TT: Silence of Ownership is Deafening

Tony-OH

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

The glacial pace comment was directed toward the O's ownership reacting to all facets of the game not just the search for a GM/President.   I would also like to refute the three weeks as ownership knew months in advance that Andy was going to leave and seemingly made little attempt to line up a replacement until he'd actually left.  I believe his initial plan consisted solely of convincing Andy to stay.

Refute all you want; there is a process that has to be followed.  Permission has to be obtained and teams aren't going to grant that during the season.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What team was Dan working for again?

Remind me, was he Peter's first choice?  No.  He was the 6th person that interviewed.  Back a few pages, I gave the timeline on this.  Go back and read it.

How glacial of you, Pete.  You should've interviewed Dan first and wrapped it up in three days not three weeks.  WTH were you thinking being thorough?

12 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

In 2011, from start to finish, Peter Angelos hired his GM in three weeks.  "Glacial pace?"   
The Mets hired an agent for their GM.   That leaves only the Giants and Orioles still looking.  I'd like to believe that in this finite universe of candidates, there are more than two to choose from.   IF the sons screw this up, I'll be critical, but until that time,  I won't manufacture reasons to get worked up over this.

Roch

Trust me, people who interviewed for the jobs are antsy, wondering what’s taking so long. But ownership is quite comfortable with director of player development Brian Graham handling all of these tasks on an interim basis while interviews are held and final decisions are made. 

Just now, TonySoprano said:

Remind me, was he Peter's first choice?  No.  He was the 6th person that interviewed.  Back a few pages, I gave the timeline on this.  Go back and read it.

I'm aware of the timeline.

What I am saying is that ownership apparently made little or no attempt to solve the problem of Andy leaving until Andy actually left.  They were caught flat footed when someone left after making it clear they were going to leave.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

What I am saying is that ownership apparently made little or no attempt to solve the problem of Andy leaving until Andy actually left.  They were caught flat footed when someone left after making it clear they were going to leave.

Peter Angelos said "Andy is going nowhere."

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You really like to double or triple down when you're wrong.  Please enlighten us when Andy told Peter he wouldn't be back.  The two were friends. 

If you were really aware of the timeline, interviews started 10/17.  Two teams denied the Orioles the opportunity to interview their candidates, another refused on his own.  

Share with us how long you think the process should take since you define three weeks as "glacial."

Day 36.  A Nation Waits.

My issue isn't necessarily the waiting, it's the idea that the maroons in the front office should have had some idea heading into September that they weren't planning on bringing DD and Buck back.  

Even if they were 50/50 on whether DD and Buck should return heading into September, it would have been prudent to have drawn up a short list of candidates that they'd want to fill for both positions.  I don't think I'm wrong about this, for two reasons:  One, it's logical...and two, I've been a recruiter for far too long and a well run org would do something similar and any sports franchise has to do one thing, which is to recruit...at all levels, on the field and off.

So we can get uppity about whether they're being too slow or how methodical they need to be, but the title of the thread is exactly true.  At the very least, there's no reason to think that they're hot on the trail of any candidate.  They're not communicating with the fanbase to let them know "Hey, we know we had a terrible year, we know we know we need to get this on track and we're going to make it better."  There's none of that.  NONE.  Nothing to make any of us (the die-hard, rabid fans) or the casual fan think that they're working hard to make it better.  

16 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

You really like to double or triple down when you're wrong.  Please enlighten us when Andy told Peter he wouldn't be back.  The two were friends. 

If you were really aware of the timeline, interviews started 10/17.  Two teams denied the Orioles the opportunity to interview their candidates, another refused on his own.  

Share with us how long you think the process should take since you define three weeks as "glacial."

Now this does not definitively state that Andy told Peter but I'm going to toss it out there anyway.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/andy-macphail-stepping-down-from-orioles-post.html

MacPhail made his decision last month and told several fellow general managers in September that he wouldn't return in 2012, reports Bob Nightengale of USA Today

Now if you want to believe that Andy told other GMs and not ownership you go right ahead.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Now this does not definitively state that Andy told Peter but I'm going to toss it out there anyway.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/andy-macphail-stepping-down-from-orioles-post.html

Now if you want to believe that Andy told other GMs and not ownership you go right ahead.

Fourth time the charm?  Not so fast. 

Let's assume Andy decided sometime in August.  That does not change what I said earlier about a process needing to be followed.  If Peter waited until November to start interviewing, then you'd have a valid point.  He offered the job to LaCava, who declined the offer on November 1st and three days after that, banged out a contract with Duquette over the course of one weekend.  Does that sound indecisive to you?  

Still waiting for your insight how long the hiring should take.

7 minutes ago, TonySoprano said:

Fourth time the charm?  Not so fast. 

Let's assume Andy decided sometime in August.  That does not change what I said earlier about a process needing to be followed.  If Peter waited until November to start interviewing, then you'd have a valid point.  He offered the job to LaCava, who declined the offer on November 1st and three days after that, banged out a contract with Duquette over the course of one weekend.  Does that sound indecisive to you?  

Still waiting for your insight how long the hiring should take.

First off let me repeat, since you evidently missed it the first time, that by glacial pace I was not specifically referring to the process that resulted in Dan being hired, I was speaking of their overall pace.

Secondly, ground work can be done.  Steps can be taken.  This is true even if you cant interview everyone you want right away.

I saw no evidence that happened.

I'm not going to take you bait and give you a number.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

First off let me repeat, since you evidently missed it the first time, that by glacial pace I was not specifically referring to the process that resulted in Dan being hired, I was speaking of their overall pace.

Secondly, ground work can be done.  Steps can be taken.  This is true even if you cant interview everyone you want right away.

I saw no evidence that happened.

I'm not going to take you bait and give you a number.

I didn't miss anything.  You said, "No one wants to "rush" the signing.  Some of us want them to not act at the glacial pace of their father," referring to how long this should take to hire someone.  When I pointed out how long it took for Peter to make a similar decision, you tried to sidestep what you said before.    

02pink.jpg
Evidence?   

I wasn't aware that you were so connected with the inner workings of the Warehouse.  My bad.

Archived