O's need to a plan for SS this season

ScGO's

6 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

This is the Orioles.  WE have no President, GM., Manager or Coaches that are under contract.  If the decision is made at shortstop prior to these people being in place then Villar not Beckham gives the team a better value.  This better value would translate into a better trade during the summer of 2019.  Beckham would seem to be in the boat with Chris Davis as asunk cost with little or no value going forward.  Having said that WHY would you keep him over Villar?????

Beckham is not in the same boat as Chris Davis because you can let him become a free agent without paying him a dime, by non-tendering him.

I'm not saying that's what I'd do but it's an option.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with the premise of the thread, which is that it would be nice to have a very good defensive shortstop on this rebuilding team. It seems unlikely to me that Beckham is that guy. I didn't watch Villar enough to have an opinion but his reputation as a SS (albeit when he was younger) was not great. It will be very interesting to see how the new front office and manager evaluate Beckham and Villar defensively at SS.

16 minutes ago, TGO said:

Beckham is not in the same boat as Chris Davis because you can let him become a free agent without paying him a dime, by non-tendering him.

I'm not saying that's what I'd do but it's an option.

My assumption of "The Same Boat"was from the premise that Villar gets cut/traded and they tender Beckham.  I would Non-Tender Beckham to keep this "Boat"
 with one tenant.

15 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

My assumption of "The Same Boat"was from the premise that Villar gets cut/traded and they tender Beckham.  I would Non-Tender Beckham to keep this "Boat"
 with one tenant.

Davis and Beckham dont believe in the same breath.

Beckham is making chump change compared to Davis.

Not sure why some posters are so worried about the tendered/non tendered part.

Its almost insignificant, compared to the GM/Manager questions.

On 10/13/2018 at 9:51 AM, drjohnnyfeva said:

I was going to suggest shortening the thread title just a bit:  "The Orioles need a plan for next year." :)

But I'll join the small chorus, so far, for bringing JJ Hardy back as a player manager.  I think he'd make a great coach for a young team.

I'd go for Matt Wieters, personally. Though JJ as a manager I'd like to see

7 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Davis and Beckham dont believe in the same breath.

Beckham is making chump change compared to Davis.

Not sure why some posters are so worried about the tendered/non tendered part.

Its almost insignificant, compared to the GM/Manager questions.

Not almost. 

Archived