The Victor Victor Mesa/Sandy Gaston thread

Luke-OH

Just now, higgybaby said:

Anybody think we have a chance of trading for more international money?

Yeah, but what if they really don't want to be here? It would have to be such an overpay and there's no guarantees it would be worth it. Let's face it, are any of these players really going to move the needle that far considering where we're at right now? 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, terphoopsfan said:

Yeah, but what if they really don't want to be here? It would have to be such an overpay and there's no guarantees it would be worth it. Let's face it, are any of these players really going to move the needle that far considering where we're at right now? 

You would have an understanding with the agent before trading for any more money. What is it going to take if we can get it? If we get that amount we have a deal.

3 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

You would have an understanding with the agent before trading for any more money. What is it going to take if we can get it? If we get that amount we have a deal.

That's what is alarming to me. Miami should have a clear understanding of what VVM is looking for. The fact that they just acquired some additional pool money speaks volumes.

6 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

That's what is alarming to me. Miami should have a clear understanding of what VVM is looking for. The fact that they just acquired some additional pool money speaks volumes.

Yes but apparently its not enough to trump what the Orioles can do, This is all laughable imo...They need to have an international draft even if they have to have one 2 times per year.

16 hours ago, Bradysburns said:

I keep hearing how much sense Miami makes... and I can see it on the surface, for sure. 

But thinking about it... WHY? If they Yankees had the money, everyone would be saying they're probably signing there. If Boston had the money... if LA had the money, etc. 

It's an excuse. Get there and throw everything we have at the Mesa family, and see what happens. Money usually talks. 

How do you know we haven't and that's why the Marlins are scrambling to find more funds?  

After reading everyone's comments, my opinion...the Orioles should tell the Mesa Brothers the entire amount is on the table for you two if you sign by Monday Night at midnight.  Otherwise, we are pulling the offer and spending the funds elsewhere.  That ultimatum would make the Brothers choose more money in Baltimore, or less money to play in Miami.  I know this isn't how negotiations typically go down, but why not try something new?  Why allow our offer to just sit there and let the Brothers use that offer against Miami?  It's no benefit to anyone except the Brothers.  

O's need to make the ultimatum, and at midnight tonight pull the offer.  Its the best way to make them choose.  

9 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

How do you know we haven't and that's why the Marlins are scrambling to find more funds?  

I won't be surprised if the O's don't sign the Mesa brothers and/or Gaston because of the 750k they traded away for nothing.  Or the O's will have to trade a real prospect to get less than 750k intl money back.  This organization seems like its runs by clowns sometimes. 

7 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

After reading everyone's comments, my opinion...the Orioles should tell the Mesa Brothers the entire amount is on the table for you two if you sign by Monday Night at midnight.  Otherwise, we are pulling the offer and spending the funds elsewhere.  That ultimatum would make the Brothers choose more money in Baltimore, or less money to play in Miami.  I know this isn't how negotiations typically go down, but why not try something new?  Why allow our offer to just sit there and let the Brothers use that offer against Miami?  It's no benefit to anyone except the Brothers.  

O's need to make the ultimatum, and at midnight tonight pull the offer.  Its the best way to make them choose.  

I agree!

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I won't be surprised if the O's don't sign the Mesa brothers and/or Gaston because of the 750k they traded away for nothing.  Or the O's will have to trade a real prospect to get less than 750k intl money back.  This organization seems like its runs by clowns sometimes. 

That money was given away by Duquette, who has been kindly asked by the Orioles Warehouse security team to leave his keys and badge at the front desk on his way out.  

People need to back off the name calling as well.  The insults thrown at the players and office personnel is uncalled for.  Does anyone really think Chris Davis is not a nice person just because he can't hit?  We can't control what people say to them at the stadium, but we used to have rules on the Hangout that personal insults were not allowed.  Calling guys "clowns" is insulting, even if that wasn't your intention. 

18 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

Fake deadline ultimatums when you have no leverage don't work.   The Mesa Brothers know that if they turn down the "ultimatum" and then the Marlins can't come up with more money, and they come back to us two weeks from now and say OK, we still want to sign, we'll gladly sign them.

Just now, Slappy said:

If we don’t get the Mesas, it won’t be because of money.  Miami just has way more to offer culturally.  That’s not a knock on Baltimore, it’s just true.

At some point money would overcome that.

We just don't know where that point is and if the O's could reach it.

Archived