Is it safe to say that the Orioles will win more games in 2019?

Diehard_O's_Fan

14 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

Is it safe to say that the Orioles will win more games next year than they did this year? The Orioles can't possibly be any worse, can they? I would hope that the Orioles could win atleast 65 to 70 games next season. I don't think that is unrealistic. Thoughts?

I certainly hope so. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A top 3 of healthy, prepared Bundy, Cobb, and Cashner with the Rays "opener" approach for the #4,5 could yield more wins.

Mullins - CF - Could OPS around .750 if all goes well with better D in CF than Jones was.

Villar - 2B - Speed in the first two slots.  Villar will be a positive WAR player next year.

Mancini - 1B - Great second half, I never bailed on him bc of his bat speed and its potential.

Trumbo -DH - If he's healthy he'll hit between 20-30 HRs with a sub .800 OPS

Nunez - 3B - Could be a .700+ OPS, 15-25 HRs, tin man at 3rd though.

Stewart - LF - I think he'll OPS .700+ with league avg D 

Beckham - RF (cut, then resign as a super utility, teach to play the OF, he's not an infielder.)

Wynns/Cisco - C - You want leadership here, but Wynns is going to be 28 and I feel like Sisco needs one more shot.

Sign Glove first, A+ fielder, don't care about bat - SS

Our pen could be a mess if Givens is dealt this offseason.  Gotta hope a few guys can step up. Maybe sign some milb FA ST Invite type guys and one or two pop.

I think best case scenario is 70 wins, but I look at that line up and it looks like it could be exciting as its certainly more athletic and I think that our top 3 starters are pretty good if they are pitching at their potential, and I wouldn't be overly surprised if they made a 'why not' run at least for the first couple months of the season as teams are still calibrating.  It will be much more exciting and promising to watch next year anyhow.  

18 hours ago, foxfield said:

So you are going to continue to play one of the worst players in baseball even if he continues to decline because you have 4 more years on a contract and well, we aren't good anyway?

Yup, I would.  

If the O's started showing signs of a being competitive again, then yeah I would entertain simply cutting Davis and eating the whole bad contract.   Otherwise I would be a total hardass and force him to play baseball if he won't take a buyout.  Would be a message to anyone that wants to sign a big contract here - don't expect to be able to take the easy way out if you start stinking up the joint.

I don't think Davis is going to be some barrier for the O's being good again.  You're talking one man on a 25 man roster.   

4 hours ago, GuidoSarducci said:

Yup, I would.  

If the O's started showing signs of a being competitive again, then yeah I would entertain simply cutting Davis and eating the whole bad contract.   Otherwise I would be a total hardass and force him to play baseball if he won't take a buyout.  Would be a message to anyone that wants to sign a big contract here - don't expect to be able to take the easy way out if you start stinking up the joint.

I don't think Davis is going to be some barrier for the O's being good again.  You're talking one man on a 25 man roster.   

Welcome aboard Father,

I agree with the idea of making him do something.  But it's not just 1 spot on a 25.  If he plays first, Mancini cannot.  If Mancini is in left then some young RF is not.  IF Trumbo isn't the DH, then he is in RF and another young OF is not.  Trumbo has a yr, so that does help, but it is not accurate to look at it as only one slot on the 25.  That is only true if you carry him and do not play him.  As soon as you put him on the lineup card, at 1b, he is making as many as 3 positions out of 8 change.

Archived