A Few Questions About Some Former Orioles

TommyPickles

I’m curious where some of these people will end up, since I really haven’t seen much  in the way of news about any of them. Give me your best guess.

Buck Showalter: Will he land a new managerial job for 2019? There’s several vacancies but I haven’t seen him mentioned... Would he accept a lower coaching position? Is he done?

Adam Jones: This has been much discussed here, but hardly mentioned by the national media outlets. If he’s not coming back here, where will he end up? Will he be an everyday starter?

Ryan Flaherty: After a roaring start with the Braves this year, he cooled off significantly. He is reportedly still trying to play. He’s 32. Where do you see him ending up? Any chance he’d return to Bmore on a 1 year deal? If the price is right, we could use some stopgaps in the infield. (Notably, he’s also been mentioned as someone who could coach in the future. He’s well liked, knowledgeable, and fluent in Spanish)

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Buck - won't be a manager anywhere in 2019.

Jones - I don't think there'll be much of a market for Jones. Goes to San Diego or somewhere.

Flaherty - good guy, but I can't say I care where he ends up.

I thnk Buck retires to a part time gig somewhere, and by his choosing.

I dont see much of a market for Adam, and it wont not surprise me to see him retire out.

Ryan, might make a roster somewhere as a cheap and capable utility infielder, heck, he could even come back here, since they need 25 players and most spots are sitting open with question marks. Yes, I know, bring in the youngsters and throw them to the wind, but there are only so many of them.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I thnk Buck retires to a part time gig somewhere, and by his choosing.

I dont see much of a market for Adam, and it wont not surprise me to see him retire out.

Ryan, might make a roster somewhere as a cheap and capable utility infielder, heck, he could even come back here, since they need 25 players and most spots are sitting open with question marks. Yes, I know, bring in the youngsters and throw them to the wind, but there are only so many of them.

Jones isn't going to retire at 33.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Jones isn't going to retire at 33.

Did you see the part about not much of a market.

I dont see him getting a multi-year deal for decent money.

I dont see him really to pay for league veteran minimum.

With that said, if he doesnt have a contract, that is pretty much retirement.

6 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

Did you see the part about not much of a market.

I dont see him getting a multi-year deal for decent money.

I dont see him really to pay for league veteran minimum.

With that said, if he doesnt have a contract, that is pretty much retirement.

I think he plays in Japan before he retires at 33.

9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You point being?

I never said he had to keep working.

You know what my point was, its not like you are stupid or this is your first rodeo.

most guys dont willingly goto Japan and play ball, unless they desperately love the game and need the money and cant find a US job playing ball.

So let me get this straight. You all have been suggesting that the Orioles bring back  Nick Markakis for the last four years...and now you're suggesting the bring back JJ Hardy as a player coach...BUT you don't think Adam Jones can land a MLB deal somewhere/anywhere (i.e., he might play in Japan). It's like you have blind homer amnesia today! 

Cleveland was rumored as a landing spot when the trade rumors were swirling and I believe Brantley is a free agent this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up signing with the Indians for a modest two year deal (and yes, he's going to get more than the MLB minimum). 

Archived