Bleier and Trumbo injury updates

wildcard

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, atomic said:

You still need to make it through the season.  The way the team is pitching and Hyde overused guys in the first few games there is not going to be anyone left to pitch. 

I'd argue that not many, if any, of the pitchers on the O's right now are long term pieces.

My guess is that the strategy is let the guys with some potential trade value get in their innings. That would be Cobb, Cashner, Givens, Bundy.

Protect the guys who might have some long term value for the Os, such as Hess. See what you have in guys like Means and Castro. And then just burn through everyone else. Give them a shot. And then start to cycle in the more valuable prospects such as Scott from the minors later in the year.

My guess is that the innings pitched and outings numbers are going to look much different in the minors than on the big club this year, and that the prospects will be protected, developed, and brought up and still protected later in the year. 

• 4 weeks later...

o

(MAY 8th)

Richard Bleier started his rehab assignment tonight at Advanced-A Frederick, and allowed one run and two hits with a strikeout in the sixth inning.

The box score says that he threw 14 pitches, 9 of which were for strikes ........ more importantly, the Orioles are concerned with how his shoulder will feel in the morning.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/05/home-runs-hurt-orioles-again-in-8-5-loss.html

o

On 4/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, interloper said:

He is real bad right now. Is he way more side arm this season? If so, it's not working. 

Off topic so maybe this can be split out by a moderator,  but to answer the question, no I dont think so.  His statcast data looks pretty consistent year over year in height of release.

That said, I think he is tipping pitches.  His slider release point is farther toward 3B when he is off and is getting hit.  Case in point, the following are two games from castro this year.  In the Minnesota game Castro took 14 pitches to get through the inning.  You will see from the link that his release point for all pitches is right on top of each other.  The result was zero hits.

The Oakland game linked is a different story.  Castro gave up 5 hits in 40 pitches and you will see from the link that his sinker release point is inside and his release point for his slider is outside.

Statcast: Minnesota

Statcast: Oakland

Now I dont know what to gather from this.  I dont know if the difference in release points is perceptable to hitters?  It's also possible his outside release on the slider renders it less effective?  I didnt dive that deep.  But this is definitely something I would investigate to try and get him on track.

It's also worth noting Castro is supremely inconsistent with his release point.

1 hour ago, OFFNY said:

o

(MAY 8th)

Richard Bleier started his rehab assignment tonight at Advanced-A Frederick, and allowed one run and two hits with a strikeout in the sixth inning.

The box score says that he threw 14 pitches, 9 of which were for strikes ........ more importantly, the Orioles are concerned with how his shoulder will feel in the morning.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/05/home-runs-hurt-orioles-again-in-8-5-loss.html

o

Archived