John Means getting a chance

Legend_Of_Joey

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ohfan67 said:

And we've had a little taste of success. 

But all-in-all, we have not reached Syd Thrift levels yet. IMO. 

I dont think DD has tried to trade away players on under Orioles contract.

Syd could talk a good game, I loved listening to his interviews, he was a bright guy, that sadly stayed around too long in the business.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Why does this time period feel so much worse than with Syd Thrift was here?

Was it because Social Media hadn't taken over the world yet?

Few knew how bad things were with Thrift publicly until I put out my first manifesto on the Orioles front office ridiculousness. Part of it was the media just didn't want to mess with the Orioles and an owner that had no problem pulling money for advertising when things were written he didn't like. Plus, at the time the team was just starting it's 14 year run. Now we've had a 14-year run in recent memory and we're coming off historically the worse season for the Baltimore Orioles ever. Add in trading away the best pure talent the Orioles organization ever drafted and developed, no public comments from ownership, and the fact that this organization is a laughingstock within MLB, and it's a tough time to be a fan no doubt.

3 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

I dont think DD has tried to trade away players on under Orioles contract.

Syd could talk a good game, I loved listening to his interviews, he was a bright guy, that sadly stayed around too long in the business.

I'm convinced Thrift was in the early stages of Alzheimer towards the end of his run in Baltimore. He was once one of the best baseball minds out there so it was truly sad to see the guy at the end. 

o

Tonight's game with the Red Sox has been rained out.

In his previous outing against the Red Sox last month, Jimmy Yacabonis shut them out for 4 innings before they got to him in the 5th.

In his last outing against the Blue Jays 6 days ago, Yacabonis pitched 4 shutout innings and was removed from the game.

I would like to see Yacabonis pitch the first 4 innings of tomorrow's game, and then be taken out (regardless of what his pitch-count is at that point) and replaced by John Means.

Perhaps this could be a portent of things to come for the future ....... I have been proposing that the Orioles try a proverbial "5 and-a-half man rotation" for quite a while, and Yacabonis would likely be a prime candidate for that double-sided 5th spot in the rotation (2 starters piggy-backing off of each other every 5th game.).

o

54 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Few knew how bad things were with Thrift publicly until I put out my first manifesto on the Orioles front office ridiculousness. Part of it was the media just didn't want to mess with the Orioles and an owner that had no problem pulling money for advertising when things were written he didn't like. Plus, at the time the team was just starting it's 14 year run. Now we've had a 14-year run in recent memory and we're coming off historically the worse season for the Baltimore Orioles ever. Add in trading away the best pure talent the Orioles organization ever drafted and developed, no public comments from ownership, and the fact that this organization is a laughingstock within MLB, and it's a tough time to be a fan no doubt.

Tony

Sometimes it is so hard to read between the lines and discern what you are saying. Does this mean the Orioles will not win the World Series as soon as Buck leaves?

Dont sugar coat it, we can take it!

???

3 hours ago, foxfield said:

Tony

Sometimes it is so hard to read between the lines and discern what you are saying. Does this mean the Orioles will not win the World Series as soon as Buck leaves?

Dont sugar coat it, we can take it!

???

Don't ALL teams win immediately post Buck?

26 minutes ago, weams said:

Don't ALL teams win immediately post Buck ???

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

2006 Rangers  ........ lllll 80-82

2007 Rangers ........ llllll 75-87

22 minutes ago, weams said:

Well, there you go !!!

21 minutes ago, weams said:

Wait. Wasn't he still there ??? Didn't he get kicked upstairs ???

o

No.

He was hired by the Cleveland Indians as a senior advisor in December of 2006, 2 months after getting fired by the Rangers.

Indians Name Buck Showalter Senior Advisor to Baseball Operations

(MLB.com)

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/content/printer_friendly/cle/y2006/m12/d01/c1748745.jsp

o

Archived