Will Givens be traded this offseason?

wildcard

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, wildcard said:

I was kind of surprised by Roch this morning.   Here is what he wrote:

The O's are unlikely to be a winning team next season.  A good closer will not make them a winning team IMO.   Givens will be 29 on May 13th.   He will probably not be with the O's when they are good team again.     Givens will be in his first arbitration year next year and though he will probably not make more than 2M there is not a lot of reason to pay him on a team that isn't likely to win.    If Givens can bring back a good prospect, would you trade him this off season?

Shouldn't he be? 

Did anyone else find Roch's blog post on this a little weird? Like, Roch states, "The Orioles won't consider trading Givens...." 

Um, who is "the Orioles" here? It's obviously no longer Buck or DD. Who is feeding Roch this info? The Angeloses are unwilling to trade Givens? Seems weird. Why would the owners care about a middle reliever and non-superstar?

Is this Brady feeding Roch stuff? If so, it's weird. Do we actually already have our GM? 

I think Givens is on the trade block.   Its just that the Orioles will hold is trade value high.   As if he was a successful closer.   Because he has the potential to be one.   If some other team agrees and makes the right offer, Givens  could be traded.  I doubt Roch saying he won't be traded is truly the case, if the right offer is received.

9 hours ago, jtschrei said:

Did anyone else find Roch's blog post on this a little weird? Like, Roch states, "The Orioles won't consider trading Givens...." 

Um, who is "the Orioles" here? It's obviously no longer Buck or DD. Who is feeding Roch this info? The Angeloses are unwilling to trade Givens? Seems weird. Why would the owners care about a middle reliever and non-superstar?

Is this Brady feeding Roch stuff? If so, it's weird. Do we actually already have our GM? 

Its not rocket science here. Key sentence in the Roch article. Under team control until 2021.

He is cheap enough, and they dont plan on trading him, I suspect, if somebody came calling with an overpay, they would listen.

Let's get a GM and let them decide.  Let them build the plan for the future.

There should be zero statements like this right now.  Otherwise, we still have a lot of frustration ahead of us (well....more than we already know we do...)

47 minutes ago, jerios55 said:

Let's get a GM and let them decide.  Let them build the plan for the future.

There should be zero statements like this right now.  Otherwise, we still have a lot of frustration ahead of us (well....more than we already know we do...)

Exactly. Why are the Orioles (through the team mouthpiece Roch Kubatko) putting out this story? Like, once we have a GM, he could decide he wanted to keep Givens or trade Givens. 

Unless we already have a GM (Brady)... 

Or the Angeloses put out the information, which is alarming because the GM should be making baseball personnel decisions. 

Either way, this kind of blog post is clearly meant to remind me that the Orioles are a messed up organization. I was getting my hopes up thinking that the sons might change things, but the familiar patterns are re-emerging... 

1 minute ago, jtschrei said:

Exactly. Why are the Orioles (through the team mouthpiece Roch Kubatko) putting out this story? Like, once we have a GM, he could decide he wanted to keep Givens or trade Givens. 

Or the Angeloses put out the information, which is alarming because the GM should be making baseball personnel decisions. 

Either way, this kind of blog post is clearly meant to remind me that the Orioles are a messed up organization. I was getting my hopes up thinking that the sons might change things, but the familiar patterns are re-emerging... 

To reassure the casual fan base that someone on the field next season will be an honest to goodness major league ballplayer.

11 hours ago, Papeete said:

Logic: You don't plan on winning immediately, therefore a closer is less important.

After the young players on such team puts in 200% effort to win games, to only lose frequently due to the lack of a closer, how motivated do you really think the young players will be motivated to put forth the extra effort.

Logic: Let's trade Givens for prospects.

Every time that you produce a player with value, you want to trade him for prospects . . . sounds like a perennial losing team. The Orioles don't have anyone on this team that is closer material. No proven MLB pitcher on this roster!

There is a significant number of posters on this board who would trade Willie Mays in his prime for prospects because they'd be solely worried about not trading him at peak value.

15 minutes ago, jtschrei said:

Maybe, you are overreacting.

Roch has a daily article to produce, so he is trying to give us information, he hopes that will appease the fanbase.

You turning this into Brady and the Angeloses conspiracy is far reach for myself.

Lets give the sons some space and lets see how they manage the GM search and other important decisions.

Archived