Internal manager candidates

Frobby

Sorry to make a separate thread for this, but I have a specific question.   If we were to choose someone already affiliated with the Orioles to be the new manager, who would you want it to be?     For this purpose, you can include retired players we think of as Orioles so long as they’re not affiliated with another organization now, or any of the O’s current major or minor league coaches?

Tony, if you read this, I’d be particularly interested in your views  as to who your top choice among our minor league coaches would be.    I’d think Ron Johnson and Gary Kendall both deserve some consideration.  

By the way, I by no means intend to imply that I think our search should be confined in this way.   I’m just curious who people would choose if we went that direction.   

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sorry to make a separate thread for this, but I have a specific question.   If we were to choose someone already affiliated with the Orioles to be the new manager, who would you want it to be?     For this purpose, you can include retired players we think of as Orioles so long as they’re not affiliated with another organization now, or any of the O’s current major or minor league coaches?

Tony, if you read this, I’d be particularly interested in your views  as to who your top choice among our minor league coaches would be.    I’d think Ron Johnson and Gary Kendall both deserve some consideration.  

By the way, I by no means intend to imply that I think our search should be confined in this way.   I’m just curious who people would choose if we went that direction.   

I have no idea Frobby. 

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Johnson and Kendall certainly merit consideration, but @Luke-OH suggestion of Buck Britton would be a bold move. That’s how I know he won’t get it.

Beyond that, I thought John Russell got a raw deal in Pittsburgh. The teams he managed were horrible. He had no shot of winning there. He’d get an interview from me.

5 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Johnson and Kendall certainly merit consideration, but @Luke-OH suggestion of Buck Britton would be a bold move. That’s how I know he won’t get it.

Beyond that, I thought John Russell got a raw deal in Pittsburgh. The teams he managed were horrible. He had no shot of winning there. He’d get an interview from me.

Why not? 

Bobby Dickerson  Managed 10 years in the minors with a .539 win percentage.

Managing

Year Age Tm Lg Lev Aff   G W L W-L%
10 Seasons   1556 838 717 .539
AA (5 seasons)   974 531 442 .546
AAA (3 seasons)   377 191 186 .507
Rk (2 seasons)   137 82 55 .599
FgW (1 season)   68 34 34 .500
1996 30 Bluefield APPY Rk BAL 1 of 1 68 42 26 .618
1997 31 Bluefield APPY Rk BAL 1 of 1 69 40 29 .580

2000 34 El Paso TL AA ARI 1 of 1 141 74 66 .529

2002 36 West Tenn SOUL AA CHC 1 of 1 140 73 67 .521
2003 37 West Tenn SOUL AA CHC 1 of 1 138 65 73 .471
2004 38 West Tenn SOUL AA CHC 1 of 1 138 70 68 .507
2005 39 West Tenn SOUL AA CHC 1 of 1 139 83 56 .597
2006 40 Iowa PCL AAA CHC 1 of 1 144 76 68 .528

2009 43 Mexicali MXPW FgW   1 of 1 68 34 34 .500
2009 43 Iowa PCL AAA CHC 1 of 1 144 72 72 .500
2010 44 Norfolk IL AAA BAL 2 of 2 89 43 46 .483

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I believe Boddy Dickerson will get poached if not offered a promotion. He made Manny. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

I believe Boddy Dickerson will get poached if not offered a promotion. He made Manny. 

Manny made Manny.    God given talent.   Even Dickerson would tell you that (and has).    Which isn’t to say that Dickerson didn’t help refine his natural skills.    

“A lot of guys will come out and absolutely kill themselves trying to figure something out and work all day every day.    Manny is just a super talent.   You give him some information, he applies it immediately.   He sees things pretty quickly on a baseball field, so the transitions have been pretty easy for him.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/orioles-move-into-second-half-without-machado.html

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Manny made Manny.    God given talent.   Even Dickerson would tell you that (and has).    Which isn’t to say that Dickerson didn’t help refine his natural skills.    

“A lot of guys will come out and absolutely kill themselves trying to figure something out and work all day every day.    Manny is just a super talent.   You give him some information, he applies it immediately.   He sees things pretty quickly on a baseball field, so the transitions have been pretty easy for him.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2018/07/orioles-move-into-second-half-without-machado.html

I think the Platinum glove came as a result of Manny listening to Bobby. And not his agent.  No end to his skills. 

Archived