Who Will Get Cut From The 40-Man By Opening Day?

Matt Bennett

On 10/14/2018 at 9:32 PM, wildcard said:

O's pick first in the Rule 5 draft this off season.   I expect they will select a Rule 5 player.

Yeah I agree. This is the year to carry three rule 5 guys imo. Not gonna win a ton of games anyway

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?  How likely is the 25th or whatever player picked to turn into something?  Very few of these guys end up as anything.

Because it doesn't hurt anything. Roll the dice on a couple of these guys and see what happens. If they fail they still win maybe 60 games next year

20 hours ago, Lucky_13 said:

Yeah I agree. This is the year to carry three rule 5 guys imo. Not gonna win a ton of games anyway

20 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why?  How likely is the 25th or whatever player picked to turn into something?  Very few of these guys end up as anything.

I think he simply means next year as opposed to “going for it” in 2018. More so than truly advocating for three rule V guys. Very few of our opening day “25” are going to end up as anything either. Well, unless you count albatross as “something”.

20 hours ago, foxfield said:

I think he simply means next year as opposed to “going for it” in 2018. More so than truly advocating for three rule V guys. Very few of our opening day “25” are going to end up as anything either. Well, unless you count albatross as “something”.

Since they changed the rule 5 eligibility several years ago there really aren't the guys available to make it worth it.  How many guys have we done this with and the best we got is Flaherty from it.  Since we have first pick we might want to take one if they think the guy is legit.  But no more taking guys just to take guys.

2 hours ago, atomic said:

Since they changed the rule 5 eligibility several years ago there really aren't the guys available to make it worth it.  How many guys have we done this with and the best we got is Flaherty from it.  Since we have first pick we might want to take one if they think the guy is legit.  But no more taking guys just to take guys.

Sure that’s fine by me 

I would non tender Beckham and Joseph. I keep saying, you sell me on going cheap by getting rid of o’day, well then you better get rid of these two. 

Wilkerson is 2B. Villar SS. Nunez 3B. 

Keep Ynoa. We need innings next year. Clear out filler. Protect people from rule 5. Yes, too lazy/it’s been too long for me to go into specifics. 

We are going to have a hard time filling innings next year.  All the prospects are still on the pitching side are still a year away, except for Ortiz and Rogers.

Can we draft Nestor Cortes again?  Haha.  Seriously, 2 pitchers in the rule 5 draft that can eat innings early in the season.  We should really implore this “opener” stuff on days the “big 3” don’t pitch.

Cobb

Cashner

Bundy

Opener(Hart), Castro 

Opener(Phillips), Bleier

Condition the relievers now.  We’re going to be thin at SP.  Get these relievers throwing 70+ IP.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I would non tender Beckham and Joseph. I keep saying, you sell me on going cheap by getting rid of o’day, well then you better get rid of these two. 

Keep Ynoa. We need innings next year. Clear out filler. Protect people from rule 5. Yes, too lazy/it’s been too long for me to go into specifics. 

We are going to have a hard time filling innings next year.  All the prospects are still on the pitching side are still a year away, except for Ortiz and Rogers.

Can we draft Nestor Cortes again?  Haha.  Seriously, 2 pitchers in the rule 5 draft that can eat innings early in the season.  We should really implore this “opener” stuff on days the “big 3” don’t pitch.

Cobb

Cashner

Bundy

Opener(Hart), Castro 

Opener(Phillips), Bleier

Condition the relievers now.  We’re going to be thin at SP.  Get these relievers throwing 70+ IP.

Hess should enter ST with a rotation spot.  What he does with it in ST in up to him. 

If not Caleb as the backup catcher to Wynns then who?   Neither Sisco nor Cervanka appear ready for the majors.  I am not for planning  on  players that are not ready for the majors getting O's roster spots.

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Cobb

Cashner

Bundy

Opener(Hart), Castro 

Opener(Phillips), Bleier

Neother Beckham or Joseph is big money and you dont have an every day catcher in the system.

2 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

Neother Beckham or Joseph is big money and you dont have an every day catcher in the system.

Austin Wynns started 89 games in AA  in 2017.   He drew out 38% of stealer and had a 998 fielding percentage.    He hit for a .377 OBP and a .796 OPS that season. If the can increase the workload by 15% he is over 100 games started.   Last season he had a 1.020 OPS vs lefties at AAA and a 844 OPS vs righties with the O's.   So he has shown something with the bat at each level, AA thur the majors.   If he begins ST as the O's starting catcher I would be fine with that.

9 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Austin Wynns started 89 games in AA  in 2017.   He drew out 38% of stealer and had a 998 fielding percentage.    He hit for a .377 OBP and a .796 OPS that season. If the can increase the workload by 15% he is over 100 games started.   Last season he had a 1.020 OPS vs lefties at AAA and a 844 OPS vs righties with the O's.   So he has shown something with the bat at each level, AA thur the majors.   If he begins ST as the O's starting catcher I would be fine with that.

So, you are happy with his 42 games this past season, to anoint him the daily starter?

I saw good things, but not sure is ready, at least probably for the backup role.

29 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

So, you are happy with his 42 games this past season, to anoint him the daily starter?

I saw good things, but not sure is ready, at least probably for the backup role.

He will be 28 in December.  He started 89 games in 2017 and 69 last year.   He showed something  good on offense and defense.  He is as ready as he ever will be.

What he needs is an opportunity.

Then if they sign Caleb as the backup I think they are covered at catcher.

5 hours ago, Redskins Rick said:

4 hours ago, wildcard said:

He will be 28 in December.  He started 89 games in 2017 and 69 last year.   He showed something  good on offense and defense.  He is as ready as he ever will be.

What he needs is an opportunity.

Then if they sign Caleb as the backup I think they are covered at catcher.

I think it will really depend on who the next manager is.

Buck liked Wynns. Buck didn't like Sisco much. If Buck was still here, I could see this scenario.

With a new manager, there could be any of the following:

1. Veteran catcher on a MiLB deal with Spring Training invite, with Sisco, Wynns, and Cervenka in camp to battle for the backup.

2. Wynns and Sisco, with Cervenka in camp. Wynns and Sisco split time during the season with either Audrey Perez or a AAAA or low cost veteran in Norfolk to mentor Cervenka and be an emergency backup incase of injury in Baltimore.

3. Joseph comes back and is the starter until July. Wynns, Sisco and Cervenka splitting time in Norfolk and one wins the backup job in Baltimore. Joseph leaves in July (either sent down or released) and one comes up. September, the other comes up.

4. Sisco or Wynns gets traded.

12 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

I think it will really depend on who the next manager is.

Buck liked Wynns. Buck didn't like Sisco much. If Buck was still here, I could see this scenario.

With a new manager, there could be any of the following:

1. Veteran catcher on a MiLB deal with Spring Training invite, with Sisco, Wynns, and Cervenka in camp to battle for the backup.

2. Wynns and Sisco, with Cervenka in camp. Wynns and Sisco split time during the season with either Audrey Perez or a AAAA or low cost veteran in Norfolk to mentor Cervenka and be an emergency backup incase of injury in Baltimore.

3. Joseph comes back and is the starter until July. Wynns, Sisco and Cervenka splitting time in Norfolk and one wins the backup job in Baltimore. Joseph leaves in July (either sent down or released) and one comes up. September, the other comes up.

4. Sisco or Wynns gets traded.

Buck expected his daily catcher to play defense behind the bag.

He bounced Clevenger who could hit, bounce to the minors to work on his game. Which to his credit he did.

Sisco with his weak defense was clearly not going to be a favorite of Buck.

Your note #3 would mean the team tenders Caleb, yet, thats something some posters clearly dont want.

Archived