Loverro: The Orioles could be sold this winter

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, maybenxtyr said:

The answer has to be 29 teams... right?

I mean, when you factor in everything, division, farm, and ML roster I don't think any team is in worse shape. That isn't even accounting for the owners.

5 years is a long time but I don't see them being competitive in that time frame.

Worst team in baseball, AL East, no impact players in the farm system. 

That's what I get.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt they'll be sold this winter. That's a short timetable, especially when the current owner is still living.

As for Angelos' time as owner, I think you'd be hard pressed to say it was anything other than a massive failure. 5 playoff appearances in 25 years, and no world series appearances in that time. Despite the fact that 22 franchises managed to get to one in that span. Terrible.

Just now, Satyr3206 said:

The longer that the FO says nothing the worse it gets. If your Captain is headed towards a reef and doesn't grab the wheel, then he shouldn't be a Captain. Leadership 101.

If he's the Captain he should be ordering the helmsman to grab the wheel.

Actual leadership 101.  ?

18 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Worst team in baseball, AL East, no impact players in the farm system. 

That's what I get.

Aaaaa,   DL Hall and Rodriguez could certainly be impact players.   Hays has been a top 100 prospect when healthy.   He sounds like an impact player.   The #1 draft choice next June should  be an impact player.

I would not say not impact players.  I would say not enough and most are years away.

6 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Aaaaa,   DL Hall and Rodriguez could certainly be impact players.   Hays has been a top 100 peospect when healthy.   He sounds like an impact player.   The #1 draft choice next June should  be an impact player.

I would not say not impact players.  I would say not enough and most are years away.

Hall might be, Hays might be.  Way too early to say Rodriguez might be.  Next June is next June.

Right now they look to have the type of players that are nice pieces.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Which actions?  We are talking about the business side of the O's.  So you object to the two 9 year olds or under getting in free or the fireworks or the concerts?

Putting O'Day into the Gausman trade.  Telling the team to have no official Adam Jones Celebration. The season ending and no one notifying Buck or DD. 

9 and under do not get in free.  They only get in free if they are wiling to sit in the cheap seats.  

As for concerts and fireworks that is cool.  But I am not sure it matters as the concerts they had weren't big names. Or hipster approved acts. 

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

The answer has to be 29 teams... right?

I mean, when you factor in everything, division, farm, and ML roster I don't think any team is in worse shape. That isn't even accounting for the owners.

5 years is a long time but I don't see them being competitive in that time frame.

What is our farm system rated right now?

12 hours ago, spiritof66 said:

What would be illegal, let alone "illegal as all get out," about the owners voting not to approve a transfer of the team to Angeloses's sons?

Are franchises looked at as separate entities/companies, or are all the 30 teams part of one company?  Should owners be called owners then?  Do they really own their team?  If I owned a house and I died and left it to my sons, could all my neighbors come in and say they can't own this house.  Or If I left them a car, would all the other car owners in my area vote to stop them from getting the car?  Can't Peter give the team to whoever he likes?

If not, then the plot from Little Big League is blown out of the water and has no credibility.  Childhood voided. 

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Are franchises looked at as separate entities/companies, or are all the 30 teams part of one company?  Should owners be called owners then?  Do they really own their team?  If I owned a house and I died and left it to my sons, could all my neighbors come in and say they can't own this house.  Or If I left them a car, would all the other car owners in my area vote to stop them from getting the car?  Can't Peter give the team to whoever he likes?

If not, then the plot from Little Big League is blown out of the water and has no credibility.  Childhood voided. 

Some Home owners associations can force you to sell your house. Certainly franchise owners in other businesses can be forced to sell or they can decide to rescind your franchise. 

57 minutes ago, atomic said:

Some Home owners associations can force you to sell your house. Certainly franchise owners in other businesses can be forced to sell or they can decide to rescind your franchise. 

Donald Sterling. Jerry Richardson. Marge Schott.

6 hours ago, theocean said:

Donald Sterling. Jerry Richardson. Marge Schott.

Exactly.  MLB and pretty much every other pro sports league is an exclusive club, the club gets to decide who will be a member and who will not.  I believe that if the Angelos family wants to retain control of the Orioles, they should settle the MASN dispute. 

16 hours ago, wildcard said:

Aaaaa,   DL Hall and Rodriguez could certainly be impact players.   Hays has been a top 100 peospect when healthy.   He sounds like an impact player.   The #1 draft choice next June should  be an impact player.

Plus Mesa Mesa, his brother, and the other highly touted International guy. Any of those could be and Diaz has a chance.

I think we have a chance with the number one, 2nd rounder, and the comp pick.

Sadly that have to get it right and picking guys like Greiner proves it’s no sure thing. Plus glove but I heard that there are doubts that he will hit enough to be a MLB player

Archived