So: at the end of the day, who was to blame for Chris Tillman?

interloper

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I would have rather seeing him to an incentive based MIL deal.

But, to me, it wasn't a huge deal either way.

He look like a low end filler, for the 5th SP, and typically, there is not enough of those to go around in the majors.

As I've already stated today it isn't a matter of it being a big deal to you.

The O's under Dan/Buck/Peter had already not shown the willingness to eat 3M contracts.  If Tillman and Rasmus has signed minor league deals they would have been a lot less likely to have made the OD roster.

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

The terms of the contract served as a no trade clause.

Exactly, when negotiating with someone, if they do not have any other viable offers, no need to sweeten the deal with a limited no trade clause.  Nothing more than another over reaction to losing Nelson Cruz.   Of course Trumbo is not the same type of player as Cruz either.

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

File this under the do not care category for me.  Tillman is gone, Buck is gone, DD is gone.  Unfortunately, Brady remains.  

I agree. Who was responsible for dumb stuff like the Tillman signing may have mattered when there were decisions to be made (and criticized or applauded) about retaining Duquette or Buck. What Brady or any Angelos did to close this deal doesn't affect my opinion of what their roles should be going forward. 

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

File this under the do not care category for me.  Tillman is gone, Buck is gone, DD is gone.  Unfortunately, Brady remains.  

I sign in on that also.  It means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things Orioles beyond 2018.

1 hour ago, spiritof66 said:

I agree. Who was responsible for dumb stuff like the Tillman signing may have mattered when there were decisions to be made (and criticized or applauded) about retaining Duquette or Buck. What Brady or any Angelos did to close this deal doesn't affect my opinion of what their roles should be going forward. 

If you think that Duquette and/or Showalter were solely responsible for the Tillman signing then it's a moot point. If you think others were involved (i.e., the sons, Brady, etc.) then it's not. That's the problem wit this organization. We don't know who to hold accountable for anything because their roles are so ambiguous and undefined. It's not a healthy way to run a business. 

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

If you think that Duquette and/or Showalter were solely responsible for the Tillman signing then it's a moot point. If you think others were involved (i.e., the sons, Brady, etc.) then it's not. That's the problem wit this organization. We don't know who to hold accountable for anything because their roles are so ambiguous and undefined. It's not a healthy way to run a business. 

That's true, but I already know that I don't want anyone whose last name starts with an "A" anywhere near player personnel decisions, so it doesn't matter whether any of them should be blamed by throwing away money (and starts) on Tillman.

Not that I would ever really know anyway.

5 hours ago, interloper said:

By which I mean, who ignored all the data that said the guy, even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and say he was actually healthy, had clearly lost the physical ability to pitch? Who thought, sure, give me 7 more starts of that guy for a few million dollars? 

You have to think it was Buck, especially in light of Dan's recent comments.

Me.

Archived