has not thing to do with Gausman nor do I think Gausman is juicing. Just had to throw in that I suspect Arrieta and his lack of follow up performance makes me think it is valid)

7 minutes ago, sevastras said:

I don’t really feel like looking it up, but I am certain that Gausman has done better at the end of the season than the first half.  Can’t say that the Braves have made him into the next Arrieta.

On the Arriera thing, I was crucified on here when I suggested that Arrieta got rather muscular with his Pilates during the off season before his Cy Young performance for the cubs (has not thing to do with Gausman nor do I think Gausman is juicing. Just had to throw in that I suspect Arrieta and his lack of follow up performance makes me think it is valid)

Jake had more pitches with more movement and the pitch that would prove to be his best is one he didn’t use much here. The cutter is taking over baseball, bum SPs like Chavez are going to Chicago and becoming high leverage RPs on that pitch alone, but nobody in Baltimore throws one. 

I believed that the Arrieta deal was awful when it was made - but as much as Dan frustrated me with that move - 18-28 other GMs should have offered Baltimore more and failed their organizations by not doing so. One team was willing to give a little bit for Strop and the future Cy Young award winner - we haven’t had the best timing when we sell, we sell low or not at all recently. 

In a world of advanced metrics players continue to reinvent themselves — launch angle and spin rate dominate discussions that used to be about going the other way and ERA. We are well behind the times, but money can update our organization overnight if we want to invest in elite analytics and the teachers of how to implement what the data suggests we must. 

12 hours ago, wildcard said:

I think you just proved that you are not Gausman's biggest fan. 

Gausman was playing with a terrible defense, offense and pen when he was with the O's.   He had a 3.67 ERA in 2014 and a 3.61 ERA in 2016 before the O's crumbled.   Over the last three years he has proven he  can make 30 or more starts per season.    Put a good club around him and he is a star.   That is what he is proving with the Braves.

Rotoworld:

Kevin Gausman racked up seven strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings of work in a no-decision against the Phillies on Thursday.

Gausman was tagged for three runs despite not allowing an extra-base hit over six-plus frames. He scattered five singles and only issued a pair of walks. The 27-year-old right-hander flummoxed the Phillies lineup by generating an eye-popping 12 swinging strikes on 32 splitters. He’s relied more heavily on the offering since arriving in Atlanta and the results have been astonishing. He’s 5-2 with a 2.80 ERA 

5 hours ago, Matt Bennett said:

We don't know that. He's been successful with the Braves but it's a limited sample size. His ERA is outperforming his peripherals.

Obviously Arietta was too but at what point do you realize that it's just not going to work out in Baltimore? We can't develop pitching or fix it. That's a problem but teams aren't going to give us prospects for what they could be. We get value for what they are and have been.

Its about time to put the small sample size away.  He has made 9 starts for them.  He is average 6 innings a start and has a 2.80 ERA.  

3 hours ago, sevastras said:

I didn't say Gausman is a Cy Young winner.

1 hour ago, Cy Bundy said:

Rotoworld:

Kevin Gausman racked up seven strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings of work in a no-decision against the Phillies on Thursday.

Gausman was tagged for three runs despite not allowing an extra-base hit over six-plus frames. He scattered five singles and only issued a pair of walks. The 27-year-old right-hander flummoxed the Phillies lineup by generating an eye-popping 12 swinging strikes on 32 splitters. He’s relied more heavily on the offering since arriving in Atlanta and the results have been astonishing. He’s 5-2 with a 2.80 ERA 

Astonishing

Archived